Narragansett Bay Anchorages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidM

Valued Technical Contributor
Hello all:

We have just moved our Mainship Pilot 34 from Essex on the Connecticut River to East Greenwich Yacht Club on Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island. Nice, friendly club and if you amortize the $1,500 initiation fee over a few years, their moorings are as cheap as anyones.

Yesterday we cruised over to Potters Cove and found the inner harbor completely filled with moorings. Active Captain says that these are not available for rent and there is a $100 fine for using one (even though 99% were empty). Nice and friendly aren't they!!!

The outer harbor would be ok in normal SW winds but the wind was expected to clock through from the SW to NE by the next morning with a frontal passage so we didn't anchor.

So for those who cruise and anchor in Narragansett Bay, can you give me some tips on good anchorages. We have previously anchored in Bristol just south of the mooring field and I know that that anchorage will be rolly in S-SW wind but fine otherwise. I have also anchored in Dutch Harbor to the north of the docks and that was ok. Also Newport, RI behind the cable markings near Ida Lewis YC but that anchorage is always pretty full and tight.

Any others we should check out. How about the Kickamuit River to the northeast of Bristol. Looks like a hurricane hole but could be packed with moorings. Wickford Harbor inside the breakwater is definitely packed with moorings, but how about Wickford Cove outside in SW winds. What is Coggshall Cove like on the other side of Potters Cove. Doesn't look like it is full of moorings but the current probably rips through there.

Appreciate any help. After a year or so of cruising that area, I will post my own observations.

David

Block Island, Cuttyhunk and Martha's Vinyard...
We typically leave the bay and head out! Lots of great cruising nearby.
Bruce

The Kickamuit is a good spot to anchor. After you go through the little S curves to enter the river most of the mooring balls are over to the left near the homes. To the right side is usually wide open. Shallow with good holding. It does get shallow the further you go up river. It is usually a very calm anchorage.

Depending on your draft, you need to be pretty careful going into the Kickemuit especially at low tide.

In Newport, we usually anchored away from the crowd closer to the Newport Bridge behind Rose island. Larger vessels anchor there but usually plenty of room.

Dutch Harbor was also a favorite spot. Easy walk into Jamestown for dinner and supplies.

South of Patience Island is also a good spot.

Bristol is great for weekends and dinner. Probably need to rent a mooring.

Hi DJMarchand. It seems as though all of the more popular spots have been discussed here by the other contributors so I won't go into that. I think that I saw your boat on its mooring a couple of days ago. She certainly looks good. I will be moving my recently purchased Mainship 34 Pilot nearby on my mooring inn EG cove (Just north of you). I hope that we can meet and begin a friendship.

Hello Bob:

Yes, my boat is on mooring C26 approximately opposite EGYC's fuel dock. I will keep an eye out for you on your Pilot and dinghy over to say hi. You do the same.

David

Good overnight

Third beach at entrance to the Sakonnet river.

Third beach at entrance to the Sakonnet river.

Thanks, I missed that one. Looks nice in prevailing SW winds. Also an interesting cruise from EGYC.

David

I can also say that the Kickamuit is a nice anchorage.
2 years ago we got the crap kicked out of us in Dutch Harbor. 15 kts out the SW which is pretty normal. We had to work hard to get in and out of the dinghy.

David, I am looking in the current June issue of "Points East" and an article about anchorages and moorings talks about potter cove and does not say anything about a fine for being inside.
You should pick up your free copy and check it out.

I might just grab a mooring one night and see what happens. Potters Cove in the mooring field is one of the most protected places in Narragansett Bay. It is a shame to let all of those empty moorings go to waste.

David

Maybe sometime mid summer I'll join you.
We are full time liveaboards this summer.

Coggeshall cove is not a real good spot. Our Mainship III gets a little rolly there. And while at anchor there some people seem to always cruise past us at a high rate of speed. Very considerate! And you really have to pick your spots to avoid a few clusters of boulders on the bottom. It's really better for smaller vessels. You could also go South of Wickford to Bissell Cove. We go there quite often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom