View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
JanisK
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42
HF radio or Satellite Phone?

Good subject, but why do I think that "coastal crusing" in Australia is a bit more extensive than on the East Coast of the US. Seems like "coastal Crusing" on the West Coast of the US is even different, and more extensive, than the East Coast. On the East Coast, you can go the entire length and not need a sat phone (personal opinion only, but I don't consider hopping over to the islands "coastal cruising"). You can travel over a thousand miles and never be far from very good reception if you are actually "coastal". Seems like the Northwest is far more rugged and Australia seems possibly more extensively so. Can you tell us your cruising plans? One last comment - It has been stated many times that a cell phone is the last choice in getting aid quickly. Radios are used for emergencies because a cell only goes to the source you call, and then has to be relayed.

Nothing against Sat phones, so if this doesn't make any sense to anyone, I apologize in advance.

-- Edited by Old Stone on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 06:09:09 AM

I do agree that more than one radio on board is essential, regardless of the type.

-- Edited by Old Stone on Wednesday 7th of March 2012 06:10:26 AM
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote