Batteries and New Battery Technologies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
Japanese company Power Japan Plus has announced the development and planned mass-production of "Ryden," a disruptive carbon battery that can be charged 20 times faster than an ordinary lithium-ion cell. The battery, which is cheap to manufacture, safe, and environmentally friendly, could be ideal to improve the range and charging times of electric cars.

New "dual carbon" battery charges 20 times faster than Li-ion

That video doesn't exactly spell out the 'internal' of that new battery technology, but I might be will to bet it has something to do with this 'Graphene' technology considering its all carbon basis, its high capacity, and its high charge rate....all properties of grapheme,...maybe in a rolled up form?
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Scientific breakthrough, WOW, Graphene

Last edited:
I guess this is a stepping stone to building a large AH battery that we could use in our boats using Grapene technology or a carbon based battery?
Perhaps I'm wrong?
Bill

I guess this is a stepping stone to building a large AH battery that we could use in our boats using Grapene technology or a carbon based battery?
Perhaps I'm wrong?
Bill
No you are right!! Sooner or later they will come up with a safe suitable design to improve battery storage technology for transportation. We just have to have a little patience though and not jump at the first thing that hits the market. :nonono:

Very interesting. Think how much more time and energy we could have to argue about anchors if battery systems were quick, easy, and simple.

We're quite happy with our now two-year old Oasis carbon foam batteries. Although they don't charge 20 times faster, they charge at least twice as fast as our previous bank of lead acid batts (and last twice as long, to use layman's terminology).

We're quite happy with our now two-year old Oasis carbon foam batteries. Although they don't charge 20 times faster, they charge at least twice as fast as our previous bank of lead acid batts (and last twice as long, to use layman's terminology).

As I look forward to replacing a house bank, that is one of the options that I am considering. Have you had a chance to see how much capacity they have lost over the past couple of years?

As I look forward to replacing a house bank, that is one of the options that I am considering. Have you had a chance to see how much capacity they have lost over the past couple of years?

Well, I don't think I'm able to answer that question with any technical accuracy. But I can relate some recent experiences. Twice in the last few months I've forgotten to turn the charger back on after leaving it off. We leave the dock to pump out twice a month, and every other time once we hook back up to shore power I leave the charger off. Usually for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours, we're typically down to 12.3 (after using approximately 150 amp hours). Then I turn the battery charger back on.

The first time I forgot was back in March. We came back to the slip on a Thursday evening about 6:00pm. On Sunday morning at 11:30 I finally realized I had forgotten (water pump was dragging a bit...) and turned the charger on. The batts had dropped to 11.5 over 65 hours!

A couple weeks ago, I did it again. Though this time it was only for 48 hours. Batts were down to 11.9. Both times they charged back to 13.3 within 8 hours. (I'm now developing the habit of placing a sticky on the aft door that says "Batteries!" so I never forget again...)

Then, just last week we had a battery selector switch fail. It had developed a short and was not allowing the charger to send any amps back to the bank. After 40 hours the batteries were down 12.0-12.1. Installed new switch, and they charged back up like normal.

We haven't anchored out for an extended period yet this year, so all I can say is they SEEM to be performing as expected. That, and I'm really thankful we have these Firefly Oasis batteries. I think we've tested the claims they can be discharged 80% or more of rated capacity with harming them. Otherwise, I would have killed a couple of banks worth by now!

Hope that helps...

" Sooner or later they will come up with a safe suitable design to improve battery storage technology for transportation. We just have to have a little patience though and not jump at the first thing that hits the market."

Close to 150 years of waiting so far.

When I bought my last bunch of batteries in Ireland, I would have bought the Firefly's Carbon Foam batteries had they been available.

They are on the top of the list for the next time.
i will never use LiFePO4 on the boat.

Well, I don't think I'm able to answer that question with any technical accuracy. But I can relate some recent experiences. Twice in the last few months I've forgotten to turn the charger back on after leaving it off.
Not that you get that much sunshine out there :blush:, but have you considered employing a solar trickle charger to keep batteries fully charged?

I've had several folks tell me they work wonders for boats that sit inactive for long periods. And for boats that don't want to have a dockside power source constantly connected to their batteries.

Not that you get that much sunshine out there :blush:, but have you considered employing a solar trickle charger to keep batteries fully charged?

I've had several folks tell me they work wonders for boats that sit inactive for long periods. And for boats that don't want to have a dockside power source constantly connected to their batteries.

That is true. In this case I believe Darren and his family live aboard, so the boat never sits idle. My boat does sit idle for weeks at a time, but I want dockside power to run my oil pan heater and dehumidifiers. If I was just keeping the batteries topped off and the refer going, then a small solar array would be great. That is actually something that I have considered as it would work well in the two months of the year that aren't as cold and wet and for the long weekends and week long trips to help keep the batteries topped off.

Well, I don't think I'm able to answer that question with any technical accuracy. But I can relate some recent experiences. Twice in the last few months I've forgotten to turn the charger back on after leaving it off. We leave the dock to pump out twice a month, and every other time once we hook back up to shore power I leave the charger off. Usually for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours, we're typically down to 12.3 (after using approximately 150 amp hours). Then I turn the battery charger back on.

The first time I forgot was back in March. We came back to the slip on a Thursday evening about 6:00pm. On Sunday morning at 11:30 I finally realized I had forgotten (water pump was dragging a bit...) and turned the charger on. The batts had dropped to 11.5 over 65 hours!

A couple weeks ago, I did it again. Though this time it was only for 48 hours. Batts were down to 11.9. Both times they charged back to 13.3 within 8 hours. (I'm now developing the habit of placing a sticky on the aft door that says "Batteries!" so I never forget again...)

Then, just last week we had a battery selector switch fail. It had developed a short and was not allowing the charger to send any amps back to the bank. After 40 hours the batteries were down 12.0-12.1. Installed new switch, and they charged back up like normal.

We haven't anchored out for an extended period yet this year, so all I can say is they SEEM to be performing as expected. That, and I'm really thankful we have these Firefly Oasis batteries. I think we've tested the claims they can be discharged 80% or more of rated capacity with harming them. Otherwise, I would have killed a couple of banks worth by now!

Hope that helps...

I solved that charger off issue for myself.
I bought a two pole Double throw 30 amp (DPDT) power relay with 120vac coil.
When the boat plugs into shore power, it activates the relay coil and switches power over to shore power for the charger. When unplugged, the relay de-energizes and switches charger power to be sourced from the generator. So fully automatic, just have to remember to plug in the cord to the marina.
The relay switches hots and neutrals together. It is an open faced relay, so I bought 2 metal square work boxes, painted them and the relay sits in the two boxes which face each other. and I leave the charger switch set to on all the time.

The Onan generator is a 'control-o-matic' with auto start on demand, or you can just turn it on automatically. I never use the autostart feature. But in case i did, I did not want the charger to always runs the gen, so I sourced the AC coming from gen that goes to the charger before the gen's built in current sense coil.

A relay like this will work fine

Attachments

• dpdt relay.jpg
    dpdt relay.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I believe in science. I believe in better batteries coming along all the time via hi-tech batt improvements. I believe that I am not a batt scientist and that these hi-tech advancements are way over my head. I also believe that I will use the better batts as they come along for service.

What I do not believe is "perpetual motion". Such That: Power In = Power Out... minus some power loss due to conversion factors; sometimes as much as 18% loss.

In other words: It only seems logical that no energy storage device can expel more useful energy during its out-flow-energy operation than came into it via some sort of charging during it's in-flow-energy sequence. Otherwise we have perpetual motion and everyone in the world should soon be able to retire... or at very least take exceptionally long vacations. :D :thumb:

Happy Batt-Science Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom