Why.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewbieFromNJ

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
TBD
Why don't members put the year, make and model of their boats in their profiles? I think it is helpful in putting their comments in perspective.

Why don't members put the year, make and model of their boats in their profiles? I think it is helpful in putting their comments in perspective.

Don't mind the correction: Why some members...

They stopped making our boat in the 1980's so no matter what year it was made, it's old...there's pretty much no use putting the year in the profile.

Some people might have too many boats (is there such a thing?) and might not want to look like they're gloating :D

It may help put it into perspective...but in reality.....some may have operated a lot of different vessels and or worked on as many......

If you want specific info, always best to make your questions as specific as possible, and hopefully those responding will quantify and qualify their advice.

There are those that post here that may be out of boating presently, but have generations of knowledge to relate.

Some only have a year, no make or model are associated with my boat. 1953

I agree, lots of times I wonder what type of boat the poster has. Maybe if you have multiple boats, put in your favorite one.

I agree. Being able to look up the type of boat in the profile is helpful at time. There are some reasons why some folks don't want to show their boats. I have no problem with that but when there isn't a specific reason to NOT do it, I would prefer folks listed their boat make, model, and possibly year.

We do encourage the practice as much as possible. However, completing the profile and avatar and that sort of thing is what tends to not get properly completed if not done really early on, say, when first joining. :eek:

Once it's up there, not many folk re-examine their profile and signature and make additions or corrections. :nonono: They know it all. It's other folk who notice the lack of info, so thanks for raising it, NewbyFromNJ. Just hyuman nature, I suppose..? :D

OK - I'm posting just to see what it lists for words under my avatar. Have not looked for years - I think??

EDIT!

Oh, O - No year listed... Well folks - it's a 1977. Hope every one remembers from here on out... cause I'm satisfied the way things are.

Last edited:
Once it's up there, not many folk re-examine their profile and signature and make additions or corrections. :nonono: They know it all. It's other folk who notice the lack of info, so thanks for raising it, NewbyFromNJ. Just hyuman nature, I suppose..? :D

I just checked mine and see that I didn't include the year of my boat. I am on the app on the iPad and couldn't figure out how to edit my profile. Yet another technical fail on my part. :)

Talking about my own, specifying years, model or maker would not help as like specified as a "custom made" it is a one of a kind :) But for any curious aficionados the hull is a Lang, the engine is an Acadia from Nova Scotia and it was built by Mr Reynald Vezina in Quebec City :)

L.

Talking about my own, specifying years, model or maker would not help as like specified as a "custom made" it is a one of a kind :) But for any curious aficionados the hull is a Lang, the engine is an Acadia from Nova Scotia and it was built by Mr Reynald Vezina in Quebec City :)

L.

You mean Ted Lang?

L.

You mean Ted Lang?

There, see...that's interesting stuff. Art thinks he knows the guy who built the hull even... :)

Only 8 of my boat ever made - from 1987-1992. Mine is hull number 5 from 1988.

Richard

I note you have no boat listed in your profile.

There, see...that's interesting stuff. Art thinks he knows the guy who built the hull even... :)

Big story being Ted Lang boat building and sales. From Freeport LI, NY... to Maine... To Canada... and Back. My dad was lead purchasing agent for one sequence and I worked in one of Ted's boat building factories. Not all of the Lang story is pretty, some portions seem OK. Started in 1940's and ended some time in the 90's. From what I know! ;)

I knew Ted from when I was in grade school through my early 20's.

click your name above avatar, click my profile, click pencil icon to edit (make sure your signed in)

You mean Ted Lang?

Yup Ted Lang hull. The guy who built my boat got the Lang hull and built the remaining himself. I think I am the only one that have a Lang boat with aft cabin :)

L.

"Why don't members put the year, make and model of their boats in their profiles? I think it is helpful in putting their comments in perspective."

Because many have been boating for decades , 6 in my case.

Do you really need a list of every boat I have owned , built or rebuilt in 60 years to evaluate a posting?

What you get on any board is an opinion , decide for yourself if its valid.

Big story being Ted Lang boat building and sales. From Freeport LI, NY... to Maine... To Canada... and Back. My dad was lead purchasing agent for one sequence and I worked in one of Ted's boat building factories. Not all of the Lang story is pretty, some portions seem OK. Started in 1940's and ended some time in the 90's. From what I know! ;)

I knew Ted from when I was in grade school through my early 20's.

Oh very interesting, I search for information on Ted Lang boats and was not able to find much. One other guy here on the forum own a Lang (johnnypipes) but except for the hull mine is different.
I am very proud to own kind of a piece of history and try to keep/make it great.

L.

Mine is one of I think only three hulls . The builder built a few 36 footers and several 26 ft (I think) tugs . The builder is Andre Bilodeau . He wrote a couple books on foam core construction. The title of one is :
"Building Your Hull With Bead and Cove Foam System Using Core Cell Foam "

Mine is one of I think only three hulls . The builder built a few 36 footers and several 26 ft (I think) tugs . The builder is Andre Bilodeau . He wrote a couple books on foam core construction. The title of one is :
"Building Your Hull With Bead and Cove Foam System Using Core Cell Foam "

The name sound like coming from Quebec, Bilodeau is a very common name up here.

L.

My thought is because if you put city, country, vessel year, make, model and name, you can now identify exactly who I am. some folks like to maintain a certain level of anonymity.

You might not like my opinion. I might not want you walking do the dock to continue having your 'discussion' with me when I'm with my family.

I'm "between boats" but will update the profile with my last one...

Greetings,
Mr. S. I'm with you! I don't think what vessel I may or may not have has any bearing on my posts other than I DO have some familiarity with equipment I may or may not have on board similar to others...Maybe or maybe not.

200.gif

Yup Ted Lang hull. The guy who built my boat got the Lang hull and built the remaining himself. I think I am the only one that have a Lang boat with aft cabin :)

L.

Lou - Thought I somehow recognized that hull as a Lang. Thing I could not get clear in my head was the superstructure design, aft cabin especially. Thanks for info.

Do you know where the guy who built your boat found the hull? Was it in Canada or Maine?

Back in 1950's / 60's "Ted Lang" yacht sales [not boat builders] was on Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, LI, NY. 1965 dad purchased a 38' sport fisher, raised deck boat off Ted's yard. We spent the next few years making it cherry and adding an enclosed salon as well as repowering with a Perkins diesel. That boat was a woody with keel laid 1951 at Brooklyn Navy Yard. She was a beauty!

Ted moved operations to near Rockland Maine in 1970. He began a BIG boat manufacturing plant. 26' to 70'. Mostly fiberglass and some large woodys. Economy fell on hard times. Ted suddenly closed shop and disappeared... with most of the equipment and some of the boats. I heard he showed up in Canada and started boat building again?? Then I heard in the 80's he'd closed Canada operations and started building again in the Carolinas or a state near by.

Yours is the only one of three Lang hulls/boats I've seen or heard of in years. I worked for Ted building fiberglass boats when first out of HS.

Last edited:
Lou - Thought I somehow recognized that hull as a Lang. Thing I could not get clear in my head was the superstructure design, aft cabin especially. Thanks for info.

Do you know where the guy who built your boat found the hull? Was it in Canada or Maine?

Back in 1950's / 60's "Ted Lang" yacht sales [not boat builders] was on Woodcleft Canal, Freeport, LI, NY. 1965 dad purchased a 38' sport fisher, raised deck boat off Ted's yard. We spent the next few years making it cherry and adding an enclosed salon as well as repowering with a Perkins diesel. That boat was a woody with keel laid 1951 at Brooklyn Navy Yard. She was a beauty!

Ted moved operations to near Rockland Maine in 1970. He began a BIG boat manufacturing plant. 26' to 70'. Mostly fiberglass and some large woodys. Economy fell on hard times. Ted suddenly closed shop and disappeared... with most of the equipment and some of the boats. I heard he showed up in Canada and started boat building again?? Then I heard in the 80's he'd closed Canada operations and started building again in the Carolinas or a state near by.

Yours is the only one of three Lang hulls/boats I've seen or heard of in years. I worked for Ted building fiberglass boats when first out of HS.

Art, unfortunately I do not know where the builder got the hull. I tried to get trace to the guy but was not able to find him.
He built the boat in 1994 than sold it 2 years after to the PO who was barely using it. It stayed some years on the hard as the PO was living in Europe for a while than got back to water and finally last year sold to me.

L.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom