Fender Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We need ideas on how to cover our fenders. They are looking pretty bad. Thanks for your suggestions!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. The Admiral bought some covers last season made from a terry cloth material. They lasted one year in the FL sun. In the past we've had marginally better performance from custom made oness of Sunbrella material. Have you made any attempt to clean them? I would also hesitatingly suggest painting them with a plastic paint BUT I do not know if that could cause bigger problems...

Ours are looking rough too. They are black and they feel chalky. Hubby said PO said they had painted before.
We were talking about covers...not sure if the expense is worth it or not.

You can clean bumpers with acetone. Use lots of rags. Gets rid of the dirt, but doesn't do anything for the dings and scratches.

Wife made ours going on four years now. Video on Sailrite.com

Gojo hand cleaner works great on cleaning them. make sure to get the stuff with pumus, not the soft creamy stuff. use a soft bristle brush and rinse

now, does anyone have an idea on repairing a small crack in a fender? I tried some fix a flat but it isn't holding

now, does anyone have an idea on repairing a small crack in a fender? I tried some fix a flat but it isn't holding

That is probably asking a lot. Once the fender won't hold air, time to toss and replace.

Some fenders have a lifetime guarantee. Worth checking on.

Google up "Making boat fender covers"...Sailrite has a video, and sells a material that is heavy duty, soft, non-absorbent, UV rated. They show you how to make them too. (I have no affiliation with Sailrite - just like the product). Requires a heavy sewing machine, but if you don't have one maybe an upholstery shop would do the fab work? I bet you could do 75% of the prep yourself.

Sikaflex or similar might work, but is it worth it?
BTW, Riviera sell branded fender covers for $80 each. Bargain!:rolleyes:

I've seen some folks buy a pair of sweats...makes 2 cyliner covers and one for a ball fender if you get them big enough.

I just finished making six of the sailrite video fender covers. They look good and should be plenty tough--find out this summer!! Material is boat blanket and hook velcro- about $70, and 30 minutes labor each if you have some sewing skills;)

Haven't seen the need for covers. Feeling fortunate!

Last edited:
We bought six fender covers from Cape Hatteras Marine six years ago and they still look like new. PS we boat 12 months a year here in southern California.

Google up "Making boat fender covers"...Sailrite has a video, and sells a material that is heavy duty, soft, non-absorbent, UV rated. They show you how to make them too. (I have no affiliation with Sailrite - just like the product). Requires a heavy sewing machine, but if you don't have one maybe an upholstery shop would do the fab work? I bet you could do 75% of the prep yourself.

Got a machine from them. Admiral made covers plus a whole bunch of other things. The material is called Boat Blanket from Sailrite and holds up well.

mike

I've always wondered about the reasoning for fender covers. Is is just to make the fender look better? Kind of like those crocheted toilet seat covers?

I just wash mine, and throw them away when they get dimpled from UV. I seem to find one every few months floating in the marina or at sea, so I never have to buy replacements.

We have white and black fender assortment... six altogether. Purchased dark blue fabric fender covers from West Marine in 2008 to cover all of em. Not one rip yet. Still servicing well and looking pretty good. Sure makes for comfortable handling as well as way less fender smudges in hull sides.

Word of caution... Do Not Pressure Wash!! - - > makes fabric threads break in two and dangle.

While still on a fender... washing by drenching the cover with Simpple Green and rinsing with strong hose pressure works well

Last edited:
Sweats? Now I know what to do with those yoga pants my wife got me for Christmas last year. ��

Last edited:
Because the original fenders we got with the boat looked rather grubby, and were hard to clean, but otherwise ok, we bough fender covers. Well, in our sun they don't last long, and a pair costs as much as one fender, and after going through about 3 sets of six, I decided it was cheaper to just buy new fenders every now and again.

We need ideas on how to cover our fenders. They are looking pretty bad. Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi Trawlergal1990,
Welcome to Trawlerforum.

Following your question about fender cover, here are the ones I currently use on my boat, Grand Banks 42' MY :

1) Universal roll fender cover, polyamide made, elastic (Sunbrella is not elastic), in a 5 meter (15') length, Navy blue, easy to cut to the desired length with scissor, 12 plastic straps. For fenders with diameter range from 10 to 25 cm.
https://www.imnasa.com/en/universal-cover-fender-5m-navy-blue.html

2) Universal roll fender cover, polyester made, elastic, in a 5 metre (15') length. Designed for self cutting. High-quality automotive polyester.
Fender Sock 'Roll Neck' 5M Navy

One roll of #1 & or #2 = 6 fenders on my boat.

#2 is my favorite, best quality, polyester is lighter and more robust (a lot more) than polyamide. Unlike polyamide cover, polyester has no "sponge effect" when raining or washing out the boat.

The main reason for fender covers is not only "to make the fender look better" even if fender is hard to clean as Peter rightly pointed out. Main reason, only in my opinion, is that fender becomes less or more dirty quite fast then results in soiling the hull by contact.

Yes, "I can provide evidence to support it however" (photos attached).

I hope that would help you.

Respectfully,

Attachments

• Fender.jpg
    Fender.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Fender 2.jpg
    Fender 2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
GoJo hand cleaner and a scotchbrite pad.
First mate makes covers out of cheap terrycloth towels. White so they don't fade.

We have white and black fender assortment... six altogether. Purchased dark blue fabric fender covers from West Marine in 2008 to cover all of em. Not one rip yet. Still servicing well and looking pretty good. Sure makes for comfortable handling as well as way less fender smudges in hull sides.

Word of caution... Do Not Pressure Wash!! - - > makes fabric threads break in two and dangle.

While still on a fender... washing by drenching the cover with Simpple Green and rinsing with strong hose pressure works well
Wonderful idea.. Thank you!!

Because the original fenders we got with the boat looked rather grubby, and were hard to clean, but otherwise ok, we bough fender covers. Well, in our sun they don't last long, and a pair costs as much as one fender, and after going through about 3 sets of six, I decided it was cheaper to just buy new fenders every now and again.
That works too!

Back
Top Bottom