Navy Guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain gets hit by fishing boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good thing it wasnt a north Korean fishing vessel!
We'd be involved in a nuclear war right now...
Gotta wonder why the skipper didn't take evasive or offensive action, as he obviously knew there was an imminent collision?
Has Trumps arrogance bled over into the Navy?

X200

I think you might be mistaking fishermen for boaters.

A "fishing vessel" is just a box that has fishermen and fish inside of it. It has nothing to do with boating or seamanship. It is essentially a large piece of flotsam that is capable of making erratic movements. It would probably be a good idea to put a NUC day flag (2 black balls) on every fishing vessel.

Even worse in the China Sea, Yellow Sea and Sea of Japan. It's like Brownian motion.

That's funny I've been out here in the South China Sea for the last month or so and have seen no problems, as a matter of fact haven't seen the Chinese once.

Oh PLEASE!!! Do we really have to inject politics into EVERYTHING!?! :nonono:

It wasn't a political statement....I wasn't praising or condemning any ideology or viewpoint. I just know there are rules about how close to to a Navy ship you can get, and there have been news reports recently of them firing on vessels that come too close. There was talk that their rules of engangement would change after the USS Cole and I wonder if they have or not if something like this happens.

It wasn't a political statement....I wasn't praising or condemning any ideology or viewpoint. I just know there are rules about how close to to a Navy ship you can get, and there have been news reports recently of them firing on vessels that come too close. There was talk that their rules of engangement would change after the USS Cole and I wonder if they have or not if something like this happens.

I think they were reacting to the post just before yours.

My thoughts were the same as yours. I know I wouldn't expect to be able to aim my boat at a naval vessel, not respond to hails, and hit them without being at risk of being fired upon.

That's funny I've been out here in the South China Sea for the last month or so and have seen no problems, as a matter of fact haven't seen the Chinese once.
They must congregate around haze grey ships, then. When I was there on a skimmer, it looked like a highway. When I was there on a sub, well, we didn't care.

It wasn't a political statement...
Maybe I should have been more clear, but I was not referring to your comment. My apologies if you took offense.

On the other hand, if the person who tried to turn this thread into a political screed took offense... GOOD!

(Even though I am going to guess that my political thoughts are pretty well in line with theirs, this is NOT THE PLACE FOR IT!)

So.. the cruiser cannot move out the fishing boat path??
I mean... it's a forbidden action avoid collision at sea even if is a military ship?
Seems to me collision can be avoided but nobody (the fishing captain boat or the cruiser want to avoid it)
..was a collision of egos...

The implication is that the cruiser was screening the carrier. If that is true, the cruiser is going to be somewhat constrained in its ability to change course and the captain may NOT have wanted to allow the fishing vessel to close on the carrier.

The investigation report will be interesting.

Later,
Dan

Greetings,
Mr. dc. That's exactly what I was thinking. Bumpy way to make a point but no lives were lost and other than the right of way issues, no potential international incident was generated.

I was in the USN and some Asian maritime cultures believe devils attach themselves to the boat stern, causing problems and attracting more and more devils. The devils hang on the stern making long chains. The only way to dispose of the devils is to cross someone's bow as close as possible. Transferring their devils to the other boat. Entering coastal waters or some ports is a challenge not to hit a fishing boat. We did and rescued the crew. The USN always paid, no matter who was at fault. Your tax dollars at work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom