No coverage in Bohamien waters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
My insurance company has advised me, (when I went to up my coverage) I am not insured in Bohamien waters. Progressives reason is because I am a single engine.

Can I get insurance somewhere else with better coverage?

I didn't think Bohemia had even a large lake to cruise in. The shipping cost for a 36 must be extreme. :D

sorry, couldn't resist.

It should only take minutes to do a Boat US app online and get s quote. You then should be able to delve into the paperwork to see any special requirements

I'd give these folks a call.

Marine Insurance Agency | Maritime Insurance Company

They are an Agency carrying multiple marine lines. They only do marine insurance. They should be able to find coverage for you. I bought a boat that is 10 feet longer, 4.5 feet wider, weighs 3x times as much and costs 3 times as much and the policy they got me was cheaper than what I was paying on the older smaller boat with similar (relatively) coverage.

The policy they found me included a 'Trawler Endorsement' which extended how far offshore I could travel as well.

Our Boat US policy covers us in the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos. It was pretty reasonable cost wise actually, as well.

Many of the ins co's that write mostly car and house policies seem to freak out in the marine world unless it is a production outboard skiff. You will probably have to shop for another policy.

Most of the larger boats in my area go to our local marine specific broker and let him shop the best policy.

Last edited:
Many of the ins co's that write mostly car and house policies seem to freak out in the marine world unless it is a production outboard skiff. You will probably have to shop for another policy.

Most of the larger boats in my area go to our local marine specific broker and let him shop the best policy.

My exact thoughts too. These car policy companies are expecting to only cover boats that are towed behind cars. They have no experience (or frankly, have no business) trying to do yacht policies.

Donna

I had progressive for a smaller boat many years ago and they were able to ad a rider that covered me in the Bahamas up to 400 miles from Florida and it was written for a couple of months and the cost was very little. I found a better company so I don't use them today.

BTW in over 50 years of boating Ive never had a claim.

Donna

I had progressive for a smaller boat many years ago and they were able to ad a rider that covered me in the Bahamas up to 400 miles from Florida and it was written for a couple of months and the cost was very little. I found a better company so I don't use them today.

BTW in over 50 years of boating Ive never had a claim.

That's what I was thinking, ask for a rider. My lasy insurance company would offer one for ither a payment or increase in deductible.

Our broker just gets us a rider when we travel out of area. Usually cheap, sometimes free.

FWIW, our broker is IMIS... good folks.

-Chris

My insurance company has advised me, (when I went to up my coverage) I am not insured in Bohamien waters. Progressives reason is because I am a single engine.

Can I get insurance somewhere else with better coverage?

Get insurance from a yacht insurer. There are many fine brokers who can assist you. Ace, Merkel, Geico, Pantaenius, Lloyd's and many others would have no problem covering the Bahamas. I would bet your present coverage has some other shortcomings as well.

For someone living on the East Coast of Florida to have been issued a policy not covering the Bahamas is absolutely crazy. it's like saying they're not going to cover your car if you drive to Tampa.

Ha, they read your post about meeting up with pirates on your last crossing....

I have had BOAT/US for 35+ years. Great service. I am sure they will cover yoy for the Bahamas unless you have something really unusual to deal with. I like them because they know boats not cars.

Wifey B: Only thing dumber than Progressive not covering it is their reason. Single Engine? So they're not going to cover any Nordy's or KK's? :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Actually from my knowledge of Progressive their niche in boating is smaller trailerable boat not boats like most of us have. The policy I had with them covered coastal US waters and needed a rider to cover even Bimini which is approx 50 miles away.

Donna- Get back in contact with Progressive and ask them specifically about whether a "rider" is available to increase coverage to the Bahamas. The person you spoke to might have just been reading the coverage in the policy as written, and had no idea what they were reading or talking about.

As to that "single screw" criterion, that is clean out of the blue.... Lots of single screw boats go over there.

My renewed BoatUS policy has expanded coverage from inland waters to within 25 miles of the Golden Gate to include coastal waters of the US and Canada.

That's what happens when you talk instead of type! LOL!

Thanks all, I'll be calling around with your suggestions!

I had Progressive till they found out by a slip of tongue that we where living aboard while doing the loop, like dah how else do you do the loop, but they would not have had a clue what the loop was all about. They then would not renew the policy. The dead give away was during the initial writting of the policy was when they asked about our outboard motors and a boat trailer. We have had BoatUS ever since, our policy covers the US, Canada and the Bahamas plus covers real world marine type casualties.

Last edited:
Al Golden at IMIS underwritten by Markel. Single screw entire Caribbean, just wife and I. Got rider for Colombia for $100/mo. when needed.

Great Service

Back
Top Bottom