What did you wish you brought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
As many of you know, I will be leaving for the Bahamas in about 10 days.

What is the one thing you wish you brought? Other than alcohol?

We've been in the Bahamas since the end of February. Fresh stuff (veggies) can be hit and miss, unfortunately you can only carry so much. My suggestion would bring your comfort foods, coffee, any personal stuff and maybe cheeses or happy hour snacks. We saw a 2.5 lb. container of mixed nuts and it was $30. :eek:

Greetings,
Ms. D. We're heading off to Alice Town Tuesday AM. Ask me in 8 days or so just to remind me. I've already scoped out the bakery so that takes care of breadstuffs and cinnamon buns. I suspect you should have lots of sun screen and sun burn medications. A suggestion from previous visits to the Bahamas. FIRST THING, find the local bakery and get there early in the morning (the good stuff sells out fast).

A breadmaker. Use it to make the dough, then finish in the oven. Also to make pizza.
Wine, unless you want to pay $40 a bottle for decent. Or start drinking captain and coke!
Walk around your kitchen at home and consider things that you use regularly, and if you don't have one on the boat, take it. Especially your most used pans.
Look at the clothes you have readied, and halve it.
Take something to do. There may be days that you are stuck on board all day. Knitting, cards, scrabble, DVDs.
A good pair of scissors.

After a few cruises the boat has pretty much everything on it that you need. Leave it on board. For next cruise it is simply bringing aboard perishable items and replacing stock consumed.

The second part of this is to be strict about removing anything on board that has not been used in a year. Except tools and spare parts!

During my 3 month cruise last year I seldom needed to visit a marina, but I did a few times. The biggest catastrophe was when the Nespresso broke. I had to resort to emergency supplies of instant coffee. Before my next long cruise an extra coffee machine will be added to the spares inventory!

Last edited:
Same as going to bed. Take a good book, or someone who has read one.

Ted

Wifey B: Nothing that we haven't taken but a couple of things we'd suggest not overlooking or understocking.

Plenty of suntan lotion. Whatever you think you'll need + 50% more.

A medical kit.

After dinner evening entertainment. And, I'm not speaking of what a lot of you are thinking although that is quite pleasurable. Things like movies or television or music or reading or all the above. Just something to quietly do while you relax. :)

Donna, as one who has never made the trip, I'd be very interested to hear more details about your planning, and the actual trip itself. Have fun and be safe.

As many of you know, I will be leaving for the Bahamas in about 10 days.

What is the one thing you wish you brought? Other than alcohol?

Donna, where exactly are you going?

Donna, will you be doing a blog about your trip or anything of the sort? I'd love to follow your adventure.
I'm insanely jealous and so excited for you! Will you be traveling alone or is someone going with you?
I hope you take and share lots of pictures with us!

It really is amazing bread.
Thanks for that.
We have done date and sunflower kernel versions
Olive and sun dried tomato
Banana
Sometimes mix oats (porridge) through.
Apple ginger and cinamon

It all toasts amazingly - best toast ever.

Did bring a sat. radio, to keep up with the world.

I love the suggestion of an extra Kurig or the like. I cannot do without my coffee.

I have doubles of most everything onboard mechanical.

I am not sure whether I will be blogging the trip. I will post pictures often. The gulf stream is the most incredible sapphire blue.

Going to Island seas resort marina and Carlton marina for the bottom paint. Both are close in Freeport. In fact very close to Lucaya.

As far as company, I have 2 friends, one here and one from Mississippi. Both will be making the crossing with me, but only one on the way back. We will see. Never know till the final boarding call.

This is the second time I am making the crossing. The first time was with my daughter in a 1996 24 ft. Sea Ray. The only thing that had going for it was its 454 engine. Space was lacking. Looking forward to a more comfortable ride!

Our center console. On our last two trips to the Bahamas, all I kept thinking was how much fun it would be to have brought our 211 Mako to extend our exploration/fun range from anchor. The logs from both trips are peppered with advice to myself to bring it next trip (my wife talked me out of bringing it on our last cruise over, a sore subject the entire time!).

We took an 11 foot Whaler (first time with a 25 HP and second with a ten horsepower. With the 25 it went like a bat out of hell, but was a wet boat. With the 10 HP, with both of us in it, and all of our normal ashore gear, it struggled, and usually lost, trying to get us up on plane (with me alone in it, no problem).

When you decide to tow a boat across the Gulf Stream, you should have also made the decision to wait for a better than normal weather crossing window than you might otherwise need.

The only other problem with doing that is being on a ten day departure schedule is there is also the preparations and gear needed to safely tow a boat, which you can find discussed ad nauseum on the forum.

Oh, and a view bucket. It's usually a five gallon bucket with a plexi-glass bottom. It provides awesome views of reefs and fish without having to snorkel up and go over the side (nice for checking the anchor set as well).

Last edited:
Wow...you crossed in a 24ft? I think I would have been terrified. Lol
How long will the crossing take you?

I'm with you...can't do without coffee.

Wow...you crossed in a 24ft? I think I would have been terrified. Lol
How long will the crossing take you?

I'm with you...can't do without coffee.

I made a mistake. I started the crossing at around noon. Rookie mistake at the time. Seas kicked up to around 5-7 feet about an hour in. On and off the throttle till we hit the gulf stream. Then it flattened out. On the other side we where greeted by pirates. They were in a large boat and although I kept changing course, the kept at me. I instructed my daughter to go in the cuddy cabin and retrieve what she needed to stay alive in case things got ugly. She was fully trained to captain the boat should I have become unable. She was also trained on defense. At the time, she was Miss Florida and worked for our Sheriffs dept. as a 911 dispatch operator. She knew what to do. They pulled within 20 feet of the boat and there where 3 of them. One of which I knew had a firearm. One asked, "where's the party mon", instinctively I said "no party here", hit the throttle at max speed and was able to get away from them. Their boat was no match for a 454 engine. We were lucky. I have not been back since. The crossing, because of seas and our encounter took 6 hours and was like riding a jet ski over. So, yea, pirates are real. Coming back the seas were flat and left at first light. The trip back was 2 hours 10 minutes.

Normally the trawlers are left alone since the pirates mainly look for drugs. I'm weary of course but this time will have binoculars on the bridge and take action before anyone gets too close. I flatly refuse to live in fear.

Benjamin Havey. "The guns are for the Pirates.

Martin Harvey. "Pirates? What pirates?"

Benjamin Harvey. "Pirates of the Caribbean. Captain Ron said they come up on you in high speed boats."

Martin Harvey "There are no Pirates of the Caribbean."

Caroline Harvey "I don't know, Dad. That's what you said about the guerillas."

Martin Harvey "He said gorillas, not guerillas. Gorillas, guerillas. Huge difference!"

Last edited:
Oh my...what an experience! I don't think I would have handled it as well as you.
Sure hope you have an uneventful trip over this time!

What's your cruising speed?

Did bring a sat. radio, to keep up with the world.

:thumb: An easy way to keep up with things and listen to the music you like. We have a docking station on Hobo and in a car back in JAX. We just move the control back and forth on one subscription to Sirius radio.

If you want reliable internet in the Bahamas, bring your iPad/tablet or an unlocked phone. Buy a BTC SIM card and some data. For $35/month, you get 4G, unlimited data. We've been from Myaguana to the Abacos and there were only 2 anchorages where we didn't have cell coverage. We have found that androids have better connectivity than IPads.

BTC Mobile | Mobile Phones, Plans, Tablets, Accessories

Beer, wine, and ice are expensive in the Bahamas. Bring plenty. We found our countertop ice maker indispensable.

Oh my...what an experience! I don't think I would have handled it as well as you.
Sure hope you have an uneventful trip over this time!

What's your cruising speed?

8-9 knots. 12 knots at the governor.

Back
Top Bottom