What's in a name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our boat will be called RAINHA JANNOTA. Rainha means queen in Portuguese and Jannota is the nick name of my wife in her house, since she was born. She is my queen because she has been a mother, a father, a friend, a partner, a lover, a wife, and now a mate... no one deserves to be honored in our boat more than she does!

What the heck, as a first post I might as well join in. When we were looking for our current boat/home (we live aboard) we were making a list of all the names we could come up with. When we finally found out 41' President only one name kept comming out on tom. The one that stuck is Knot Knormal. Everyone that know me thinks it is quite appropriate. As to the dink? It's name is Knear Knormal.

Marty....................

Portuguese wrote:
*She is my queen because she has been a mother, a father, a friend, a partner, a lover, a wife, and now a mate... no one deserves to be honored in our boat more than she does!
Portuguese:

Uma bela expressão de amor para sua esposa.

It's my wife's 60th birthday this weekend. May I* have permission to steal your words? Our boat, too, is named after my friend, stepmother to my children, life partner, lover, wife, and* mate, with both a capital "M" and small "m". (and, less I forget, the "Admiral").

MartySchwartz wrote:
What the heck, as a first post I might as well join in. When we were looking for our current boat/home (we live aboard) we were making a list of all the names we could come up with. When we finally found out 41' President only one name kept comming out on tom. The one that stuck is Knot Knormal. Everyone that know me thinks it is quite appropriate. As to the dink? It's name is Knear Knormal.

Marty....................
*Welcome to the Forum Marty.

Boat name Moonstruck.* Dinghy name Moonbeam.

Have no idea where those names came from.
confused.gif

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 06:21:40 PM

No boat, presently...but its already named. My wife has a thing for sea turltes. They're all over the house and even on the outside of the house right under our street number, (big scortched copper thing, really neat). On our honeymoon this past May, she got a little sea turtle tattoo on her ankle. We hadn't made the connection yet, but it was very appropriate since we just became a "family". The next boat will be named "Ohana" and the dingy will be "Lill' Ohana II".

Scooter

As a sailboater used to crawling along at 6 kts, I was really taken when the Californian 34 we were looking at hit 24kts during the sea trial. Inane as it was, my comment "Really scoots along" stuck. Hence the name Scooter; also easy to say on the radio, 'specially when things are turning to mush & neither your brain or tongue are working really well.

-- Edited by chc on Monday 11th of July 2011 09:34:07 PM

When I bought my trawler,I had a name picked out for her and was going to change it. However as it turned out ,I took possetion of her on St. Pattys Day,She was allready named IRISH MISS,,I left it at that.BB

I'm assuming that most of the vessels represented here are docummented. What is involved in changing the registered name of a docummented vessel...other than the time honored maritime ritual, sacrifices to the gods, etc?

nehringer wrote:
I'm assuming that most of the vessels represented here are docummented. What is involved in changing the registered name of a docummented vessel...other than the time honored maritime ritual, sacrifices to the gods, etc?
*You can find your answer here:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

Marty..........................

nehringer wrote:
What is involved in changing the registered name of a docummented vessel...other than the time honored maritime ritual, sacrifices to the gods, etc?
*The requirements are pretty straightforward as listed by the previous poster.* One thing that can be helpful is that if the vessel you buy is already documented and you choose to document it as well, the documentation number will stay the same.* While our boat has had a different name under each of the prior owners the documentation number has stayed the same for all of them and us as well.* The nice thing about this is that the documentation number that is permanently attached to the boat doesn't have to be replaced.

For example a previous owner or our*boat---*perhaps the original owner---*had the documentation number carved into a large teak plank and then had this plank solidly fiberglassed to the inside of the transom in the lazarette.* Even though we changed the name of the boat, we submitted the documentation papers as soon as we got the boat so the number remained the same and that big teak plank still satisfies the "permanently affixed" part of the documentation requirement.

Marin wrote:...The nice thing about this is that the documentation number that is permanently attached to the boat doesn't have to be replaced.
*Yeah, something like this:

img_54962_0_d67d6c950c2c1694bec0a9d316f16d9e.jpg

markpierce wrote:Yeah, something like this:
I don't thnk so ...

That decorative piece of woodwork stuck to the interior paneling doesn't look like it is a permanent marking of the hull so that its removal or alteration would leave obvious marks.

It could easily be replaced in minutes with a picture of Fido or another number engraved on a slightly larger piece of wood velcroed to the bulkhead.

A steel vessel should have the official number welded onto the structure.

RickB wrote:
That decorative piece of woodwork stuck to the interior paneling doesn't look like it is a permanent marking of the hull so that its removal or alteration would leave obvious marks.
*I suspect that the nice plaque in Mark's photo doesn't actually satisfy the requirement.* The teak plank in our boat is a fairly rough-hewn thing about four or five feet long*with the letters and numbers deeply carved into it and the whole thing is heavy glassed to the inside of the transom.* There is nothing decorative or pretty about it--- it's just a big plank that would take*a lot of cutting and hacking to remove and its removal would be very obvious from the shredded fiberglass on the inside of the transom.

A common location for the documentation numbers in Grand Banks boats is to carve it deeply into the permanent floor beams under the main cabin sole.* Another popular location is to have it engraved, either directly or on a plate that is then welded to an engine stringer.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 15th of July 2011 06:45:03 PM

I think not, Rick.* Requirements do not vary among wood, fiberglass, steel, aluminium, etc. boats.* Rip Fido's sign off and I guaruntee you a scar.

I think they're just jealous, Mark. I wish mine looked as nice. Just be safe, you could always write it on the hull in a sufficiently discrete place with a Sharpie.
bleh.gif
doh.gif
ashamed.gif

You're right, Al, but I highly doubt any government official will challenge the Coot's engraving.*

Give me an air-powered chisel and I*probably can*make any engraving disappear quickly.

markpierce wrote:
I think not, Rick.*
*Regardless of what you might think:
<pre>46CFR67.121</pre><pre>The official number of the vessel, preceded by the abbreviation
``NO.'' must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals not less than three
inches in height on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull.
The number must be permanently affixed to the vessel so that alteration,
removal, or replacement would be obvious.
If the official number is on a separate plate,
the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some
scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area.

If the decorative paneling on your boat is structural or is part of the hull
you certainly have bigger issues to think about.</pre>

-- Edited by RickB on Saturday 16th of July 2011 11:43:02 AM

RickB wrote:markpierce wrote:Yeah, something like this:
I don't thnk so ...

It could easily be replaced in minutes with a picture of Fido or another number engraved on a slightly larger piece of wood velcroed to the bulkhead.

A steel vessel should have the official number welded onto the structure.

*I'm sure that's true, however, Delfin was built in Norway, came directly to the U.S.*and for 40 years never seemed to need to have her numbers since when I bought her as a shell there weren't any.* I just had a sign company make up the number, affixed it to a bulkhead in the ER and clear lacquered over it.* It sure doesn't seem regulation to me, but I have been inspected twice and each time, the Coastie just looks at them and moves on.* Perhaps I'll meet a stickler some day, but so far, no.

"Just a Tinch".... A one of a kind name...the Admiral named her... as in when someone offers to pour you a refill.... you want "Just a Tinch".

Delfin wrote:for 40 years never seemed to need to have her numbers
*Unless you work the boat commercially there is no regulation requiring you to have it documented so that is not surprising. Why spend the money for a document if you don't have to unless to avoid plastering it with state numbers?

My only point was that posting a picture of an official number stuck to wood paneling in the wheelhouse of all places as an example of how it is supposed to be done is a bit lame.

Besides, that area is a great place for the clock, barometer, and clinometer.

The local coast guard station is only a quarter mile from my berth (the coasties zip by whenever I'm in the strait); however, I heard they only*inspect boats containing beautiful women or boaters who*look like they could harm themselves or others.

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 16th of July 2011 08:36:40 PM

RickB wrote:markpierce wrote:
I think not, Rick.*
*Regardless of what you might think:
<pre>46CFR67.121 ....</pre>
*Not sure there is any location on my boat meeting the literal requirements.* There is insulating foam on all interior*structural surfaces except for the bottom part of the hull.* Perhaps on the hull where the differential on the propeller shaft resides, but the floor*hatch would have to be removed to inspect it,*and that doesn't sound "clearly visible" to me.

RickB wrote:Delfin wrote:for 40 years never seemed to need to have her numbers
*Unless you work the boat commercially there is no regulation requiring you to have it documented so that is not surprising. Why spend the money for a document if you don't have to unless to avoid plastering it with state numbers?

She was first documented in 1965, I've had the same document renewed annually since 2004.* Why she had no numbers I have no clue, but when I bought her she was an empty canoe, so if they were there, they were very well hidden.* As in invisible.

I don't think the Coasties take that regulation as seriously as they might, perhaps realizing that anyone with a grinder and an engraver can make up a new number and put it whereever they want it.* My numbers clearly don't meet the regulatory test, but they don't seem to care much.* Mark's may not either, but I would be surprised if any official ever objects.

markpierce wrote:Perhaps on the hull where the differential on the propeller shaft resides ...
*Yeah, that sounds like a good place for it.

*Not sure there is any location on my boat meeting the literal requirements.* There is insulating foam on all interior*structural surfaces except for the bottom part of the hull.* Perhaps on the hull where the differential on the propeller shaft resides, but the floor*hatch would have to be removed to inspect it,*and that doesn't sound "clearly visible" to me.
******** Mark,* As nice as your plaque is, and I doubt if anyone would challenge it, I* tend to agree it wastes valuable bulkhead space.

A more traditional approach would have to have the numbers carved or affixed to a main deck beam.

Usually in a place you see as soon as you open the engine hatch.

The numbers on my boat are glued to the inside of the transom on some crude plaque.* Not nice at all

Okay I am a bit jealous.******* JohnP

I made up a board, routed the numbers in it, and screwed ot onto the beam you duck your head under going down to the galley. Looks good, but you don't notice it unless looking for it.

markpierce wrote:*Perhaps on the hull where the differential on the propeller shaft resides, but the floor*hatch would have to be removed to inspect it,*and that doesn't sound "clearly visible" to me.
*I don't think "clearly visible" means that it has to be visible when someone steps inside the boat.* I think it means that when you go to wheverver the number is permanently affixed it has to be clearly visible.** As opposed to being hidden behind a piece of machinery, covered by another structural member, dirty and hard to read, etc.* As I mentioned earlier, a lot of GB owners have their documentation numbers deeply carved into the permanent beams in the engine room that support the* main cabin sole, or engraved directly to an engine stringer or onto a plate that is then welded to an engine stringer.* The point here is that when you go into the engine room the documentation number is "clearly visible."* In our case, the number that is carved into the teak board fiberglassed to the inside of the transom in the lazarette is very much "clearly visible" when you lift a lazarette hatch and look in.

We've been boarded twice by the USCG and each time when they asked if the boat was documented (which I suspect they already knew before they came aboard) they asked to see the paperwork and then they asked to see the number on the boat.* We directed them to the lazarette, they went back and opened a hatch and looked in, and they came back and said "Perfect."

In your case, Mark, since the USCG is close by, you can always ask them to come and take a look at what you have, or show them your photo, and get their opinion.* If they say it's fine, then it's fine :)

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 17th of July 2011 10:48:07 PM

JAT wrote:
"Just a Tinch".... A one of a kind name...the Admiral named her... as in when someone offers to pour you a refill.... you want "Just a Tinch".
Is it short for *Tincture. You know that is an alchol based derivitave. Are you trying to tell us something.
biggrin.gif

SD

Admit my numbering isn't a good example of proper USCG documentation numbering, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

"I made up a board, routed the numbers in it, and screwed ot onto the beam "

The number must be "permanant" , glued boards work , screwed does not meet the requirements.

Back
Top Bottom