South Sound Bound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Spent the night on the boat in LaConner and caught the ebb transiting the south Swinomish Channel.

Perfect day but the afternoon wind gave me trouble making a landing. Lots of back and fill and I didn't hit anything but had to run out of the tight spot that was kind of a hole w boats and floats. Gave up on the stbd tie, went out and came straight in for a textbook landing w propwalk bass akwards. Almost made up for my B & F foolish maneuvers in the wind.

We avouded Everett this way and had a wonderful bite at South Whidbey Commons. Coconut Curry w red pepper soup .. and icecream.

Lots of seagulls and it looks like they have assigned moorage spots. See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 135
Eric, South Sound is on my bucket list. Please post lots of pics and commentary on where you stay, where to eat, etc.

We stayed at Langly, Paulsbo, Filucy Bay and now we're in Olympia. Paulsbo and Filucy Bay were anchoring out. Langley and now Olympia transient moorage. Olympia is only $24 per night w power! May spend two nights. House batts seem to be performing OK. Anchor is flawless. Most of my pics are on my camera so won't post till we get home. Here's two that I took at Langley.
Lots of homeless ect here. Considerable dammage from May day demonstrations or perhaps they were riots.
Looks like the Seagulls may be paying moorage fot the piling-tops.

HATE THIS NEW FORMAT. l'll be outta-here if this is permanant. The print is way too small for old folks like me. What's the advantage? I mean to the users?

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Not sure to what you refer Eric. Standard size 2 font is what I am reading your post in.

Did you change devices for the trip maybe?

Edit: Wish I was there with you.

Dave,
Right in the middle of the north arm just opposite of the little marina. Nice spot .. very nice. Water's kinda dirty though. And the light show at 3am didn't match Poulsbo in the moonlight. The whole South Sound is rather dead as there are very few boats about. From Filucy Bay to Olympia we only saw about 5 other boats underway.

Crag,
Can't navagate very well and the characters are very SMALL. Less than 1/16" I'd say. Why? Was much better before. Did'nt change devices. On my new extra large i-pad.
You here? That would be great. We'd generate enough power talking boats to get home on talk power. Nice thought Craig.
I think we're about ready to start home. Tides are not in our favor now.

Filucy is nice but we haven't gone there a lot. If you want a nice stop on the way home, consider McMicken Island Marine park.

Dave,
Right in the middle of the north arm just opposite of the little marina. Nice spot .. very nice. Water's kinda dirty though. And the light show at 3am didn't match Poulsbo in the moonlight. The whole South Sound is rather dead as there are very few boats about. From Filucy Bay to Olympia we only saw about 5 other boats underway.

Crag,
Can't navagate very well and the characters are very SMALL. Less than 1/16" I'd say. Why? Was much better before. Did'nt change devices. On my new extra large i-pad.
You here? That would be great. We'd generate enough power talking boats to get home on talk power. Nice thought Craig.
I think we're about ready to start home. Tides are not in our favor now.

Eric

On my 5 year old IPad the font size is whatever I want by merely doing the finger squeeze. Why would your IPad be different? Also on Windows non touch I can adjust TF font size as well. Is it picture font size that is locked for you? Visit San Juan or Gulf Is. No riots there yet.

Eric

On my 5 year old IPad the font size is whatever I want by merely doing the finger squeeze. Why would your IPad be different? Also on Windows non touch I can adjust TF font size as well. Is it picture font size that is locked for you? Visit San Juan or Gulf Is. No riots there yet.

Of course Tom is right, he's seldom anything but. I am embarrassed to say how much time I spent looking at this problem before reading this and thinking, duh.

Sometimes you really can't see the forest for the trees. :)

I can only guess at what "finger squeeze" is but I'll assume it means pulling finger tips together while touching the screen or spreading them out. Well of course it increases the size of the text greatly but I'd need to be sliding the sentence back and forth as many times as there are lines X2 or 3. Not acceptable. The only reasonable way is to have the line length the same as the width of the screen ....... go figure ..like it was a few days ago. Very often new things are inferior to what has come before. Not refering to chariots of course.

Tom,
of course but then (as above) the lines become 2 or three times as long. We need a finger squeze (or draw) that automatically adjusted the size of letters and the length of sentences siamotainously to keep them in propper portion to each other. I'm tempted to say any fool can see that but I'd need quote marks to do that.

I'm in a bad mood today. (Can you tell). The batts are down as the transient float breaker tripped in the night. The heater has been off for hours and wife not happy. There's an (unfixable in this weather) leak right (it's raining) above the helmsman's (me) seat/position and rain is the weather of the week now. Perhaps I'll need to wear my hooded raincoat all the way home. Speaking of home it sounds good right now but the day has just begun. At Starbucks now cooling my jets but we better get back to the boat, go over to the pumpout and get things done there. If I flush the head We may wind up w our ofal on deck. Tank is so dirty I can't see how full/empty it is. That happened before and is another unacceptable. Oh well what would we learn if we didn't have problems?

I got the lift I need a minute ago. Just saw it says "for sale" at the begining of the adds! Hooray ........ thank you Janet and whomever else may have brought that about.

Last edited:
Try changing the font size. On the drop down tab select: "settings" > "font size" > "large".

Hi Eric,

Hope you can read this!

Just a slight clarification of Northern's good advice:

Settings > Display and brightness > Text size.

You should see a slider that adjusts text size, try that.

It could be that dynamic type adjustment is not supported here. If no joy from the above, try the "diagonal finger squeeze/stretch," that seems to work for my tired eyes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't have my iPad with me, and was going by (faulty) memory while typing this on an Android.

Last edited:
Eric, the rain that you had down South has just now hit us. The rain this year has been truly epic. I miss our normal gentle mist.

Thanks all I'll figure it out.
Usually do but often it's a pita. I think I've seen "front size" but assumed it didn't increase the # of sentences.
We're homeward bound now. Maby tomorrow. Gotta see my PA about pain in arm. I thought it was just stressed but I must have damaged something as it's not getting better.
Very unstable weather lately. First several days like summer but it's almost like winter now. Should be stern seas tomorrow .. like today.

Edit:
Just slid the slider on text size but all seems the same. Nearly new max size i-pad.
It says "apps that support dynamic text size .....".

Last edited:
We've been homeward bound last coupla days.
Here are some pics I shot on the trip.

1. I beive this to be a 32' Bristol Bay Boat. This is the original configuration as
far as I can see. Fishermen used to spend a week at a time in these boats.
2. Willy at Langley on Whidby Is.
3. A Great Blue Heron amongst the pilings in the little marina at Langley.
4. Sunrise at Langley.
5. Some of the waterfront at Langley.
6. Our favorite restaurant in Langley.
7. Mt. Rainier .. comming out.
8. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge. I can see the little cars on my 27" i-Mac. We
made 10 knots under the bridge on the flood tide.
9. Looking west to the Olympic Mountains.
10. This appears to be one of the early Robert Beebe passagemakers. Luckily my
camera takes good telephoto pics. I think all of this type were 50'.

Attachments

• DSCF2442.jpg
    DSCF2442.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF2402.jpg
    DSCF2402.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF2411.jpg
    DSCF2411.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF2412.jpg
    DSCF2412.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF2414.jpg
    DSCF2414.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF2415.jpg
    DSCF2415.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF2422.jpg
    DSCF2422.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF2425.jpg
    DSCF2425.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF2427.jpg
    DSCF2427.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF2430.jpg
    DSCF2430.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Rain? I don't see no stinkin' rain. All I see is sunshine and a few light clouds. Looks more like Eastern WA than the West side. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

11. Here is the Beebe boat w/o the telephoto. I was thrilled to see this very
special boat.
12. To the east in the vicinity of Edmonds the weather seemed overly dramatic.
13 As they predicted .. "2' seas or less". Our comfortable course options were a
bit limited in these lumpy seas. Bigger waves further apart would have been
less work at times.
14. For those that appreciate sailboats a suppress was this large and very nice
looking motorsailer.
15. I'll let sailers do the commenting on this boat. Is she a ketch or a schooner?

Attachments

• DSCF2433.jpg
    DSCF2433.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF2437.jpg
    DSCF2437.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF2438.jpg
    DSCF2438.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF2441.jpg
    DSCF2441.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF2445.jpg
    DSCF2445.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 78
Rain? I don't see no stinkin' rain. All I see is sunshine and a few light clouds. Looks more like Eastern WA than the West side. Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Mike you must have missed all the trees and boats (even ships) and ferries that I never see in the desert part of our state. That means you were concentrating on the more important elements of my pics. ....... good.

Eric, you're absolutely correct, we don't see many of those things you listed except trees. We do have lots of trees though they're different from the beautiful evergreens you enjoy over there.

You're correct again about concentrating on the photos. I definitely am guilty of that!

P.S. I really like the lines on those last two sailboats. As a blow boater from my misspent youth, I still enjoy the looks of a beautiful sailboat.

Mike,
Sorry there isn't more detail in the motorsailer as I suspect there are many interesting features on that boat.
I can see a reel anchor winch on the foredeck and I like the raisable swimstep aft.
What do you think .... steel?

The last pic looks like a gaff rigged yawl. If the aft mast is forward of the rudder post (which it doesn't look like) then it would be a ketch.

The last pic looks like a gaff rigged yawl. If the aft mast is forward of the rudder post (which it doesn't look like) then it would be a ketch.

So it's a gaf headed yawl.
As we were comming up on them they were pulling up the main.Took them a long time. From several miles back to when I took the pic. There was a much better looking ketch a bit smaller but w dark colored sails (green I think) but we didn't pass as close and this old pirate ship like boat looked more interesting. Could'a been the opposite. I thought there'd be more interest in the big white motorsailer.

The sailboat in the last picture, Joshua, is a somewhat famous boat in Puget Sound and Canada. The owner will often announce his arrival by beating on drums.

Mike,
Sorry there isn't more detail in the motorsailer as I suspect there are many interesting features on that boat.
I can see a reel anchor winch on the foredeck and I like the raisable swimstep aft.
What do you think .... steel?
I copied the photo and pasted into MS Paint and enlarged it several times. I do think it is steel, or maybe aluminum that has been corroded some by the salt water.

Whatever it's made of, that is one gorgeous boat. The one in the bottom photo also. I'd love a cruise on either.

I wrote this a few days ago:
HATE THIS NEW FORMAT. l'll be outta-here if this is permanant. The print is way too small for old folks like me. What's the advantage? I mean to the users?[/QUOTE]

The format I saw and experienced was just due to a weak signal .. I've decided. Couldn't figure out why TF would do it. They didn't. There was a yellow light on my router and it needs to be shut down for 10 minutes or so to recycle or whatever it needs. Been doing this for years and forgot all about it. I learned something though thanks to stubones99, Craig and perhaps another. Thanks for putting up w my mini rant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom