Top 3 list for your current trawler...good AND bad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Efficient, reliable twin Perkins with simple, reliable easy-to-work-on old school boat systems in an ER that makes for great access to most systems.
2. Appropriately sized for single-handing and our cruising and fishing trips in the SF Bay/CA Delta. Side salon door, double aft salon doors and wide side decks make it easy to move about when single-handing.
3. Two helms. The flybridge provides cool breeze and great views over river levees. The lower helm provides foul weather, sun and wind protectiion.

Dislikes:
1. Accommodations: Would prefer an island bed with a larger stateroom. (Hate the morning 'climb over')
2. Maintenance: Too much exterior wood for ease of maintenance (but I like the look)
3. Access: Would prefer better access to flybridge via steps (vs ladder) and a transom door for better access to cockpit.

I have to concur with Flywright on all counts.**In fact, you might have to wonder if we don't have similar boats.* (probably exactly the same) *I plan to cure the transom door issue this winter with a sawzall and a bunch of epoxy resin and glass fabric.* The accomodation issue, I'm still thinking about.

44' Gulfstar MC Trawler...

1. Twin Perkins naturals.
2. 7' Head Room in engine area.
3. Full keel stability
4. 2 Full heads (1 w/bathtub w/shower, 1 w/large shower)
5. Walkaround queen bed.
6. Large Aftdeck....very large.
7. Large V-Berth w/berths for two adults.
8. 450 Gallons fresh water capacity.
9. 500 gallon diesel capacity (1000 mi range)
10. Upper and lower helms. Flybridge helm is large, room for 6 or 7 adults.
11. No veneer in interior. All interior wood is 5/8's Teak Plywood.
12. Large salon.
13. Side decks are wide.
14. Ample storage areas all over boat. No wasted space.
15. Built like a tank...American made.

We've lived on her for almost 4 years now...still as happy with her as the day we bought her!!

one more thing...

while I love the twins, I wish I had twin keels for prop protection.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Saturday 16th of July 2011 04:08:05 PM

Ok JAT - here's a challenge. (Think of it as a punishment for skiting = Oz for boasting), as it was supposed to be the top 3 pluses and minuses about your vessel. Now do the hard stuff and whittle it down to the top 3 outa that long list...let's see what your priorities are...

Good

- twin maneuvreability

- Defever engine room access

- head room everywhere (6' 7" in heads, galley and at the helm)

Bad

- twins in the engine room*- outboard access sucks

- all electric - 30 amp just isn't enough with an electric range

- black iron fuel tanks

Good:

-Lots of living space
-Odor free
-Cheap to run

Bad:

-Engine access
-Not enough time
-Water leaks into 2 upper deck storage compartments

2000 Mainship 390 Twin Yanmar

Good
1.Perfect size for a couple or single hand
2.Extended flybridge
3.No outside teak

Not so good
1.It's a roller, made worse by hardtop we installed
2.Can't sit up in master stateroom bed without banging forehead
3.Cutout chine makes 2 inch wave sound like sledgehammer hitting boat.

WE are happy with the limited interior of our conversion as its built for 2 .

50 ft minus 15 ft for good sized aft cockpit and another 5 ft inside for a collision bulkhead means we have a 30 ft interior to play with .

Almost all waking time is spent outside or in the P-H so it is over sized and well suited to all day living .

Opening front and rear windows and side doors p/s make for good ventilation , overhead hatch and powered RV vent take care of rain days.

There is NO engine room per see,, a hatch is lifted to check or change the oil.

I do not wish to cruise in the engine space , so walking around or standing headroom to me is useless.

A 10 ft air draft is a huge bonus inshore , as well as offshore as the second or third story does not cause roll or instability.

Improvements? for sure , I, would like "dutch doors"in the PH for the poor days when we ship too much spray.

Last year I replaced the PH roof for a better shape , this winter the main salon overhead will be replaced and better bronze 6x18 opening ports installed .

The joy of a painted interior (instead of a furniture grade rainforest) is changes are easy and low cost .

The galley and main salon are full function , but any entertaining of large groups is done on the aft deck.

Since purchasing a "perfect" boat is impossible ,
and after a year or two a custom built boat owner will have found new ideas , the concept of purchasing a boat that can be "perfected" might make sense for anyone with a good skill set.

Likes...

1. raised pilothouse with doors on both port and starboard to wide side decks.

2. interior stairs to the flybridge from the pilothouse in addition to the usual ladder in the covered aft cockpit.

3. bow and stern thrusters.

Dislikes...

1. Black iron fuel tanks - although they still seem to be in pretty good shape.

2. Noisy electric heads - planning to replace.

3. Some damaged teak in the interior from water leaks never repaired by previous owners - learning about veneer repairs!

Susan- get the Raritan Marine Elegance with the smart flush controls- they are great!!!

Peter B wrote:
Ok JAT - here's a challenge. (Think of it as a punishment for skiting = Oz for boasting), as it was supposed to be the top 3 pluses and minuses about your vessel. Now do the hard stuff and whittle it down to the top 3 outa that long list...let's see what your priorities are...

Wow, I'm going to have to think about it...that's a tough one!!

JAT wrote:Peter B wrote:

Wow, I'm going to have to think about it...that's a tough one!!

*OK, here goes:

Pluses:

1.* Very fuel efficient.

2.* Very comfortable.

3.* Meets every requirement we have/had.

Minuses:

1.* Some items are hard to get to when repair or service needs done.

Well done JAT, diabolically cunning, but well done.

Peter B wrote:
Well done JAT, diabolically cunning, but well done.
*Thank you, sir!!
smile.gif

1. Raised pilothouse gives multiple living spaces
  2. Big efficient engine (Cat 3406) gives great performance and economy
  3. Hydraulic anchor windlass and bow thruster
Dislikes
  1. Large*hull to sand and paint for antifouling
  2. Engine and genset access is awkward (under saloon floor)
  3. Chine slap - chines have been re-shaped and noise is greatly reduced but
********* IT'S STILL THERE!

48'6" custom timber coastal cruiser
Likes,
1. Single low reving fuel efficient diesel
2. Large black steel fuel tanks, built by me, tested by me , installed by me and cared for by me. ( will last for ever)
3. full walk around decks with largish back deck

Dislikes
1. Noisy heads
2 .Master bed is not walk around.
3. Not enough hanging locker space

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom