Life's Uncertain Drink the Wine Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well you could always do it the hard way.

Sell the house first ( good luck with that ),* then buy for cash and move right aboard.

Your boat expenses would be your only living expenses.

My 2 cents*** JohnP

P.S.** On the plus side you may skip the next downwave of home depreciation.

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 06:27:06 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback. Both sides of the question have been discussed. While I won't say I have a scientific sample, it does seem that the older members on here tend to advise drink the wine now.

We have never financed our toys except for a ski condo. If you think boats are hard to sell now, try selling a ski condo on Mt Spokane in 1981! That's probably why we never financed a toy again. Lots of food for thought, thanks.

This is actually quite simple. Sell your living quarters and move on the boat.
No financing necessary

OR

If you are renting, buy the boat, move on it and the boat payment will be in lieu of rent.

That's a;; I have to offer.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Just keep in mind that Father Time stops for no one.

yachtbrokerguy wrote:

I could not possibly tell this to a client in person, "Buy now cause you might die or be too sick to buy later," but I can post it here.
*I thought that was what you said to me.* Well that's my wife's verison.
biggrin.gif

JD wrote:
yachtbrokerguy wrote:

I could not possibly tell this to a client in person, "Buy now cause you might die or be too sick to buy later," .........
*And why not? Obviously you are not from NYC* .
no.gif

I thought I was having a heart attack this weekend.

My left arm hurt and I was feeling a little tired.

We were discussing this very thread. One of the guys on board was a M.D. Friend of mine.

On further*Discussion *it had to have been that the Silvers were running and we boated a whopping 26. My left arm was just sore from fighting them. One was a 18# hen.

*Yeah buy a boat. Drink the wine.

*I did.* Also* Smoked my first A-Fuente Gran Reserva. Rated a 93. One fine Cigar.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 25th of July 2011 09:52:39 AM

I always hoped I'd be able to retire with a boat I could cruise around the Chesapeake Bay. As a younger man (still a younger) maybe much younger man I was into fishing offshore. My wife just enjoyed a little bottom fishing now and then. In 2002 I started running some sportfishing boats between VA. and FL. After a couple of trips the wife wanted to go. It only took three trips. Her third trip was a Feb. trip bringing a boat from Boca to VA cold even in FL. By the time we got to northern GA she was talking about living aboard. By NC she asked if we turned around how far south did I think we could get before the boat owner canceled his credit card (50' sportfish big fuel bill). I didn't pay much attention to her comments.

In the spring of 04' she asked if I was looking for a boat. We started talking about living aboard and what we wanted in a boat. I stumbled upon our current boat in August. It was a train wreck but we thought we could fix it up. I bought it for a third of the asking price and spent two years working on it... repower (gas to diesel), rewire, replumb and paint.

Moved aboard in Sept of 06., lower Chesapeake Bay, eastern shore. I figured when it got cold she would want to go home. Wrong three years later we were still on board and loving it. I purchased a piece of property with and old house on it and I was talking about rebuilding the house. Wife says I can come visit on the boat if I am planning on moving in the house she won't leave her boat.

Our son was killed in a motorcycle accident in late 09', as Christmas approached wife says I don't want to be here for Christmas. Our son had come home and spent the last three Christmas on the boat with us. We moved back to the house three weeks short of having been on the boat for three years. At this point in time she really doesn't care much about the boat doesn't want to move back aboard. We do still use it and take some long weekends.

The point is we decided not to wait until retirement to move aboard and we are glad we did. Too many friends have passed away, older friends with poor health. If you have the dream go for it. For us we just take it one day at a time and on the good days we talk about our time onboard and wonder if we will be healthy enough to fulfill the dream of cruising with the snowbirds when we retire.

Marsh Rat wrote:
I always hoped I'd be able to retire with a boat I could cruise around the Chesapeake Bay. As a younger man (still a younger) maybe much younger man I was into fishing offshore. My wife just enjoyed a little bottom fishing now and then. In 2002 I started running some sportfishing boats between VA. and FL. After a couple of trips the wife wanted to go. It only took three trips. Her third trip was a Feb. trip bringing a boat from Boca to VA cold even in FL. By the time we got to northern GA she was talking about living aboard. By NC she asked if we turned around how far south did I think we could get before the boat owner canceled his credit card (50' sportfish big fuel bill). I didn't pay much attention to her comments.

In the spring of 04' she asked if I was looking for a boat. We started talking about living aboard and what we wanted in a boat. I stumbled upon our current boat in August. It was a train wreck but we thought we could fix it up. I bought it for a third of the asking price and spent two years working on it... repower (gas to diesel), rewire, replumb and paint.

Moved aboard in Sept of 06., lower Chesapeake Bay, eastern shore. I figured when it got cold she would want to go home. Wrong three years later we were still on board and loving it. I purchased a piece of property with and old house on it and I was talking about rebuilding the house. Wife says I can come visit on the boat if I am planning on moving in the house she won't leave her boat.

Our son was killed in a motorcycle accident in late 09', as Christmas approached wife says I don't want to be here for Christmas. Our son had come home and spent the last three Christmas on the boat with us. We moved back to the house three weeks short of having been on the boat for three years. At this point in time she really doesn't care much about the boat doesn't want to move back aboard. We do still use it and take some long weekends.

The point is we decided not to wait until retirement to move aboard and we are glad we did. Too many friends have passed away, older friends with poor health. If you have the dream go for it. For us we just take it one day at a time and on the good days we talk about our time onboard and wonder if we will be healthy enough to fulfill the dream of cruising with the snowbirds when we retire.
*Jack,

So sorry for the loss of your son.* Maybe it's the boat that holds*to many*memories and you may need to change it out to a totally different boat to help.* Something to consider for sure.

But you are correct, there is no time like the present.

Hope you get back to cruising soon.

skipperdude wrote:*Also* Smoked my first A-Fuente Gran Reserva. Rated a 93. One fine Cigar.
SD*
Skip,

We have a store here in NC called JR's and they have some really fine knock offs of some really fine cigar makers including Arturo and may more at real reasonable rates.

I pass one of their store when I go to the boat so if you ever want some just shout out.

http://www.jrselma.com/*

So, bottle or box for you guys?

Being on a boat, and around any water I always feel better about the boxed, and I rarely finish a bottle, and I like how the box maintains freshness for a LONG time.

I think modern boxed wine has a bad rep, and they have come a long way, in attracting some higher caliber producer that use it.

I've had various luck, I'm a low-end wine snob, I like $2-$12 dollar range (2-buck Chuck in a bottle, is decent for the money...)..

but as far as boxed,* my fav now is Black Box Cabernet,,, about ~$20 bucks for 3liters...

It's true quality with a modern engineered delivery system,, I'd say the best (If they didn't see you serve it, nobody would ever think 'boxed'....

(Almaden,, blech!!!)..

What do you favor?

cheers!

Corbett Canyon in a box (Pinot Nior or Malbec) is my go-to selection ;-)

We like Bota Box, Late Bottle Vintage, and Malbec. The way the wine keeps is the delivery system eliminates any air from coming in contact with the wine. :)

Jim

A lot of you guys are talk'in like you must have a bigger yacht or you'll miss life. Get a grip. Life is'nt about toys but there's plenty of toys in life. But you're having a good life is'nt dependent on having toys and if it even comes close to that you're in need of fixing things much more serious in life than putting another toy in the toy box. And if you pass on the bigger yacht and buy a canoe you may find there's more value in the canoe. There's a lot of truth in the old saying "the amount of fun you have w your boat is inversely proportional to the size of your boat". Forget the debt. Debt is bad. Debt (or it's effects) is not something that will be a positive thing in later life. And if you are one of the people that think this economy is another bump in the road that added debt will probably ruin the rest of your life. My vote is with Marin. Nix on the wine.

nomadwilly wrote:
A lot of you guys are talk'in like you must have a bigger yacht or you'll miss life. Get a grip. Life is'nt about toys but there's plenty of toys in life. But you're having a good life is'nt dependent on having toys and if it even comes close to that you're in need of fixing things much more serious in life than putting another toy in the toy box. And if you pass on the bigger yacht and buy a canoe you may find there's more value in the canoe. There's a lot of truth in the old saying "the amount of fun you have w your boat is inversely proportional to the size of your boat". Forget the debt. Debt is bad. Debt (or it's effects) is not something that will be a positive thing in later life. And if you are one of the people that think this economy is another bump in the road that added debt will probably ruin the rest of your life. My vote is with Marin. Nix on the wine.
*I was 'on board' until your until your last 3 sentences....???

But, what I think you were getting at, was what if we do make and have the debt load later....

Easy to say screw it, if you're 70ish,,, but if you are 30ish, you ought to consider the world was supposed to end countless times before, and you ought not to plan your life like you are going to exit sooner than later... that's what separates the rich folks from the poor folks is 'training' and mentality... you need a LONG term plan...

No doubt there is '****' we all go through,, my family has had it all cancer, alzheimers, accidents blah blah so I know the possiblilites... but to live with the intention of exiting early is just giving up..

But!!! wine makes us happy now,,, irregardless of all that other crap.. so why nix on wine???

Perhaps Willy prefers a single-malt scotch?

I prefer the single-malt and a cigar. It's great while you ponder the long term and enjoy the view while swinging on the hook.

Thanks JD, I'm sure your right about the memories the boat holds. My problem is I have spent so much money in repower and upgrades I just can't make myself take the hit right now in the current economy. I feel selfish for thinking that way. But as long as the wife wants to do long weekends I remain hopeful. The boat memories are good ones.

Well I don't know about the no debt crap.
When I decided to build my boat I was 46 and not a lot of money, I had some assets.
I got the boat builder and we set on a plan. I would keep him employed at least 3 days a week.
Off we went.
It was a great ride , nearly 3 years ,I ended up broke, had re kindled my wood working and mechanical skills, owned my dream boat, had sold all my assets and drove a very old Toyota 240Y at the end of it.
Even had my pentax SLR stolen the day before we launched, had a full film of boat photos in it.
Move ahead some 17/18 years. I have recovered, have had a fantastic 16 years living on my boat have cruised ,fished,dived the Great Barrier Reef
enough to know it very well and am now ready to take on some much longer cruises such as over the to to the Kimberleys and possibly down south to Tasmania.
If I hadn't taken the plunge I probably wouldn't be in the situation I am now.
An old guy with my dream boat, a missus that puts up with my crap, but as happy as a pig in s***e and on the water both at work and play.

And I am still not convinced that there has been any good wine put in a box.
The only good part of box wine is the bladder , it makes a good pillow to rest your weary hungover head on.

Tidahapah wrote:And I am still not convinced that there has been any good wine put in a box.
*There may be some good (drinkable) but that is where it ends.*

JD wrote:Tidahapah wrote:And I am still not convinced that there has been any good wine put in a box.
*There may be some good (drinkable) but that is where it ends.*

*Have you guys even tried it??

Just for fun try a taste test challenge.. sounds like BotaBox and Black Box are worthy.

wine blog

NYT article

If you won't try it, BECAUSE it is in a box, you are missing out on some good wine, maintained at it's best.* That's why the premium guys are going to it,, it holds the wine much better than a bottle.

waterhawk wrote:**Have you guys even tried it??
Just for fun try a taste test challenge.. sounds like BotaBox and Black Box are worthy.

wine blog

NYT article

*If you won't try it, BECAUSE it is in a box, you are missing out on some good wine, maintained at it's best.* That's why the premium guys are going to it,, it holds the wine much better than a bottle.
Yes I have and as I said some are drinkable*as in OK. I agree that it is maintained at it's best due to the lack of air getting to it.* But presently it's best is not quite that good.* Just because it says Reserve on a bottle doesn't make it a good wine.* Cost more maybe but not good.

Let me give another example.* In Italy you can bring a large 5 gal size*glass*container to the winery and get some inexpensive*table wines that would knock your sox's off yet there are two things wrong with it.* It is only available as bulk at the vineyard and it is not bottled or nor*sold outside of Italy.* The same holds true for CA wines*as well.

A lot of CA wines are not available outside of CA so box or bottle makes no difference.* Also the box wines are not up there with some of the better wines.* So drinkable for sure but if you are having a special meal that requires a special wine they are not it.

A VW is not a Porsche no matter what color you paint it or what name badges*you put on it.

JD wrote:Yes I have and as I said some are drinkable*as in OK. I agree that it is maintained at it's best due to the lack of air getting to it.* But presently it's best is not quite that good.* Just because it says Reserve on a bottle doesn't make it a good wine.* Cost more maybe but not good.
Let me give another example.* In Italy you can bring a large 5 gal size*glass*container to the winery and get some inexpensive*table wines that would knock your sox's off yet there are two things wrong with it.* It is only available as bulk at the vineyard and it is not bottled or nor*sold outside of Italy.* The same holds true for CA wines*as well.

A lot of CA wines are not available outside of CA so box or bottle makes no difference.* Also the box wines are not up there with some of the better wines.* So drinkable for sure but if you are having a special meal that requires a special wine they are not it.

A VW is not a Porsche no matter what color you paint it or what name badges*you put on it.
Haha,, well said!* I'm on onboard.

You don't know how good the good wines are unless you've had a lot of experience with everything else! Not too often that a wine is truly undrinkable if you manage to get down the first glass or two.

dvd

dvd wrote:
You don't know how good the good wines are unless you've had a lot of experience with everything else! Not too often that a wine is truly undrinkable if you manage to get down the first glass or two.

dvd
*I'll drink to that!

You do realize that there are only 3 kinds of beer (or wine, gin, bourbon, etc),* right?

Cold beer

Warm beer

Free beer

That just cracks*my ass *up.

SD

Attachments

• ass.jpg
    ass.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 64
Just drink responsibly or you may truly regret it!

Attachments

• 51553e.jpg
    51553e.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 71
I'm no wine snob but I doubt that most people could really tell the difference between a bottled and boxed wine of similar quality in a true double blind taste test.** For most wine snobs much (if not most)*of the wine experience is in the packaging.* For us there's no better packaging than bags.* We have two drawers under the master bed that are full of bagged wine - no boxes.* And we have two boxes that the bags fit in.* So we can have a white or a zinfandel chilled in the fridge and a merlot sitting out on the counter.* Of course the label on the box bears no resemblance to what is inside it.* And we can cruise for months without running out.*

We just have to watch when we cross the border because both of our countries are so stupid about that experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom