Generator Sound Enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I opened the sound shield to perform normal maintenance on my generator. I discovered some water in the drip pan and a goodly pile of salt. I repaired the raw water leak but it led me to question the "safety" aspects of the sound shield enclosure. So, is there any good reason to have one beyond sound deadening?

I would have seen the leak sooner without the enclosure and I suspect the generator would run cooler without it as well. Comments and what you do would be appreciated.

They can slow or contain a fire. Usually the generator end wiring or end bearing. Many people don't realize, sealed bearing grease has a life of about 5 years, even with light use. Grease gets hard or used up and the bearing gets red hot before electricity fails and alerts the operator.

. So, is there any good reason to have one beyond sound deadening?

The generator head end is more efficient at cooler temperatures, thats why the air inlet is on that end of the enclosure. The engine itself could care less, and there may be a lifespan penalty of a small % of some hoses and belts.
It's a sound enclosure, noise reduction is its primary function and most factory enclosures do a good to excellent job of noise reduction. Get a Db meter app for your smart phone (some are free) and take readings with the enclosure door open or closed, you'll get an objective idea of what to expect if you choose to remove it.
Otherwise, as the unit ages increase the maintenance check frequency and live with a quieter boat. IMHO noise reduction is a good reason to have one $0.02

:socool:

I do an inspection before starting every time.
That way you have the benefit of no lurking surprises.
It's simply the prudent thing to do...
Bruce

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom