where to store varnish brush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
I bought my first can of Epifanes and a badger brush today. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions where to store the brush in between coats. Ideally, I would like to just leave the brush in a container of thinner, but I suspect it would eventually spill when some sportfisher blasts by.

Greetings,
Mr. sbg. I would suggest cleaning in solvents and then store in the freezer in a zip-lock bag

Your best option is to completely clean the brush thoroughly. I sometimes keep a few brushes going. The one I'm working with and the one that is cleaned and drying, and a dry brush.

I also recommend cleaning the brush each time you're finished using it. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid that I cut a 5" hole in the center. I use mineral spirits and the paint pot I was working out of to clean the brush. Then I spin the brush out INSIDE the 5 gallon bucket using a paint brush spinner. Because of the lid and the relatively small opening, all the mess is contained inside the bucket. Put brush away till next time. Also pour the remnants of the mineral spirits into the 5 gallon bucket for later disposal - but the mineral spirits will slowly evaporate.

Ken

Greetings,
Mr. sbg. I would suggest cleaning in solvents and then store in the freezer in a zip-lock bag
That's an interesting approach. Why would you store it in the freezer?

Greetings,
Mr. sbg. IF you're doing successive coats AND you neglect to fully clean the brush, the freeze approach keeps the paint/varnish from hardening/curing in the short term (a day or so). The brush can be used the next day without any special preparation. As mentioned, nothing really replaces a thorough cleaning when storing over a period of days or weeks.

I just wrap brush in aluminum foil and put in the refrigerator-Ready to go the next day. That's if I'm putting on multiple coats.

I'm an oil painter and badger brushes are phenomenal. Clean your brush in mineral spirits, then put some dawn dishwashing soap in the palm of one hand and with your other take the brush and rub it in a circle first one way then another, rinse a bit as you go. Do this a couple times then reshape the bristles and let it dry either I na prone or bristles down (to some degree) position.

I'm an oil painter and badger brushes are phenomenal. Clean your brush in mineral spirits, then put some dawn dishwashing soap in the palm of one hand and with your other take the brush and rub it in a circle first one way then another, rinse a bit as you go. Do this a couple times then reshape the bristles and let it dry either I na prone or bristles down (to some degree) position.

+1 :thumb: I am doing the exact same. A bit of soap after mineral spirit keep them soft and nice.

L.

+1 :thumb: I am doing the exact same. A bit of soap after mineral spirit keep them soft and nice.

L.

Cleaning brushes for me is therapeutic lol. I can do it for hours, and no, not taking consignments ;-)

I purchased a couple of (expensive) Epifanes brushes, years ago. Epifanes recommends rinsing brushes in mineral spirits, rinsing again in clean spirits, then spin them out (the handles are round for a reason). Then store the brushes with the handles vertical and the brush section suspended in the diesel. When it's time to use the brush again, simply give it a rinse in clean mineral spirits, spin it out, and it's ready to go. I stored them in a coffee can, made a galvanized cover with a hole and a support to hold the brushes. I used the storage system for almost 8 yrs. and the brushes stayed like new.

Washing the brushes dries out the bristles and makes them brittle, they lose their brushing function. The diesel method requires extra effort, but does work.

An alternative to that is foam brushes. I switched years ago, I've abandoned the diesel storage method, and now just keep a box of 3" JENN foam brushes in my varnish supplies. The results are equal to bristle brushes, and cleanup is simple. Don't try to use box store foam brushes for finish varnish, you'll be disappointed. Use JENN brushes, it makes a difference. The technique is a bit different, but the results are as good or better.

I purchased a couple of (expensive) Epifanes brushes, years ago. Epifanes recommends rinsing brushes in mineral spirits, rinsing again in clean spirits, then spin them out (the handles are round for a reason). Then store the brushes with the handles vertical and the brush section suspended in the diesel. When it's time to use the brush again, simply give it a rinse in clean mineral spirits, spin it out, and it's ready to go. I stored them in a coffee can, made a galvanized cover with a hole and a support to hold the brushes. I used the storage system for almost 8 yrs. and the brushes stayed like new.

Washing the brushes dries out the bristles and makes them brittle, they lose their brushing function. The diesel method requires extra effort, but does work.

An alternative to that is foam brushes. I switched years ago, I've abandoned the diesel storage method, and now just keep a box of 3" JENN foam brushes in my varnish supplies. The results are equal to bristle brushes, and cleanup is simple. Don't try to use box store foam brushes for finish varnish, you'll be disappointed. Use JENN brushes, it makes a difference. The technique is a bit different, but the results are as good or better.

+1 ^

I too have given up on high dollar brushes in most cases.

As the cost of brushes and solvent has gone up plus you throw in the added hassle of cleaning, storage and proper disposal of the dirty solvent it's just not worth using them to me in most cases.

And as noted above you can get an excellent finish with JENN foam brushes.

I was wondering if someone would bring up foam brushes. I wasn't going to admit it but I also store my used varnish brushes in the trash can.

I'll fourth ?? the Jenn brushes as the best.

I tried others when the Jenn disappeared from my local market but I eventually went back to Jenn ordering several hundred 1" and 2" at a time to keep ahead of my use.

The only competitor that came close for a while was Redtree. But they goofed up the foam after a couple years. Too soft and would simply fold over.

Jenn rules for foamies.

I bought my first can of Epifanes and a badger brush today. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions where to store the brush in between coats. Ideally, I would like to just leave the brush in a container of thinner, but I suspect it would eventually spill when some sportfisher blasts by.

If you're talking about short term storage, rinse with thinner, put in a plastic sandwich bag and seal with a rubber band. Long term I store mine suspended in diesel.

I used to buy and use expensive brushes for my Epiphanes, or other varnishes. Not any more. I'm a cheap chip brush guy and I even reuse them over one night; wrap 'em in kitchen cling wrap. I do have to pay attention to the crappy things loosing bristles; pick 'em out on the run. Brush cleaner costs as much as paint(!).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom