2 Stroke OB's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Can you legally buy a new 2 stroke small OB (around 10 or 15 HP) in Canada and bring it back to US?

Tony I'm sure you can't but there's lots of excellent engines available on CL and other sources. Get a seller that will alow you to take the engine to an OB dealer w a tank and have it thoroughly checked out.

Can you legally buy a new 2 stroke small OB (around 10 or 15 HP) in Canada and bring it back to US?

No on both counts. The only two stroke outboards sold in the US or Canada are the direct injected Evinrude E-Tec engines which rival four strokes in efficiency.

Some of us who grew up on two strokes like their simplicity, light weight and low end torque. If you have a good one, hang on to it. But they do dump as much as 1/3 of their fuel and all of their oil into the environment.

I have hopes that Evinrude will eventually make a 10 hp E-Tec two stroke. They are already down to 15 hp having started with their much bigger engines. But the 15 hp is a 181 lb beast and building one that weighs less than the 81 lbs of their current 4 stroke will be tough.

David

ethanol fuel is reported to adversely reduce the lubrication of the fuel oil mix.

They sure were sweet engines

If you have a car you can find freshwater Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 short shaft engines on Craigslist for $300-500. I've heard you can still get new 2S Yamaha engines in the Caribbean.

No on both counts. The only two stroke outboards sold in the US or Canada are the direct injected Evinrude E-Tec engines which rival four strokes in efficiency.

Some of us who grew up on two strokes like their simplicity, light weight and low end torque. If you have a good one, hang on to it. But they do dump as much as 1/3 of their fuel and all of their oil into the environment.

I have hopes that Evinrude will eventually make a 10 hp E-Tec two stroke. They are already down to 15 hp having started with their much bigger engines. But the 15 hp is a 181 lb beast and building one that weighs less than the 81 lbs of their current 4 stroke will be tough.

David

I thought Yamaha was still selling their larger electronic 2 strokes here in the US???

So I have a circa 2002 Yamaha 15 hp 2-stroke. Pull start..one pull. Runs like a scalded cat. Has the "whale tail" cav plates added. It's sitting in storage. (I fogged it first).

I bought one in December of 2010...the last year(month) they could legally sell them. Still runs like a champ. I have dreams of a bigger dinghy(that's what she said) and one day I may(regret) sell it. Great engine!!

Two strokes are still sold in the English speaking islands of the Eastern Caribbean. From my observations the two strokes outsell the four stokes at least 5 to 1 in the 15 hp and less sizes. This is a factor of the weight and difficulty in pull starting the four stokes. Dinghies are used several times a day and frequently by the women at anchor.

Do people successfully use ethanol gas in two strokes?

Those 2 strokers were never made to run on ethanol gas. I still run an evenrude 15hp 2 cycle but I never ever run ethanol gas in it. Fuel lines, gaskets and plugs are subject to failure with that stuff.

It varies on how well older engines run on ethanol gas. I sold (just a year ago) a 1973 Buick and it ran fine on e-gas. Many other engines too. Actually most if my memory is any good. But most were run weekly or daily. It's the engines that sit for long periods that have troubles. We get and use e free gas for all our lawnmowers, tillers, weed eaters ect and all the outboards except the 60hp 4cyl 4 cycle Suzuki. But before we had e free gas we used reg unleaded and had problems at times but for the most part they ran fine. I always ran my outboards till they quit before putting them away. So it's not that big a deal .. but it is a deal. A free or not I still run my engines out of fuel .. till they quit.

I have a four stroke 25hp Mercury on a pontoon boat. If I use Ethanol gas I dump it after three weeks otherwise I have trouble with starting.

Given current regulations I have to travel to another county to buy Ethanol free gas.

I don't run anything out of fuel when shutting down. Some times I let engines sit for 3 to 6 months. Have no problems.

I do use Berryman B-12 Chemtool and Soltron gasoline additives in my 2 cycle tanks. I use Soltron only in my 4 cycle tanks that will have gasoline sit dormant for 6 months to 2 yrs.

I found it interesting in reading about the new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, which is designed to run all electric, hybrid, or gas, that it is programmed to know if the gas has been in it for 90 days and, if so, to switch to the gas mode to use it all up.

I don't run anything out of fuel when shutting down. Some times I let engines sit for 3 to 6 months. Have no problems.

I do use Berryman B-12 Chemtool and Soltron gasoline additives in my 2 cycle tanks. I use Soltron only in my 4 cycle tanks that will have gasoline sit dormant for 6 months to 2 yrs.

Art,
How much per gallon do those two additives cost?

I have a four stroke 25hp Mercury on a pontoon boat. If I use Ethanol gas I dump it after three weeks otherwise I have trouble with starting.

Given current regulations I have to travel to another county to buy Ethanol free gas.

Marty,
I have a 60hp Suzuki that's never had anything done to it's fuel system. Always runs perfect and it is almost never is used. I have run mostly reg unleaded fuel with the alcohol included.

Art,
How much per gallon do those two additives cost?

Not very much. Depends how much of which brand you put in, too.

Berryman is good for the goose and Soltron is good for the gander.

They accomplish different things to different items. Few bucks to keep fuel lines unclogged and carbs clean... as well as fuel fresh... = $$ well spent - IMO! :thumb:

Marty,
I have a 60hp Suzuki that's never had anything done to it's fuel system. Always runs perfect and it is almost never is used. I have run mostly reg unleaded fuel with the alcohol included.

Ditto - Regarding our 50 hp 1975 Johnson.

My best friend recently gave me a lightly used 1998 15HP Merc 2-stroke. I had been borrowing it since he wasn't using it and it runs like new. I seriously doubt it's got more than 100 hrs based on the history I know from the prior 2 owners.

Today I ordered a Garhauer lifting davit and Clevel EZ Lift motor lifting harness. I will use it to transfer the 77 lb motor from the dink to the transom mount, generously donated by Capt Bligh! I'll invest in a good locking cable and padlock to ensure its security.

easylift.jpg

Hoist%20path%202.jpg

I'll start a new thread on the lifting davit/motor mount installation. Love new boat projects! :D:dance:

Last edited:
As far as I know, no additives can prevent phase separation in ethanol gasoline.
Some additives claim to help, but I have not seen anything to confirm it.

Three Ethanol Myths Clarified - BoatUS Magazine

I consistently use Soltron at just a smidge over prescribed amount in Our Tolly's two 100 gallon aluminum gasoline tanks.

Had very dirty fuel in tanks when purchased boat... used Soltron at 3X amount then. Within a couple to three tank full [Soltron added each fillup] gasoline became spotless clean.

Before hand it was a freaking mess with fuel filters needing to be changed at 1/2 of full tank usage. Been nine [9] years since boat purchase and a soon cleaned fuel system. No problem since. No muck or water in filters since.

Have not needed to change a filter for years... even though I annually take the filter off and drain its contents into clear glass jar. Contents are so clean I pour it back into the canister and replace filter. I do have two sets of spare filters aboard - just incase need ever arises.

I will say....my Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke runs pretty well on E gas. BUT there are precautions to take. The biggest one, as Wifey B has already stated, is to use your boat!!! If the boat does not sit, there is no chance for the water to separate out of the gas. Secondly, as my Yamaha dealer told me, DO NOT run all of the gas out of the engine when you are done with it for long periods(ie to store it). What little is left in the bowl will likely be water and that water will sit in that bowl and f**k s**t up. I used to have issues with E gas but since I have been following his advice, no issues. My dinghy just sat for 6 months without use. Fired up on first pull and then we took it out for a 2 hour cruise and it did not hiccup.

I will say....my Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke runs pretty well on E gas. BUT there are precautions to take. The biggest one, as Wifey B has already stated, is to use your boat!!! If the boat does not sit, there is no chance for the water to separate out of the gas. Secondly, as my Yamaha dealer told me, DO NOT run all of the gas out of the engine when you are done with it for long periods(ie to store it). What little is left in the bowl will likely be water and that water will sit in that bowl and f**k s**t up. I used to have issues with E gas but since I have been following his advice, no issues. My dinghy just sat for 6 months without use. Fired up on first pull and then we took it out for a 2 hour cruise and it did not hiccup.

I much agree :thumb:... per... my post #17! :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom