Cruising from the USVI to Grenada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
ECHO
Vessel Make
Transtar 50' Trawler
My husband and I are planning to cruise from ST Thomas down to Grenada and take a few months to explore along the way. We have from Mid June to January to chose from.... anyone have any experience and can recommend which months would be best? We are more concerned with having calm weather than we are worried about the heat. Also wondering if it would be smart to be further south just incase of hurricane. Thanks!!

June to mid-November sees a substantial reduction in the number of cruisers (mostly sailboats) in the Eastern Caribbean. Most boats are on the hard tied down for the hurricane season. A good number of the remaining boats, mostly full time liveaboards, move south to Grenada so that they are at the southern end of the hurricane zone and if necessary can flee to Trinidad which is 86 nm south of Grenada in the event of a storm.

Yes the weather is calm until mid-December in the middle of the Eastern Caribbean. In late December and January you have the "Christmas winds" and travel is a matter of waiting for a weather window.

Friends who have put their boat back in the water in July and August for a couple of weeks of cruising tell me the weather is great for sailing.

Good luck, enjoy your trip. You will find the most cruisers are the opposite time period, mid-November to early May.

Many of the normal eastern winds die out at night , so some folks will motor then as far east as Antigua , then its simple runs ,or beam reaching down behind the island chains.

Even the Christmas winds are more modest passing behind a high island.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom