Wow...our old boat DOES have some speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Clean bottom, working trim tabs, and new props have made all the difference in the world.

When we bought the boat last year, it wouldn't get up on a plane and wouldnt go over about 9-10 knots.

They got it up and got it go over 16 knots. Who knew.

Not that we'll ever run it like that but I'm glad to know if we ever need it to, it can.

:thumb:

Great news! So glad to hear you're back floating again.

Sometimes it just takes $$ to go fast. Sounds like it just costs $20K to gain 7Kts...not bad!

Great news! So glad to hear you're back floating again.

Sometimes it just takes $$ to go fast. Sounds like it just costs $20K to gain 7Kts...not bad!

Thanks!!

Lol yep...but that $20k included a whole lot of other stuff too.
In addition to those things, we had fiberglass work done, the cockpit door repaired, all new thruhulls, a dryer vent removed and glassed over, the hull buffed and waxed, vent covers replaced, plastic frames around portholes on the hull replaced, a tune up of the engines, installation and new ductwork of the new AC's, and some other stuff I can't remember.

So excited to get it back tomorrow! :dance::dance::dance:

Years ago my sailboat had an antifoul paint build up, the paint was peeling and cracking. I had it stripped,suddenly we were competitive in our one class Saturday racing series. Any boat is quicker post a/f, but a messy bottom like I think your boat had is a major cause of drag and reduced speed.

What props did you put on ????

Years ago my sailboat had an antifoul paint build up, the paint was peeling and cracking. I had it stripped,suddenly we were competitive in our one class Saturday racing series. Any boat is quicker post a/f, but a messy bottom like I think your boat had is a major cause of drag and reduced speed.

I never understood you blowboat racers (America's Cup excepted). Take the slowest form of transportation known to man and make it a race! Isn't that a bit anticlimactic? Just a bit like watching paint dry or grass grow? :facepalm:
:D :hide:

I never understood you blowboat racers (America's Cup excepted). Take the slowest form of transportation known to man and make it a race! Isn't that a bit anticlimactic? Just a bit like watching paint dry or grass grow? :facepalm:

Lmao!!!!

Take the slowest form of transportation known to man and make it a race! Isn't that a bit anticlimactic? Just a bit like watching paint dry or grass grow?
Golf is also a slow-moving game based on skill and finesse rather than brute horsepower burning whole herds of dinosaurs per minute. Doesn't make it any less valid as a sport for those that love it.

Spectators should watch whatever floats their boat.

Clean bottom, working trim tabs, and new props have made all the difference in the world.

When we bought the boat last year, it wouldn't get up on a plane and wouldnt go over about 9-10 knots.

They got it up and got it go over 16 knots. Who knew.

Not that we'll ever run it like that but I'm glad to know if we ever need it to, it can.

:thumb:

Quite a speed increase. Certainly, you will also be able to cruise at a reduced rate of fuel consumption and return part of your investment.:socool:

I sailed a lot, years ago. Eventually saw the light, through a tear in a sail :). Anticlimactic? I`m still climactic.:D
One joy of sailing is turning off the noisy "iron topsail" and letting the sails power the boat. You could turn off one engine for half the effect,but it`s not the same.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom