Crust material in Head Discharge Hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neworleansrich

Vessel Name
Catalyst
Vessel Make
50 ft Power Cat
Has anyone found a solution to remove the crusty buildup in head discharge hoses. I have used Muriatic Acid in the past but hesitate here since this boat has electric heads.

That buildup which can get quite thick is uric acid salts produced when urine reacts with sea water. It can be dissolved but it will take something stronger than vinegar and it will take a long, long time.

Usually it is easier to just replace the hose if it has built up thick enough to cause flow problems.

If the hose is short enough and can be easily pulled out you might try swinging it against a tree to break it up and knock it loose. Then soak the inside with Barnacle Buster, Rydlyme or HCl (muriatic acid) to get the last of it out.

David

I know vinegar is the usual method. I tried some undiluted white vinegar on some of the scale in a bucket...2 hours...no significant result. Maybe over a longer period of time it would work. Or maybe it will help slow the build up.

Unfortunately, I can't simply replace the hoses on this vessel. Does anyone know the active ingredient in Barnacle Buster?

My discharge hoses were nearly completely clogged, in both heads. I ran a roto rooter snake through them and then dock water through a nozzle, which cleared them. I'd be interested in a liquid product to keep them clear.

Appears there is something to say for a toilet flushing from the boat's fresh-water tanks.

Has anyone found a solution to remove the crusty buildup in head discharge hoses. I have used Muriatic Acid in the past but hesitate here since this boat has electric heads.

Muratic acid has been the solution to sea water mineral buildup for decades...it will not harm any part of the system including electric toilets.

If you're reluctant to use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and are willing to spend a whole lot more, Sew Clean Sew Clean is considerably more eco-friendly and does the job as well or even better.

A cupful of distilled white vinegar flushed through the system weekly will do an excellent job of preventing it...and will dissolve it, but that's way too labor intensive a job--multiple applications a couple of hours apart (a single application won't work at all no matter how long you wait)--to be worth the effort when muriatic acid or Sew Clean will do it just as well with a fraction of the time and effort.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Appears there is something to say for a toilet flushing from the boat's fresh-water tanks.

I didn't want to derail my own post, but this boat has always been set up with fresh water supply to the toilets. Fresh water supply is in the build plans and all the pipes and hoses are glassed in, so nothing has changed. Apparently, the scale can build up in fresh water toilets also... Who knew. Maybe it depends on the dock water calcium load.

Whatever the case, it's pretty thick and bits have broken off and clogged the plumbing. It would be nice to find a liquid solution.

Ok I thought a lot about your issue and I think I have found the best, most ecological solution so follow the steps below:
1. Go in the field and capture a mouse (I won't detail the process here).
2. Roll it in some coarse sand paper, but do not forget to make holes for its legs.
3. Close the head water intake and drop the mouse in the head.
4. wait 2 or 3 days.

You should get a clean pipe.

Mice-In-A-Pipe.jpg

L.

I didn't want to derail my own post, but this boat has always been set up with fresh water supply to the toilets. Fresh water supply is in the build plans and all the pipes and hoses are glassed in, so nothing has changed. Apparently, the scale can build up in fresh water toilets also...

It can, but it's rarely hard water minerals...it's something called "struvites" (urine crystals), and it's common in systems with toilets that use very little flush water. Muriatic acid or Sew Clean is the liquid solution you're looking for...a daily bowlful of clean water with a cupful of distilled white vinegar can prevent it.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

I have used the Sew Clean but did it as a preventive measure. Didn't pull the hoses to check it out after, just assumed it did something.

Interesting reading about "struvites". This composite mineral is solvable in hot water but not cold water. The conditions that favor its creation are high pH (so basic pH) low temp, high concentration of ammonia, magnesium and phosphates. The struvite totally dissolve in a solution of sulphamic acid (2 to 4%) (wikipedia is your friend)

L.

What Peggy said about muriatic acid. The plumbing trade uses a product named "Sizzle"- basically muriatic acid with some additives that make it a little more viscous than straight muriatic acid, it helps to reduce splashing.

Muriatic acid is very effective on urinary salts, and is relatively safe to use, provided precautions are observed. It IS acid, and it can damage tissue and textiles. So wear appropriate protection: rubber gloves, face shield or safety glasses,old clothes and avoid the vapors/fumes. The vapors are acid, and breathing it can cause significant irritation, get a good dose and you incur chemical burns. Always add acid to water, never add anything to acid. Avoid pouring that creates a splash, a long funnel can help. And.... it STINKS!

To help cut down on the smell, add the acid to the head, and have some Saran Wrap standing by, and use it to cover the bowl and seal the stink in the bowl. Use a quart or two for each head- the idea is to have enough acid in contact with the deposits to be able to work on them. Allow at least a half hour of contact time, then flush it. The acid will mostly be neutralized by the reaction with the mineral deposits, any residual will go to work on the deposits in the tank. If your lines are long, you may have to add enough to enable you to flush it downstream. The idea is to keep as close to full strength as practical for most effective use.

DO NOT use acid if the system has any blockage. You DO NOT want to be in a situation where you end up with a bunch of acid trapped in a line and no way other than taking it apart to deal with it. Just don't go there! If there's a blockage, clear it mechanically first, then treat.

Muratic acid has been the solution to sea water mineral buildup for decades...it will not harm any part of the system including electric toilets.

If you're reluctant to use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and are willing to spend a whole lot more, Sew Clean Sew Clean is considerably more eco-friendly and does the job as well or even better.

A cupful of distilled white vinegar flushed through the system weekly will do an excellent job of preventing it...and will dissolve it, but that's way too labor intensive a job--multiple applications a couple of hours apart (a single application won't work at all no matter how long you wait)--to be worth the effort when muriatic acid or Sew Clean will do it just as well with a fraction of the time and effort.

Peggie
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

Peggie
Will the acid harm the good bacteria in the Blackwater tank?

Crusty Material?

Sorry, was getting a little excited for a minute.

Steve, Peggy

I have a manual head with a 15 foot hose run to the holding tank (Krogen 42). If I put in 2 quarts of muriatic acid I would need to pump it down until it just covers the working portion of the toilet. (Bottom flap on a Groco head). Letting it sit in the bowl does not seem to make any sense.

Is this the correct procedure

I know vinegar is the usual method. I tried some undiluted white vinegar on some of the scale in a bucket...2 hours...no significant result. Maybe over a longer period of time it would work. Or maybe it will help slow the build up.

Unfortunately, I can't simply replace the hoses on this vessel. Does anyone know the active ingredient in Barnacle Buster?

Phosphoric acid

Peggie
Will the acid harm the good bacteria in the Blackwater tank?

Doesn't matter whether it will or not because holding tanks should be thoroughly flushed out 2-3 x season--and especially in preparation for winter or other extended layup--to get rid of any sludge anyway. Doing that immediately after cleaning out the hoses will also flush out any acid.

It's not necessary to fill the tank with water to flush it out...I've posted the instructions here several times and they're also in my book if you can't find 'em here.
Peggie

I assume muriatic acid comes in different strengths...if two quarts, what strength?

Pick up a gallon at a home store, I've not noticed different concentrations, I think you'd only find that if you were sourcing it from an industrial chemical supply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom