Oberdorfer Pump Model 403M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
It looks like this pump has been discontinued. It's the clamp on style . Does anybody know of a replacement pump of another brand that will work .Engine is Perkins 6.354 NA

Thanks

Obendorfer is good equipment , should be EZ to rebuild .

Replaced o ring on strainer and on pump face . So far so good .Still getting some air bubbles in strainer .

Last edited:
."Still getting some air bubbles in strainer ."

Use your finger and shmeer heavy grease on each place the air could come from.

With patience you will find the leak.

Just on the suction side or on every connection ? What will the heavy grease do to show me the leak ?

Just on the suction side or on every connection ? What will the heavy grease do to show me the leak ?

Hi Marty, I had never heard of the grease trick until FF suggested it. It kind of makes sense. Start greasing the connections at the seacock and work your way to the strainer. When the bubbles stop you will have found the problem. The grease isn't meant as a fix, just a diagnostic tool.

Hi Marty, I had never heard of the grease trick until FF suggested it. It kind of makes sense. Start greasing the connections at the seacock and work your way to the strainer. When the bubbles stop you will have found the problem. The grease isn't meant as a fix, just a diagnostic tool.
Ok that's only a couple places it could be . Thanks FF and HopCar .

This worked quick .Thanks

"This worked quick .Thanks"

Where was the air leak , how did you fix it?

Looks like it's at the top of the strainer . I replaced the o ring a couple days ago but it still wasn't sealing good enough . I had to put some mojo on the cap with a hammer to get it to seal . I may not have the right seal there . Either that or the surface needs to be remachined or might need all new bronze strainer , but for now it's working. Thanks for the grease tip .

Last edited:
Next time lightly grease the O ring itself. Maybe the sealing area of the strainer has a ding that needs to be attended to or maybe need a thicker O ring.

A good bronze strainer should last a LONG time but they were not finely machined so some times a bit if fiddling may be needed like on my old Perko. Once closed though it's closed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom