First trip to the Bahamas--need a plan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Dodge guides are where it is at for the Abacos.

I ran trawler speeds from Stuart to Great Sale, overnighted and then to GTC.

On the way back I ran at 17kts from GTC to Stuart.

It's an easy trip and there are a bunch of boats coming and going normally.

There is no way to accurately correct for the stream.

It constantly changes as Keys disease posted, there are variations all the way across, and if going in near West End, sometimes the countercurrents are pushing you.

The best you are going to do is look at the most recent stream maps on one of the internet sites and guess.....

The tiny bit that the AP may not correct immediately for and great circle error in this case I am guessing is probably not even noticeable.....as long as you are going to a waypoint.

Just make sure you are using the AP to goto a waypoint or follow a route.....if just using heading control....then a southerly offset is necessary for your heading and that gets more complicated, but not scary as long as you have GPS telling you where you are.

The calculation of how much the stream is going to slow you down depends on your speed and your crab angle. In the long run it isn't going g to be all that bad at 8 knot boat speed over the whole run, and the way I look at it, it is what it is and all you can do to minimize it is make the run either due East or slightly Northeast instead of from a more Southeastern route.

Last edited:
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• IMG_3271.jpg
    IMG_3271.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 104
The Navionics charts have many more tide stations than the Garmin charts.

You can also put Furuno Time Zero charting on your iPad which will allow you to use the Explorer charts in digital form.

If you like beer bring lots of it.

Make sure you aircon systems are in tip top shape. And bring spares for them.

If you like diet sodas they can be hard to find in places.

Bring frozen bait if you like to bottom fish. As well as a chum block or two if you have the space.

Don't forget extra batteries.

If you are going to be using your genset a lot bring the proper spares and tools for it.

Two weeks is not enough time. If you are limited to that, consider having someone deliver the boat to and from do you get the maximum time in the islands.

In other words bring everything you think you will eat, drink or use.
That's the Bahamas.
(also include $300 cash to pay at the boarder crossing)

I love old school navigation....but also love the goto waypoint feature on APs....:D

This might help too if old school...just need the up to date one, easily obtained off the web.

Attachments

• 000.png
    000.png
    24 KB · Views: 91
It's embarrassing to admit, but since I've been mostly an ICW Cruiser (other than when I cut across the Gulf from Clearwater to Panama City), I'm jut not very familiar with navigation. When I did that gulf crossing I just zoomed out on the Garmin plotter to set a point and used the "go to" or "navigate to" function, or whatever it's called. That gave me a line that the boat followed IIRC, but there was no current so it was pretty brainless.

That's the Bahamas.

Not exactly. In most places in the Bahamas getting food is not a big deal.
Especially in the Abacos.

It just that the costs for most things are higher and some people have to have particular brand of certain things. So better to stock up before coming over if that's the case.

The correct spare part can be problematic in many places. Even in your own back yard. So if your going to travel somewhere where you have a limited time to enjoy yourself, even if it's just to another state, way risk loosing time hunting down a part you could easily have carried along.

Greetings,
Regarding post #36: "troll some squid while crossing..." BAD, BAD advice! Until you land and report in at a Bahamian Customs station AND purchase a fishing permit, any fish you catch in Bahamian waters will be illegal. You could be severely fined for possession of illegal fish. There is NO proof you caught said fish outside Bahamian waters. They are in your possession and you do not have a permit.

I've been following your blog. Thanks!

Greetings,
Regarding post #36: "troll some squid while crossing..." BAD, BAD advice! Until you land and report in at a Bahamian Customs station AND purchase a fishing permit, any fish you catch in Bahamian waters will be illegal. You could be severely fined for possession of illegal fish. There is NO proof you caught said fish outside Bahamian waters. They are in your possession and you do not have a permit.

8 - 10 hour crossing from miami to bimini. That is plenty of time to eat a dolphin. Nothing better than a fresh dolphin slab between two pieces of bread.

Greetings,
Mr. wb. That "...big old monster..." (post #36) could weigh upwards of 30+lbs. I suspect Mr. 01 will have enough on his plate without adding catching, cleaning, cooking and eating 20 lbs of fresh fish on the way over.
Plenty of fish and plenty of time to fish once he's settled in and actually relaxing. Now, about that cold libation...

Ah, one other thing Mr. 01. IF you have firearms, read up on the regulations.

... AND purchase a fishing permit,...

Just a clarification. A fishing permit is included, for free, when you get your temporary cruising permit, if you ask for it. I guess you are purchasing it when you pay for your cruising permit but there are no additional fees. :)

Greetings,
Mr. LM. You are absolutely correct regarding the fishing license. It IS included in your entry fee if you ask for it. Sorry, poor choice of words.

Me Fly

I found out last year that the firearms regulations had changed. Cleared at Chub and listed the firearms we carried. New regulations only allow three so we had to leave one at the Chub customs office which meant we had to travel back to Chub to leave. We did remove the barrel and mag from the pistol so it could not be used. CYA

That's the Bahamas.

There are some incredible restaurants in the Bahamas. All depends on where you go. Also some areas that have good produce, just at higher prices.

... All depends on where you go. Also some areas that have good produce, just at higher prices.

This was from Bullocks Harbour in the Berry's. The "mail" boat comes in ~ 3 out of 4 weeks. Quality is usually pretty good. What they have can hit or miss though.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    IMG_0001 (1).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 157
Greetings,
Mr. wb. That "...big old monster..." (post #36) could weigh upwards of 30+lbs. I suspect Mr. 01 will have enough on his plate without adding catching, cleaning, cooking and eating 20 lbs of fresh fish on the way over.
Plenty of fish and plenty of time to fish once he's settled in and actually relaxing. Now, about that cold libation...

Ah, one other thing Mr. 01. IF you have firearms, read up on the regulations.

You dont have to eat it all either. None will go to waste sending the rest to the water.

You dont have to eat it all either. None will go to waste sending the rest to the water.

Seriously? You would only take a small portion of a fish and waste the rest to keep from getting "caught"?

That is the antithesis of being a sportsman.

Scott

My thoughts exactly.

Seriously? You would only take a small portion of a fish and waste the rest to keep from getting "caught"?

That is the antithesis of being a sportsman.

The getting caught part is over blown (off topic must be slow lately for RT).

We have caught lots of top water fish going over and had them in the coolers when we checked in at bimini and the only question asked was "get them on the way over?"

Show up with a flag yellow tail or a queen and you'll have some explaining to do.

Greetings,
IF one catches a fish in Bahamian waters without a license to do so they are breaking the law. I would expect that Mr. 01 is a law abiding person and I would strongly suggest he not take your advice to break the law simply because he will probably get away with it. That sir is a reprehensible attitude.

The getting caught part is over blown (off topic must be slow lately for RT).

We have caught lots of top water fish going over and had them in the coolers when we checked in at bimini and the only question asked was "get them on the way over?"

Show up with a flag yellow tail or a queen and you'll have some explaining to do.

Busted by me.....that's all I need to know....:socool:

Greetings,
IF one catches a fish in Bahamian waters without a license to do so they are breaking the law. I would expect that Mr. 01 is a law abiding person and I would strongly suggest he not take your advice to break the law simply because he will probably get away with it. That sir is a reprehensible attitude.

Do you try to be this way?

No one said to fish in bahamian waters.

But you proposed wasting a big part of a fish just to have one meal...post 52.....bad juju.....

Back
Top Bottom