SLP-STE Fuel Cooler Pencil Zinc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
Hello all. I'm looking for an accurate P/N for the thin pencil Zinc that is installed in the fuel cooler of my Yanmar 6LP-STE. The parts catalog calls out the wrong P/N. Thank you in advance.

I have picked up the pencil zincs from West Marine. I haven't been able to get the right length, so I cut them shorter. As long as the plug diameter is the same.

I have picked up the pencil zincs from West Marine. I haven't been able to get the right length, so I cut them shorter. As long as the plug diameter is the same.

I have this issue with the heat exchanger with my Cummins 5.9l. It uses a 1 3/4" long anode, the aftercooler uses 2" long anodes. Those slightly short anodes can be hard to locate so many simply take a hacksaw and cut a 1/4"-1/2" off the end of the anode.

So to the OP, if you can find the right diameter but not something short enough, grab the hacksaw.

Give the old number to your Yanmar dealer. They will give you the new number.

Thank you. Sorry for the delayed response. I bought a few zincs from west marine as spares and cut one down exactly as you had mentioned. Good thing I had a hack saw. Thanks again. Alex

I have this issue with the heat exchanger with my Cummins 5.9l. It uses a 1 3/4" long anode, the aftercooler uses 2" long anodes. Those slightly short anodes can be hard to locate so many simply take a hacksaw and cut a 1/4"-1/2" off the end of the anode.

So to the OP, if you can find the right diameter but not something short enough, grab the hacksaw.

Thank you. I did just that. You should have seen what was left of the zinc when I removed the plug. All that remained was the plug. With the location of this zinc, I can see how the previous owner missed it. It would have been nice if he used the manual. It does show the pencil zinc in the fuel cooler. Wrong size, but it does show a zinc none the less.

:eek::eek::eek: I changed last week to my qsb 5.9 3 x zinc. Just one length, either they were all short or they only use one size?:confused:

They were marthyr brand zinc and I did not notice the problem with zinc installation. I think the CM manual does not mention that it would be of different lengths, need to be checked?:ermm:

I was looking at that chart about two weeks ago. It shows a 2 inch Zinc which is too long. I'm beginning to think they don't make a 1.5 inch 00 pencil zinc. My miniature hacksaw did the trick a few days ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom