Isolation Transformer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
Trying to decide on a isolation transformer. The three in running are MV, Vitron, and Charles. I have a lot of MV products on board now so I'm leaning that way even though the price is twice as high. But where I'm having trouble is the wiring connections. The MV 7000 wiring diagram show a 220v primary with one each L1, N, PE; same with secondary. If I have a 50A, 120/240 (two hots, N, & PE) shore connection how do I get a 4 wire in and out from a 3 wire in and out system. Hope I'm explaining this OK.

Thanks

Last edited:
The input to the isol trans does not need the neutral. Just the two hots, 240v across the terminals. Output should have two hots and a center tap neutral.

This is my biggest complain with both Victron and Mastervolt. They have completely blown off support for North American split phase power. Everything is euro-power designed. Now I agree that our split phase power is pretty funky, and that the euro-power approach is probably preferable, but NA is the way it is and it ain't going to change, and it represents what must be at least 1/2 the market for such products, if not more.

Both companies offer single phase 120V products, and single phase 230V products, but neither of them offers stackable 120/240V inverters, let along a single split phase inverter a-la Magnum. And their isolation transformers don't have a neutral on the secondary.

Go with Charles.

Be aware that Charles has publicly stated that they are leaving the marine Business.

Be aware that Charles has publicly stated that they are leaving the marine Business.
Only certain parts. I believe the isolation transformer market was staying, but I could be wrong.

You can buy industrial isolation transformers, they do not have to be "marine." Mine is not marine. Google them and save a bunch of money. The one I replaced was a GE.

Only certain parts. I believe the isolation transformer market was staying, but I could be wrong.

That's what I read, that Charles was keeping the isolation transformer part of the business.

You can buy industrial isolation transformers, they do not have to be "marine." Mine is not marine. Google them and save a bunch of money. The one I replaced was a GE.
:thumb:X2, a transformer is a transformer. Very simple, no moving parts, why pay marine prices.

":thumb:X2, a transformer is a transformer. Very simple, no moving parts, why pay marine prices."

That was true for decades , decades ago, but todays electronics ," transformers" & chargers may take the incoming power , break it down then reassemble what ever is desired.

This is fantastic for the world cruiser who may get almost anything dockside.

Even for the local cruiser the ability to receive the voltage required is great.

A modern unit will weigh very little compared to the bundles of wire and iron old style transformer.

Some modern battery chargers have this ability , so a boat set for mostly DC (with AC from an on board inverter) can survive unusual electric in strange places.

My Charles Isolation Transformer with power boost does all sorts of things, including accepting European 240 v power and converting it to North American 240 v power. It does not however change the 50 hertz European to 60 hertz North American.

What is interesting is the boost factor. I have been in marinas where the power at the end of the line was only 100 volts and the boost brought it up to 110 volts.

Thanks Twisted,
That pretty much explains it.

You can certainly do this, but there is a difference between an industrial transformer and one intended for marine use like the Charles. The marine transformer has two separate and isolated grounds. The shore-side ground ties to an internal shield inside the transformer, and the boat-side ground it the more typical case ground. There is some incremental protection with this approach. How much and is it worth it to you? Only you can decide.

Just got off the phone with Charles Ind.. I asked about the 7.5 Kva specs showing the primary as 240v. My main concern was if was set like the European models. He said no; the primary was a standard 240v with the secondary a 240/120v and it will work fine with standard USA shore power.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom