Engine room access from the stern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

k9medic

Vessel Make
420AC Sea Ray
I am now in lust with boats that have engine room access from the swim platform. Unfortunately I have no idea what manufactures have these features.

Can anybody help point me in a direction?

I have never seen anything like that except on smaller ski boats, bow riders, and what they call deck boats. I suppose an outboard qualifies too.

I am now in lust with boats that have engine room access from the swim platform. Unfortunately I have no idea what manufactures have these features.

Can anybody help point me in a direction?

Marlow, Broward, Horizon, Burger, Westport, Outer Reef, Johnson, OA, etc., etc.

65' Coastal Craft some Ocean Alexandrs, and as Capt. Bill 11 says, on and on.

Most MEGA yachts have that, along witha BIG price tag.

Our Selene 53 has access from the Lazarette.

That's what I was afraid of. I don't want something bigger than 65' and I can't have anything over a 5' draft.

I believe the Mainship 34T has access from the cockpit. I believe you lift a portion of the stairs to the flybrige. I'm not sure if the larger, later models also have the same. I like it much better than moving furniture and rolling up rugs in the solon in order to lift deck hatches.

Canoe Cove 41, 42. Both have the engines beneath the cockpit, on V drives.

I believe the Mainship 34T has access from the cockpit. I believe you lift a portion of the stairs to the flybrige. I'm not sure if the larger, later models also have the same. I like it much better than moving furniture and rolling up rugs in the solon in order to lift deck hatches.
Absolutely....and I love the convenience of not having to move anything except maybe the beer cooler. Chevking engine & filters while underway takes 1 min. [emoji1]

Californian 34 has ER access via hatch in the cockpit

Some Cheoy Lee also. I went aboard a very nice one at a boat show a couple of years ago. It had a heavy duty door about 5' high in the cockpit bulkhead, when opened you went down about 3 steps and were in a utility area, then fwd through another door into the ER. Boat was somewhere around 60'. It was new, and at a fire sale price. Either a mortgagee sale or similar situation. I liked the boat a lot.

I have seen numerous boats with stern access but all have been in the 75 plus foot range.

Shows you where my mind went. Right to the short boats and not the long. Derp.

What are you actually looking for, generally, for size? Might help direct some moe specific answers.

Some smaller boats that do not have that DOOR have a good hatch that lifts hydraulically
to allow good access.

The Marlow 58 and maybe some others have the smartest arrangement there is. Under the steps to the bridge, there's a door that opens to nice steps to the Engine Room. Costs virtually no additional space and gives nice easy entrance. That's what every boat in that size range with a flybridge should have.

I have been aboard 2 boats both rather large 60 ft or so that had the engine room fwd, in the bow.

I am convinced that this is the simplest and best arrangement for a single screw boat .

As both were older wood boats with heavy DD 6-71 , a more modern diesel could be half the weight .

Aft of the ER was was the shower space so noise was very well controlled bt 2 WT doors.

As the vessels had both done circumnavigations (one 2X) there would seem to be no reason not to refine the design into smaller boats.

A creative NA could do a 40-45 ft vessel that would be a dream to service.

Bayliner 3988 has a door from the aft deck and two steps down to the engine room, saves a lot of hatch moving to check fluids. Still a low headroom exercise without removing hatches but it helps for daily chores and a quick peek underway.
5999620_20161110112823166_1_XLARGE.jpg

Last edited:
for a smaller option, Fathom 40 and 43 have lazarette access to the ER.

Check out Mikelson 43's or 50's with v-drives. Access is through the cockpit floor. Keeps the stinky stuff out of the living spaces. The negative is the higher cockpit floor.

"Access is through the cockpit floor."

Frequently done on fish killers to change out engines in least time/lowest mess aboard.

But unless an oversized cockpit is desired it eats up a lot of valuable space.

"Access is through the cockpit floor."

Frequently done on fish killers to change out engines in least time/lowest mess aboard.

But unless an oversized cockpit is desired it eats up a lot of valuable space.

It doesn't really eat up space on these boats. Rather than a lazerette under the cockpit and an engine room under the salon, you've got engines under the cockpit, and a "basement" under the salon. And the stuff in the basement is clean and dry, and separated from the oily bits by a bulkhead.

Most annoying of all arrangements is as follows:

Nice Lazarette/Crew Cabin with access from stern. No access from that area to the ER.

A Fathom 40 I once looked at still had a nice size lazarette and then a watertight door from there into the ER. It was a pretty cool arrangement and the broker claimed it made the salon quieter when cruising, though i didn't get to hear the engine running.

fathom_Laz.JPG

There is a member on here that posted two pictures of his boat in a recent thread. I am trying to track that thread down but one was a side view of his boat. The other was from the quartering rear which clearly showed an access door off the swim platform.

The platform had "hoop" style railings and no dinghy.

I wish I could find it at that is what peaked my interest.

There is a member on here that posted two pictures of his boat in a recent thread. I am trying to track that thread down but one was a side view of his boat. The other was from the quartering rear which clearly showed an access door off the swim platform.

The platform had "hoop" style railings and no dinghy.

I wish I could find it at that is what peaked my interest.

You mean something like this? :D

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 73
What are you actually looking for, generally, for size? Might help direct some moe specific answers.

Some smaller boats that do not have that DOOR have a good hatch that lifts hydraulically
to allow good access.

Right. I'm curious too what you like about it, or what you are trying to accomplish.

All the boat that I have seen with aft access like you describe are set up that way to ensure that the crew can get about without having to be seen by the passengers. It's like an English Manor house with passages and doors for the minions to scurry about and do your bidding. So such designs tend to appear is larger, crewed boats.

Back
Top Bottom