Auxiliary Prop Drive for my 1981 34' Californian Sport Fisher/Trawler single engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edward14

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dreadnought
Vessel Make
1981 34' Californian Sport Fisher/Trawler
Hello all I just bought a 1981 34' Californian Sport Fisher/Trawler this model is a single screw vessel with a Caterpillar 3208 NA 210hp I want to put in a get home system what would be my best option? I would really like a Auxiliary Prop Drive but I don't know if they make one that could be powered from a 7/9 kw generator from what I have read they all need at least a 12kw generator but that is way over kill for this boat any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

With all due respect Edward, putting an auxilliary drive of any kind in that boat and for the cruising that it is designed for would be way overkill. Keep your TowBoatUS or Seatow membership active.

You live in Orange County and having lived there for ten years I know that the tow services are there to watch your back. Unless you are going to cruise to Baja, fuggitaboutit.

David

Okay thanks that's what I thought I just always like a back up but did not want twins this boat is pretty hard to find in a single. Maybe a wing engine? As you can probably tell I am new to the boating world but pretty handy with engines got a lot to learn thanks for the response.

TowBoat US unlimited is $149 a year..... you won't be going that far out to need the other expense

I agree with the advice regarding towing insurance; however, I have been seriously contemplating adding a bracket for an auxiliary outboard (6 HP would suffice for my size boat). I mainly cruise the ICW but a small outboard would allow me to get to a safe location while waiting for a tow. I really don't want to lose power and drift into a sea wall, dock, or run aground outside a channel. I almost lost power once in a narrow channel (engine overheated due to a blocked strainer) and it was not fun!

Last edited:
Edward

The neatest auxiliary drive set up I have seen is a center line swim platform mounted out board as seen on some Ranger Tugs. You would have to modify your platform to accept the OB, but they really seem simple and efficient on those I have seen.

Also this permits a trolling setup if you are a fisherman. Trolling motor adaptor setups are pretty common in the PNW. This OB approach is to my mind much superior to shoe horning in an internal setup on your vessel and would avoid a hull penetration.

All said though, keep your single in tip top shape and you'll do just fine. Boat diesel is a wonderful source of information for trouble spots (there are several as the engine ages) on your very simple 3208 NA engine. Many happy maintenance oriented and never towed single owners are out there.

Ok great advice thanks it would work great for slow trolling do you know of a good Diesel out board that would be suitable for this boat I know a lot of the good ones are not allowed in the US due to environmental laws .

Those are my thoughts exactly I never want to be dead in the water also would be nice for trolling.

Welcome Edward! What part of Orange County are you in? I lived there for many years. Just outside of Orlando. But now I live in the Bay area. Or are you in Orange County, North Carolina?

(Yeah. You'll find an "Orange County" in eight different states. :))

Oh I didn't know that I am from OC California Huntington Beach

Those are my thoughts exactly I never want to be dead in the water also would be nice for trolling.

A high thrust outboard would be nice. Outside an old British Seagull, the lowest HP ratings for a "true" high thrust outboard (different gear reduction) seems to be 9.9 HP. I don't know the displacement of your vessel, but a high thrust 9.9HP may be enough for slow trolling in calm conditions.

Last edited:
I put 4000 hours on a 3208 N and only had one problem. The tack welds on the raw water pump failed causing the two halves of the pully to separate. The welds were very poorly done.

I don't think we could possibly advise you sufficiently without extensive photos of said boat and engine. The more pics, the better.

Until today, I only knew of the 30 Californian LRC as having a single engine.

I created a photo album on my profile titled my boat there is some good pictures on there if you got time to take a peek.

Thanks,

Dose any company make a Auxiliary Prop Drive that van be operated from a 7/9 kw generator?

Great pics, Edward! First time I've seen a single engine Californian LRC!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/members/15631-albums611.html

What's your speed at cruise and WOT? It looks like Marshall didn't even attempt to provide prop protection on the singles. One advantage to your single layout is ease of engine access on your 3208. Can you imagine two of those V8s wedged in that ER plus a genset? It must be tight!

Years ago when I had the opportunity to discuss the 34 LRC with Jule's son, Gil, he commented that he thought the best engine combo to him was the twin 3208NAs for their reliability, speed and low power efficiency. I believe he said it would top oput around 22 Kts with twin 3208s.

I've seen 23 Kts on CHC's 34 LRC with twin DD250s! That was quite the ride compared to my 'lil Perkins 85s that push me along at 7.5 Kt cruise/10 Kt WOT.

Sorry for the thread drift...

it will cruise at 10 knots and max at 12 knots i wanted a good fuel economy vessel for long range fishing trips i want to put in larger fuel tanks as well, i have been looking for this boat for a long time i have seen them with twin 3208's and you are right vey cramped this is there sport fisher they only made a few the inside is a completely different lay out as well i will add inside photos to my photo album. I am new to the boating world this is my first boat i have been around boat all my life but i got a lot to learn but i never want to be dead in the water i am trying to figure out the best back up for this boat i would love to put an Auxiliary Prop Drive but everything i has researched requires at least a 12kw generator that would be heaver then the engine and way over kill do you know of a system that would run of a 7kw I'm only looking for 3 knots.

In 1973 whenI was looking for an engine Cat was offering the 3160,
I think it is almost the same as the 3208 ? . They said the engine was
designed to be serviced from the top. Could help?

Ted

Back
Top Bottom