Valve, Rod, Head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
A friend in the slip next to me called this morning asking for help. He said, when he starts his engine (LF120 or 90) it has a loud knocking sound (he said clapping) and in just a few minutes the entire engine room is filled with smoke coming from the valve cover tube. That's about all the info I got at that time "it was early and I was still half asleep". We plan to have a look at it this weekend. Any ideas what is going on? :banghead:

Post a video of it starting up with oil fill cap removed. Sounds bad, like piston failure.

I just want to follow this thread. My wild ass guess is a valve hitting a piston. I'll be interested to hear what the problem really is. It sounds expensive.

While traveling the I CW I heard a noise which sounded like a one- lunger engine from a nearby dock. The noise abruptly stopped just as I realized that the noise was coming from on-board. A valve spring had broken, the valve punched thru the piston
and damaged the injector. The remaining 5 cylinders were enough to get to the dock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom