On deck motion sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike66

Guru
Vessel Name
Susan Helena
Vessel Make
Albin40
I am looking for a good solution for turning on my spreader lights if someone comes aboard at night. I have found some 12v motion sensors listed on Amazon, as well as one RV self-contained LED fixture. Has anyone found a good durable sensor or fixture that they are happy with? The ones I looked at have so-so reviews.

This is something I would never think of since a boat is always in motion. If I'm on the boat when someone boards that is not welcome, that is not a problem. If I'm not, take what you want, it's insured.

I recall someone (on this forum or CF) stating they used a pressure-sensing mat to trigger their lighting. Is the egress pathway on your vessel limited enough to consider that?

I'm looking for a security solution to cover the aft end of the boat. We have had some expensive things stolen, and my wife would feel better if we had the lights while at anchor. I could hook it up to an alarm as well. The motion detector works off of IR (heat) from a large body, so boat motion not a factor.

Last edited:
The best solution that will be trouble free is a set of 12VDC photo beam detectors.

Why not to use standard alarm motion sensor? They are cheap and when motion is detected you can do whatever you want, trigger an alarm or trigger a light is the same.

Like mentioned by Pgitug, photo beam are also a solution depending on what you want to do.

L.

I'm looking for a security solution to cover the aft end of the boat. We have had some expensive things stolen, and my wife would feel better if we had the lights while at anchor. I could hook it up to an alarm as well. The motion detector works off of IR (heat) from a large body, so boat motion not a factor.

I have gone through three motion detector battery operated lights. At anchor they have all turned the light on repeatedly when the boat rocks. Also if a dinghy is tied to the stern the motion detector is triggered from time to time.

This would be different of course if the motion detector was aimed so that it only covered the deck and not the sea.

Just wondering if anyone has a used a sensor that they are happy with. The ones I've found so far have the virtue of being cheap ($10) but the reviews are spotty. But at that price, I can just try one.

Yes, hopefully I can adjust the sensitivity to avoid false alarms. Good advice about the dingy. I usually raise it on the rear davitts to block the swim platform and keep the bottom clean. I know I sound a little paranoid, and we haven't encountered any pirates in Rhode Island, but the admiral would sleep better.

Yes, I looked at those and that may be my solution. I may even wire it to a relay to operate some other lights. I'm going to try a sensor first and see how that goes.

We use Ring doorbell and camera's at home and love them. We just added the security light/camera/siren/2-way speaker mounted to dock piling with solar charger facing the aft of our boat. Requires internet which we have at boat. It is not a cheap solution but I can log into app and see boat at any time. You are alerted on you phone with any activity and have 2-way talking. Worked great talking to boat washers to ask them to scrub out hatch cover drain grime from 2k miles away. You can set a wide range of field and sensitivity settings in app to tune for your boat environment. Probably overkill but cool as hell.

https://ring.com/security-cams

If you mount the sensor below the gunnel in the cockpit it should only "see" motion in the cockpit...or are you trying to activate the light before the boat is boarded ?

They have motion activated game cameras that take a picture with a flash when a deer walk down a trail.....having that aimed at the cockpit might be a deterrent as well as help ID the bad guy ( or girl ).

I have gone through three motion detector battery operated lights. At anchor they have all turned the light on repeatedly when the boat rocks. Also if a dinghy is tied to the stern the motion detector is triggered from time to time.

This would be different of course if the motion detector was aimed so that it only covered the deck and not the sea.

Same experience here. I mounted 3; one on each side deck and one in the cockpit. Too many false alarms from waves and birds. I adjusted the motion sensors to just cover the deck and found they were pretty useless. We removed them.

Ok, from lowest price to top.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. They have a lot of motion activated lights. People have them on their homes. Location will be your key. This doesn't use your spreader lights but uses the lights in the units.

I think you might find Aqualarm to meet your needs plus some others. It's a nice system. Defender sells it.

Now, a great system in my opinion is Yachtprotector, from the same people as Yachtcontroller.

Or if you want to go all the way, go Gost or Frankentek. I don't think what you're interested in. Just had to list.

Thanks everyone! Seems those who have tried them were not happy...not good news, but still I'll play around with it.

I use a trip wire system with a blank 12 gauge round. It scares the hell out of prowlers and animals, but doesn't hurt anyone.

Firequest They also have lethal and non-lethal rounds.

Attachments

• Trip Wire.jpg
    Trip Wire.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 75
Greetings,
Mr. L. While I sympathize with your system AND your sentiments, it IS possible a boarder up to no good may suffer hearing damage and sue you. I would caution against taking the chance due to the current litigious society.

Greetings,
Mr. L. While I sympathize with your system AND your sentiments, it IS possible a boarder up to no good may suffer hearing damage and sue you. I would caution against taking the chance due to the current litigious society.

Up here in canada we are using this positionned strategically on the deck:

piege-a-loups.jpg

Of course I am joking, and, while I am not a lawyer, I do not think it is legal here to have the shown setup as it can similar to a loaded weapon left without surveillance. Like Mr RTF mentionned can result hearing damage or worse like burns and eyes injuries. Personnally I would prefer to loose my hose than to see a kid injured with a DIY trap.

L.

You might want to contact Aqualarm to discuss your security concerns.
They make alarm systems for boats. Security, General Alarm : AQUALARM, Warning Systems For Land And Sea

They have pressure sensitive mats as well as other sensors.

Nice folks to deal with.

I mentioned them earlier, but didn't provide the link. They make an excellent inexpensive system. You can configure it many ways. I share your recommendation of them.

We have integrated systems of which the cameras and lights are just part of it. Aqualarm is the least expensive provider of such systems I know. I haven't used them but have referred others who have been very pleased.

I've used this motion sensor on the boat and in the house. Works great, no battery drain.
hqdefault.jpg

"plus there's the "revenge" factor......once the intruder calms down he may be so pissed that he does more damage."

The NJ motto, is " If you cant steal it destroy it! "

I would install a bunch of lawn lights that are solar powered and a camera setup inside the boat to record the area covered.

These are 12 or 24V and used on cars or trucks to record constantly the traffic in front of the vehicle.

All price ranges from $40 to hundreds depending on how long it recordes and in what detail.

We have a couple of these lights since they are sold in pairs. They have a solar panel and a bunch of SMT LED's facing down, and have a 10' motion sensor range.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Outdoor-Wireless-Motion-Sensor/dp/B01N4GKR35

We tried the BAXIA branded lights (similar design with solar cell, battery and LEDs on the bottom) but had all of them fail within 3-4 months, blowing the end of the internal solder connections of the 18650 battery.

A pair of these APTOYU solar lights on either side of the mast would charge and provide light for anyone walking on the boat decks and finger peers as well. There is a single keyhole in the back to mount the light, and a waterproof switch underneath (have to lift it off the screw to turn on / off, or change modes). So far they seem superior to the BAXIA light.

Attachments

• APTOYU LIGHT IMG_1334.jpg
    APTOYU LIGHT IMG_1334.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom