View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #16
foggysail
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Here is an advert for a Clipper 40 with the dinghy where you would like it. They use a crane, supported through the FB to the lower deck, to lift/lower it. Go through the pics, some may be helpful. Used Clipper 40 for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub. Note Clipper 40s are built solid, like the proverbial brick outhouse.

Didn't follow your posted URLs but a crane is the way to go. I installed a crane on my boat (used from Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale) right after I purchased the boat. I also fabricated aluminum chocks that I mounted onto our front deck in a manner to that didn't block an exit hatch. My dinghy sits perpendicular to the boat's rhumb line. The base of the crane is plate mounted to the deck along with a 4" aluminum support pipe that passes through the deck into an interior closet. I mounted a base for the pipe which absorbs the mechanical vertical forces; the deck plate transfers the horizontal forces to the deck proper.

I pick the dinghy up, fully loaded including the outboard, swing the crane over the water and lower the dink into it. REverse process for retrieving it.

I strongly prefer a davit crane.........but I am not the one with the OP's problem.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote