View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have an old Raritan charger-converter. When the engine ignition is turned on, a sense wire from the old charger turns off the charger output. So when engine is running, charger output is off and engine alternator charges the battery. Raritan charger has 2 sense wires so monitors 2 engines ignition power. But I think if one engine is running it turns itself off to all 3 of its DC charging banks.

If the battery volts drops too low on a start, DC output come on to give starting boost.
It is just an electronic transistor circuit switch in the charger that turns on or off at a preset voltage bias.

Charger circuit designers must have decided such a circuit is not needed as all the other posters don't mention one in their chargers.

A charger -converter concept is no battery power is used when charger-converter is plugged into AC power. All it does is charge the batteries and powers house loads. Of course if I turn on the Inverter and run a big load, the charger-converter wont keep up the volts on its own, so battery power is used.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote