View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #13
cool beans

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Ha! I'd like to relate my recent purchase (Bayliner 3870) and survey performed end of February

The last item the surveyor checked was the water pressure system. Everything worked, all faucets, no leaks. He then proceeded to take oil samples. We talked then for about 15 minutes and the survey was over. He went to wash his hands in the sink. . .and no water. Checked the switch, the leads, ground, etc. Pump had failed. In the ~60 minutes from testing and calling it good to the surveyor cleaning up, it quit working. The PO bought and installed a new one that weekend.

2 days later, the engine start battery shorted out. The PO also replaced that for me.

During the survey, the hour meters were noted as not working (no change during sea trial). During my return trip, they decided to work again and recorded ~8 hours run time

Since returning home (a month), the forward AC now doesn't work and my generator turns over but won't start (worked great before)

A "good" survey does not equal a guarantee. . .though if you read through enough boating forums, the prevailing wisdom does seem to push for that kind of idea.

My point is, crap always happens. . .you just never know when. And it is possible, as my water pump issue shows, that it will happen just after someone thought it was OK
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote