Show us your ER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I'm ever fortunate enough to have an ER like that one, I could probably have the artwork AND the real thing. No worries about catching my Admiral in the ER ever. Of course, eventually she'd get concerned about why I suddenly became a maintenance addict.

That's it. Tomorrow I'm shopping for ER artwork. They might just be postcard size, but they'll be my ER art.

I must be getting old. I would rather use the wall space to hang equipment/gauges, switches etc. on then the art work.

Marty

I must be getting old. I would rather use the wall space to hang equipment/gauges, switches etc. on then the art work.

Marty

It's art. You don't have to understand it, just appreciate it. :lol:

Thanks Marty,

That made me laugh. I have seen the same space on other boats used for a nice shadow board for tools.

One of the advantages of the art work is that I always have LOTS of volunteers for engine room checks whenever the boat is underway....

:thumb:

Island Pilot ERs

Here's some photos of the Island Pilots' engine rooms.

The IP535 (53'6") has stairs leading from aft cockpit (not the accommodation) to a full-headroom mezzanine forward of the engines - the work bench is to port and the fuel manifold on the forward bulkhead. Two steps lead down between the Volvo Penta D-11s for total access on all four sides. The pods are aft of the motors. An electrically activated hatch opens to let in light and fresh air and let the heat out.

The IP435 (42'0") has 3 opening hatches in the aft cockpit with plenty of room on all four sides of the engines.

On the other hand, we have NO engine room on the DSe. Instead, the motors are in motor boxes - cramped - and nearly impossible to access anything other than the front of the motors. This was because we had designed the boat for a serial hybrid drive train from Glacier Bay - unfortunately, this system did not perform to our expectations and was replaced with the Steyr parallel hybrid system. We therefore had to shoehorn these diesels into a space designed for small electric motors.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3521.jpg
    IMG_3521.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3520.jpg
    IMG_3520.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_4648.jpg
    100_4648.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_4634.jpg
    100_4634.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 131
  • PMY_MG_0638.jpg
    PMY_MG_0638.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 128
It's time to resurrect this thread!

A few days ago, I had the good fortune to spend the evening with nemier, better known as Andy on N62 Infinity. Andy was in town and had an evening to waste so he knew to call me. Who's better at wasting time than me, right?

We had a great evening of checking out the Sacramento waterfront by land yacht and by foot. We stopped for a beer on the Delta King with the Sacramento River at very high flow. We had a 7 ft rise in the Sacto River in the past couple days. We had huge rafts of debris floating by our bottles of beer. One had a full tree with yards (meters) of flotsam topped by a red and white igloo cooler. It was almost like a sign from God!!

Made me glad I wasn't out there on a boat. We hit another at a nearby waterside trough, then headed for a unique dinner in these parts....a Chicken-fried Rib Eye at California Fats! Yes, it was as good as it sounds!

Anyways........Andy told me about the systems on a N62 and I figure with all that heavy gear, he's probably got an ER that beats all. I'd really like to see pictures of it. He's probably home by now so I'm hoping he gets some good shots for us.

Since Andy and I enjoyed a couple beverages, I snapped this pic as proof to the arresting officer that I didn't have anything to drink with dinner.

img_423191_0_52d4f0f4006abbeb9ac1fa944fa3db5e.jpg

As you may have noticed, I completely missed the table. I'm not a regular at this selfie stuff! So if I got a DUI while driving home, at least I had a picture of my accomplice. (I was just fine for the drive home and the law is none the wiser. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Thanks for a great night on the waterfront, Andy! I hope to see you again in warmer climes.

Last edited:
I was on an N62 a couple of weeks ago, and the ER was pretty nice. Look forward to Andy's pics.

Here is a shot of my port engine from the entry door, and another aft of the stbd engine before the carpet

Attachments

• ER from Entry 2sml.jpg
    ER from Entry 2sml.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 32 ER Stb aft 1 sml.jpg
    32 ER Stb aft 1 sml.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 96
Sonas.

Attachments

• Alaskan13.jpg
    Alaskan13.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Alaskan14.jpg
    Alaskan14.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 89
Although I've always lusted for a walk in/stand up ER, This is what I presently have.

Attachments

• Port Engine.jpg
    Port Engine.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Looking Forward in ER.jpg
    Looking Forward in ER.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Hot Water Tank.jpg
    Hot Water Tank.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Easy fan belt change.jpg
    Easy fan belt change.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 94
mainship repower

Attachments

• new 6bt 220hp.jpg
    new 6bt 220hp.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 154
Messy but works :)

Attachments

• 11230789_10155810569230375_3097173648891368576_n.jpg
    11230789_10155810569230375_3097173648891368576_n.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Here's mine - access by groveling and reaching down....

20130506_141739.jpg

Defever ER

[/attach]

Here's my man cave.

Attachments

• eng rm.jpg
    eng rm.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 118
It's time to resurrect this thread!

A few days ago, I had the good fortune to spend the evening with nemier, better known as Andy on N62 Infinity. Andy was in town and had an evening to waste so he knew to call me. ........Andy told me about the systems on a N62 and I figure with all that heavy gear, he's probably got an ER that beats all. I'd really like to see pictures of it. He's probably home by now so I'm hoping he gets some good shots for us. .

Thanks for the warm words Al,,, Yes folks, he is a cool guy! :thumb:
As for our engine room,, uhm, it's sort of in a state of disarray at the moment, while we prepare for our voyage to Tahiti. I'm currently loading 91 gals of lube oil --by hand-- into the Engine room, and changing out all engine and transmission oils,,,, bit of a messy job. In fact, it's Hell in the ER right now. Once we get our act together, I'll run a short Go-Pro vid of our ER. But no way it's gonna surpass many of the beauties we've seen on this thread.

Engine rooms come in all shapes and sizes, ordered and disordered, clean and dirty.* Some bilges are clean enough to eat off of, others look like a petrie dish experiment gone bad. Here are some older pics of mine showing looms of wires in need of attention.
OK, I've shown you mine...show me yours!

Not on your Nellie. My boat is 40 years old. It has had several previous owners, some of who were not as fastidious as I am. :angel: :eek:

So, well...let's just say my ER has accumulated 40 years of, well...accumulations, some would call a weathered sort of patina. Others might have a different term for it. You would not want to eat anything in there, let alone breakfast. :nonono:

Besides, getting it all shite and briny would not make it go one fraction of a knot faster and it would be noisier. Anyway, most folk who love to show off their ERs are, well, show-offs...because they are nearly all new or pretty new, or owned/previously owned by folk with OCD, and know they look good. Don't you worry about that. I'm ontayah..! :socool:

Last edited:
Engine Room Photos

Ok Im going to tell on myself.... When I get invited to tour someone's boat I always have a real interest the engine room. I love seeing how they are laid out.

Attached are photos of our engine room. I hope others will post pictures of theirs too so we can all see what the various engine rooms look like!

Norm
IMG_8400.JPGIMG_8401.JPG

Last edited:
Norm, that is just depressing. :-(

My ER is not nearly as commodious as yours. I have full crawl-around head room.

Pffft. Waaaaay too much empty, wasted space there Dude. A real trawlers engine room allows for the potential of leaving a scraped bloody smear on any given wall at any given moment.

Attachments

• Badger's engine 'room'.jpg
    Badger's engine 'room'.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 157
Pffft. Waaaaay too much empty, wasted space there Dude. A real trawlers engine room allows for the potential of leaving a scraped bloody smear on any given wall at any given moment.

OK here's mine. Not too big, not too small.

Plenty of opportunity to leave some skin behind.

Attachments

• DSC00989.jpg
    DSC00989.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 173
  • DSC05541.jpg
    DSC05541.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC05548.jpg
    DSC05548.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 200
  • slide 6 engine room.jpg
    slide 6 engine room.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 212
That Gardner is drop-dead gorgeous.

Hey Norm...ever play hide & seek with the kids in yours ;) How do you like the sea chest?

You guys have WAY too much room. I am still trying to find a good spot for my tools and spares.

My ER's a floor up, head down, ass in the air big !
Do you guys all have shares in Raccor ?
What's wrong with ordinary filters ? If you want a turbo water separator filter what's wrong with CAT ? Way cheaper...
Love the Gardener, there is still a part of the family company that refurbishes them if any one needs anything ask me and I'll put you in touch.

Last edited:
When I die I wish to be reincarnated as a Gardner, I will be around for much longer the next time.

Engine Room Photos

That Gardner is drop-dead gorgeous.

Hey Norm...ever play hide & seek with the kids in yours ;) How do you like the sea chest?

Love the sea chest! No Strainers to clean and really easy to winterize. I just use a 1 inch thick neoprene swim lounge float and pull it with a rope under the boat under the sea chest and its sealed off...start engine and pour in the pink...when pink appears out the exhaust shut down engine do the same for the others and the ACs. Quick and easy! [emoji106]

OK, so here is one the the engines and part of the systems install, mostly before the carpet went onto the floor.

Attachments

• JD port 1 sml.jpg
    JD port 1 sml.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 112
  • ER Stb aft 1 sml.jpg
    ER Stb aft 1 sml.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Fuel polish 3 sml.jpg
    Fuel polish 3 sml.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 114
  • ER from Entry 2sml.jpg
    ER from Entry 2sml.jpg