Helm chair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a car seat. No bolster

Who knows. I didn't look real close. Is it made in china?

Try it and let us know
biggrin.gif

SD

That's a very nice looking chair for the price.* I prefer swing up armrests to a flip-up bolster if it's going on a flybridge.* The bolster would be nice for enhanced visibility from the lower helm.*

Here's another link to additional specs on the same seat.* It would be nice to be able to sit on it before ordering.*

P_1042064-320x320.jpg

7tiger7 wrote:Here is one of their distrbutors:

http://www.glastop.com/marine-furniture-detail.asp?id=18
*FlexSteel has always been an up scale conversion*van and motor home furniture supplier.* They did have several levels of products like many others but their upper end is usually of real high quality.* They were innovative in the 80's with the first electric*powered tri fold seat to bed combos in conversion van.* Lower end van conversions could not meet price points with FlexSteel in them.* A converter could not just buy their entry level furniture and use their name, they required a mix of both entry level and high end to be a supplier.* Explorer, Bivouac, Texas Stage Coach, Coachmen*and a few others used FlexSteel in their conversions.

I've not seen any of their products in person, but they seem nice. I would imagine that if your helm seat would be under bimini and isinglass (spelling?) it would remain in good condition for a while. And they are MUCH cheaper than a Stidd or such. MUCH!

I like the idea of the Honda Odyssey seat but I need one for my flybridge and I don't always cover everything (and I drive from up there in bad weather most of the time). I'd hate to start getting rust streaks from the springs and other non marine grade components. It does look like it would be a great and money saving option for an inside helm. However I am in the market for some seats for my Jeep project..............

David:
I think the total weight, seat, box & all from UPS, was about 60 lbs. It is real comfortable, especially after a long ride; lean it back, feet up on the rails, bourbon & water in hand.
Mike

Our crewboat has a pair of Ferrari seats in it out of a wreck at the local junk yard...cool but I think there are even more comfy seats as they are like racing bucket seats...

For a flying bridge...there's a mainship at my marina where the owner took an old oak office chair and mounted it.* he left the swivel/rocker feature on it and probably has cushions below.* I sat in it and it was comfy AND relatively attractive compared to most marine seats.

Those in the area should contemplate the www.daniamarinefleamarket.com/

Last helm chair we purchased was far beyond our work boat norm , fine leather , up down swivels and leans, roughly $`1200 seat , new for $200 cash.

Here's another source of helm seats at "reasonable" prices. Anyone have any personal knowledge of these?

Lot of different styles and color combo options. The seats toward the bottom of the page look interesting. Solid color throughout would be my inclination.

Veada

Ok... Let's turn the corner on this discussion. I am in the market for a new helm seat. Ours is not comfortable or stylish (even though Bess recovered it since these pics) over long days on the ICW and I have bodged it together too many times already. I see a lot of helm seat sites on the interweb tubes and have a question. I have an 8-bolt plate about 10" across that bolts the post to the floor of the flybridge. It sure looks like 6-bolt is more of the industry standard. Do I need to have an adaptor plate fabricated or are there options? Pics attached for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• p1030816.jpg
    p1030816.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 105
  • p1030817.jpg
    p1030817.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 123
Why are you changing the pedestal? tube sizes are pretty standardized and you should be able to get a base in the correct size for the tube that you already have. I too had to patch my chair up during the voyage from MS. to S FLa. I don't want anymore plywood structures in my helm seat.

I'd like to have an adjustable footrest too.

Tom

You can put down any size or bolt pattern you like. There is no "one size". The existing bolts, once removed, will tell all you need to know about the deck they are bolting into. You will likely find they are lag bolts, 1.5" x1/4" If you don't want to patch the holes that don't fit your new bolt pattern, get a piece of 1/2" starboard, cut it to a pleasing size that is large enough to cover all the old holes and use it as an adapter between the new base and the floor. My helm seat is on a 4 bolt pattern, roughly 4" apart. It has held up well for many years. It was there when I got the boat in 94. The seat above it wore out and was replaced years ago.
As for decent seats, on pedestals with moveable footrests, Overtons, West Marine, and dozens of others pop up if you Google "helm seat".

The bolts don't bolt the chair DOWN, but look like studs that come up from below with lock nuts and acorn nuts. I would not feel good about trying to screw a helm seat to the fiberglass. A helm seat can take a lot of force and the lever-arm length of the entire structure would, in my opinion, pull screws right out of the deck. That said, I could use the existing studs to hold down the starboard and run new studs/bolts up thru the starboard, but again, could starboard put up with those forces? Can I see a picture of yours?

A helm seat can take a lot of force and the lever-arm length of the entire structure would, in my opinion, pull screws right out of the deck

Contemplate the G loads dropping off just a 6 ft wave, hour after hour!

ARoss wrote:
Aw... why not go all the way???*

*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:ARoss wrote:

*Having sat for hours in several different Stidd's, I find them not as comfortable as I would expect.* Sure, they are built from top quality materials with outstanding workmanship and quality, but for my money, I'd rather spend 1/10 (or less) the price and get a more comfortable seat.* One option is to go on line and find handicap van conversion companies.* They routinely remove new van seats to install wheelchair mounts.* The company I bought my seats from had an entire warehouse full of new takeouts.* I got a new seat in leather with two adjustable arm rests, reclining back, and even built in cup holders.* Total cost?* Under $200 for a pair!!* I then removed the bottom sliding track, bolted a piece of plywood to the bottom and mated it to a standard seat base.* I've put hundreds of hours on that seat, and I think it's more comfortable than ones costing thousands.......Arctic Traveller

*Bingo!* but some still prefer yachtie over practcal... :)

I think my lag bolts go thru the FG and into the framing of the floor. Sorry, no picture, and I am thousands of miles from the boat just now. You could use a piece of aluminum or a thicker piece of wood, as an adapter plate, just to get the strength you will need. The torquing of mine, after about 15 yrs in place, has never been a problem. Mind, when it gets rough enough to put extreme stresses on the bolts holding the chair in place, I am down below.

Been looking online but haven't found any companies yet that advertise takeouts for sale. Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from?

Been looking online but haven't found any companies yet that advertise takeouts for sale. Can you tell us the name of the company you bought from?

Try, *

http://www.absolutemobilitycenter.com/contact.html

I simply looked up "handicap van conversions" and gave them a call.* They didn't advertise the seats, but if they build new vans for use with wheelchair lifts, it's guaranteed they take out seats.* There should be manufacturers all over the country, so finding one near you should'nt be too difficult.** ......Arctic Traveller

*Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!

FlyWright wrote: Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
******** Couldn't agree more! Another helpful hint from Jim Venture. (Artic Traveller's pen name.)

SeaHorse II wrote:FlyWright wrote: Brilliant!* Absolutely brilliant!!
******** Couldn't agree more! Another helpful hint from Jim Venture. (Artic Traveller's pen name.)

*Sorry, but you have me confused with someone else.* I offer trawler training at www.arctictraveller.com

The Stidds are not designed to be kind to your butt.

They are to save your spine after hour after hour of 4-6G loads, on operating vessels.

Auto takeouts ARE designed to be couch like , and are fine for the 1 G cruisers.

Back
Top Bottom