Wood treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nordic Star

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nordic Star
Vessel Make
1969 Pilot House Trawler
What are the best products for treating wood? I have teak and mahogany. Thanks in advance.

The question may sound silly but what do you mean by "treatment" what do you want to achieve?

L.

I'm coming up on two years of 24/7 direct weather exposure on the exterior finishes with zero maintenance during that time. Late last summer the top of the toe and cap rails started to haze a little. Happy to report that the finish didn't fail over the winter. Consequently, I've begun recoating everything that can be brought back to my shop. The toe rail will have to wait for May/June weather.

I chose the varnish over epoxy method banking on the extended recoat schedule. So far I'm satisfied considering most varnish only recoats are done bi-annually.

FWIW: I used System 3 Silver Tip laminating epoxy(2 coats) followed by 5-6 coats of the S3 gloss spar varnish.

On interior window sills I've used McKlosky satin spar(light thinned) as a wiping varnish with great results. I've also used Watco satin wiping varnish on interior surfaces that don't see a lot of UV such as cabinet doors in the head.

If you choose varnish over epoxy you need to remove the amine blush resulting from epoxy cure. If not you may got bad results with your varnish.
Also if you do not put enough coat of varnish epoxy will suffer from UV if exposed. Better use UV resistant hardener that will not yellow and can withstand sun teeth.
In all case be sure epoxy is fully cured before trying to apply anything on it.

L.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom