Bayliner 4788 - any of you singlehandling it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acheron2010

Vessel Name
Saoirse
Vessel Make
1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
I'm looking for a liveaboard - those of you who operate the 4788 or it's cousins - is it a one-person capable boat, or a little too much to handle?

Blue might chime in-he has one that he and the Admiral crew. It probably can be single handed but would be a handful. Blue has his for sale in Seabrook, Tx.

I'm looking for a liveaboard - those of you who operate the 4788 or it's cousins - is it a one-person capable boat, or a little too much to handle?

Yes, and no. Depends on who the one person is and the conditions and whether it's always one person or just occasionally. An experienced operator can handle one by themselves, especially with thrusters. An inexperienced operator may be over their head on any boat until they get training and practice. Then, if single handing, one might choose to be more selective as to conditions.

Yes, one person can dock a 4788 themselves...

In favorable conditions.

If you are being blown into the dock, it's a easy boat to dock single handed, I do it all the time.

There is a cleat just aft of the pilothouse door, making things easy.

If you are being blown away from the dock, you can still often times do it with one person but it's tougher. It's allot of boat and can get away from you in a hurry in a wind or current.

The other part of the equation " is there a person on the dock to assist"

I have a new appreciation for my small boat. I can easily catch my shrimp pots at the stern after nosing up onto them on the starboard side, easily step out the pilot house door to catch a cleat at the dock, easily step out the pilot house door to raise or drop my anchor, and see my fishing rods from my helm while trolling.

I had never thought about how hard it would be to have to run from a helm station to catch my pot buoys or not being able to see my fishing rods from the helm. I am six steps from the helm to the cockpit or anchor, and two steps from the helm to the dock to tie off. I can see my bow pulpit and my cockpit by turning my head.

I think "handling" your boat single handing is more an issue what activities you plan than if you can dock it by yourself. Some activities limit themselves by needing to have both an operator and a person performing a function to complete the task. I think that is especially true on larger boats.

Even in my small boat, sometimes I stay out until the weather is better to avoid getting in over my head. Leaving the dock has always been easy, but sometimes getting back to it not so much...

As Kevin says, it can be lot of boat. Michelle often naps in the pilot house and I will lock through or dock without waking her up.....but she is right there if things start to go wrong. Oh, and I have a stern thruster which helps (and normally wakes her up anyway :))

I have a new appreciation for my small boat. I can easily catch my shrimp pots at the stern after nosing up onto them on the starboard side, easily step out the pilot house door to catch a cleat at the dock, easily step out the pilot house door to raise or drop my anchor, and see my fishing rods from my helm while trolling.

I had never thought about how hard it would be to have to run from a helm station to catch my pot buoys or not being able to see my fishing rods from the helm. I am six steps from the helm to the cockpit or anchor, and two steps from the helm to the dock to tie off. I can see my bow pulpit and my cockpit by turning my head.

I think "handling" your boat single handing is more an issue what activities you plan than if you can dock it by yourself. Some activities limit themselves by needing to have both an operator and a person performing a function to complete the task. I think that is especially true on larger boats.

Even in my small boat, sometimes I stay out until the weather is better to avoid getting in over my head. Leaving the dock has always been easy, but sometimes getting back to it not so much...

I will say that If I were to be in a situation where I was single handing all the time I would want a boat more "singlehand friendly" which really means a boat that is a bit smaller, making things closer together.

You have an optimum situation where you can reach your fishing rods or your shrimp pots in a few steps.

"You have an optimum situation where you can reach your fishing rods or your shrimp pots in a few steps."

I have seen more than a couple if 45/47 Bayliners with a third helm station in the cockpit. For us who do not really fish or crab we have done fine by docking from the Pilothouse with both lines led back to the cockpit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom