Auto Pilots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Conrad wrote:
*I always prefer the upper helm for its visibility and open airness (typical ex sailor I suppose) and am finding that having the A/P upstairs has a huge benefit in that I can practice my second love of photography without having the boat do corkscrews in the water.
*Darrell of Baltimore Lurker wrote...

Since I'm still lashed to the desk for the most part, my boating time is limited.* I don't get that far from home so I cruise only in good weather and I'm almost always on the fly bridge.* And I have to tell 'ya, even a 2 hour cruise to Annapolis or Baltimore is a PITA if I have to keep one hand on the wheel at all times.

Yes, and that is why if and when I get one, I will pay the extra to have the remote, so I too can work it from the flybridge, but mostly I'm down*below anyway because the parts we sail in most, and the times I am likely to be up top, the going is close, weaving through channel markers and buoys etc, so I would be manually steering anyway.

Whenever I've needed it (once in a dozen day-sails), the center-front pilothouse window can be opened up to allow a substantial breeze.* Haven't missed the absence of a flybridge, yet.* By the way, this photo was taken while under auto-pilot.

img_54923_0_3a008bf0a076b2b828ebf73f5f1ff15b.jpg

hogrider46 wrote:
I just got my 1974 32' GB.* It does not have an auto pilot.*What would be a good unit to get for a 17,000# boat?
*If you have not yet gotten the information you are looking for I second the idea posted earlier about posting your question to the Grand Banks Owners Forum http://www.grandbanksowners.com/index.php.* You need to join the GB forum in order to post to it and use many of the features, like the section that has copies of engine, transmission, etc. manuals.* Joining the forum is free but most members contribute annually to help defray the cost of maintaining the forum.

There are people on the GB forum like Bob Lowe, who for years ran Oak Harbor Boatworks in Washington State, a yard that specialized in maintaining, restoring, repairing, and upgrading Grand Banks boats, both wood and fiberglass.* There isn't much about GBs that Bob doesn't know and there are other very experienced and knowledgeable GB owners on the forum as well.* It is the best single source of information about virtually every aspect of owning and operating a wood or fiberglass*Grand Banks on the internet.

As your boat, like ours, has cable/chain steering there are some people, Bob Lowe*included, who believe that installing a hydraulic ram-type rudder control in the lazarette for an autopilot is not the best of ideas.* Back-driving the cable/chain steering system from the rudder bar(s) puts a lot of strain on the system because of the steering ratio that's used in the cable/chain system.* The better solution Bob and many*other GB owners feel, is to use an autopilot that drives the the wheel at the lower*helm.*

Many GBs had the old Benmar autopilot which had a control unit hung from the overhead in the engine room and was connected to the helm wheel with a sprocket and chain system.* There are new autopilots available today that operate somewhat the same.* These units, like the old Benmar, allow for control stations at the lower and upper helms.

Our 1973 GB36 had a Benmar autopilot on it when we bought it*which didn't work.* The estimated cost to repair it was some $1,000 and the age of the unit pretty much guaranteed that something else would fail sooner rather than later.* The seller knocked $1,000 off the price of the boat*to compensate for the*non-functioning autopilot but*the age and vulnerability of the old*Benmar, plus the fact that I prefer to run a boat manually in the waters we boat in, plus the fact that the Benmar's big*control unit made getting around the front of the engines very difflcult caused us to remove the system altogether.* But should we ever decide to install an autopilot we would go with the type that drives the helm wheel, not a hydraulic ram-type in the lazarette connected to a rudder bar.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 15th of July 2011 01:05:17 AM

Marin wrote:As your boat, like ours, has cable/chain steering there are some people, Bob Lowe*included, who believe that installing a hydraulic ram-type rudder control in the lazarette for an autopilot is not the best of ideas.* Back-driving the cable/chain steering system from the rudder bar(s) puts a lot of strain on the system because of the steering ratio that's used in the cable/chain system.* The better solution Bob and many*other GB owners feel, is to use an autopilot that drives the the wheel at the lower*helm......
.......Many GBs had the old Benmar autopilot which had a control unit hung from the overhead in the engine room and was connected to the helm wheel with a sprocket and chain system.* There are new autopilots available today that operate somewhat the same.* These units, like the old Benmar, allow for control stations at the lower and upper helms........... But should we ever decide to install an autopilot we would go with the type that drives the helm wheel, not a hydraulic ram-type in the lazarette connected to a rudder bar.

*I wrote in a previous couple of posts....
<table><tbody><tr><td style="width:100%;" colspan="2">* .......I have reservations about a system that not only has to move the quadrant, without the advantage of the gearing the original chain/rod/cable system has built into it, but you have to drive that gearing in the reverse direction, which must soak up quite a lot of extra electrical energy just doing that, as it is working against the reduction, which of course works the other way.
........The best option would be the rotary driven sprocket and chain adding it in at the behind the panel drive position, not on the wheel, so out of sight, with separate control head as with most hydraulic options, but that is about 3 times the cost.
It seems we are agreed on both issues, Marin, so a wheel pilot it is, in my view.* Has that helped anyone else?
__________________Peter B
'Lotus' - Clipper (CHB) 34
Brisbane, Australia
</td></tr></tbody></table>

I think that will go with one of the wheel type units. I am leaning toward the CPT system since I am only intrested in going straight. With this unit I will not have to change anything in the steering/rudder control.

"I think that will go with one of the wheel type units."

These usually work perfectly with a chain and cable setup.

Be sure to inspect the chain and cable setup, lubricate and be sure all the pulleys line up and are secure.

The belted units work fine , tho my old favorite antique the Wood Freeman required a bulkhead wheel unit with space for a second chain (Edison) .

THe brain of the new units will allow far more than going straight.

Back
Top Bottom