Old 05-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
I have a 1979 Marine Trader Europa Sedan with a FL 120 in it. Runs great but I'm starting to find it a bit slow. Against the wind and current (St. Lawrence River) I will often drop around 4 knots. I'd like to have a bit more power to never go under 6 and to reach 8-9 with no opposing forces.

Would putting in a new engine get me the extra speed I'm looking for or is it just wishful thinking?

There is a guy in my marina who has a MT 36 and repowered with a Volvo 200 HP (I think) and he goes significantly faster than me.

(No need to get into the cost debate at this point, just the rationale new engine vs speed).
Sorry to be a wet blanket, Fotoman, but even if money was no object I doubt you would gain much, even with a 210hp Cummins in there. I have the exact same vessel and engine, and I can just feel that there is more than enough power to reach over hull speed, but any faster than that would raise the fuel consumption so much I seriously doubt it is worth it, if the engine is otherwise ok.

If the engine had become so bad it was a throwaway..? But even then I doubt it, the boat in just too heavy and too short to realise the theoretically semi-planing capability. Better to save the money, sell her while the engine is still good, and, to use those iconic words..."get a bigger/faster boat"..!