Mildew on headliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JILLBROWN

Vessel Name
WARLOCK
Vessel Make
1981 ISLAND GYPSY 32
I'm noticing spots of mildew on my vinyl headliner. What can I use to get it off that won't leave marks on the v-bunks and teak walls?

Thanks,
Seadog

Hydrogen peroxide in a pump spray bottle. Has always worked great for me. Maintainence clean it with white vinegar.

Make sure you know why the Mildew is there (water leak maybe).....

Spray from opening beer cans inside the salon. Ask me how I know.:banghead:

+1 to post #3. I suspect your liner is going below dewpoint. Check the temp in your boat, might have to turn the heater up a notch.

I keep my boat in your general neighborhood, it has been a rough winter, cold and wet.
My harbormaster estimated he blew down the waterlines here 15 times this winter!

Beyond that, I suggest a product called "Moldex" because it kills the hyphae (roots) that are growing into your vinyl, which most other treatments can't do. if you don't kill the mold's roots, the stuff will just grow back. It is the only product I've used that works. I use it on Mexican mold after my winter place gets hit by hurricane flood and am happy with the results.

The scary part is what does the other side of the vinyl look like? I pulled one overhead panel this week in my boat and had to deal with the same issue you are working on.

I find it at big box stores or big hardware stores.

Follow directions, use eye protection if applying overhead. Costs nothing to lay down plastic sheet on your good stuff too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom