Garmin Inreach Satellite Reception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Looking at getting a Garmin Inreach for my upcoming trip. Understand all the features, just looking for some user experience. I'm curious about the satellite reception. Would like to leave it on, pinging in my pilothouse. Understand for best reception it wants a clear unobstructed view of the sky. I have a number of GPS devices that work perfectly in the pilothouse, but they have numerous satellites to work with. So, if you have either the Delorme or the Garmin unit, what's your experience with indoors satellite reception?

Ted

InReach worked fine for us on our Alaska trip last summer. Our tracking was set on 10 minute intervals and our plan was the 30 buck a month choice.

We've also used InReach in Alaska for several years. In-door satellite reception has always been fine. We normally use it in the salon and have never had to take it outside to connect. We also have an Iridium sat phone but use the InReach the most based on cost. It's a good product IMO.

InReach worked fine for us on our Alaska trip last summer. Our tracking was set on 10 minute intervals and our plan was the 30 buck a month choice.

Where did you keep the unit on the boat and did you have any reception issues if it was inside the boat?

Ted

Hi Ted,

I have an Inreach SE, and it works on my flybridge with a thick GRP hardtop over it. I have not used it in the saloon, but imagine it would work (at least the manufacturer says it will work). The only thing that is tough is the initial activation, where it can take like 10 minutes to connect to the satellites.

3800 miles last year to SE Alaska and back, the Inreach SE sat on the pilothouse dash with very limited view of the sky and didn't miss a beat. Although we didn't use the text feature, the tracking function worked very well.

I've been following a Richard on Dauntless all over the Atlantic and now the Pacific. I think he kept his in the pilot house. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

Ted

Works well in pilot house of my Nordic but it has a lot of glass compared to yours. Keep it up near window level and you shouldn't have problem. The limitation on location is the length of charging cable and it's ability to stay there in a sea. Also seeing the flashing LED when you have a text message.

Tom

Thanks for all the input! Bought a Garmin Inreach with the suction cup mount / cradle. Will mount it on one of my side pilothouse windows for better reception. Been spending money like water the last few days. Lots of new stuff for the trip.

Ted

That sounds great! Be sure to do the North Channel (Georgian Bay) of Lake Huron - beautiful place. I assume at some point you will pass Toronto - you are under strict orders to stop for drinks and dinner with Maria and me.

That sounds great! Be sure to do the North Channel (Georgian Bay) of Lake Huron - beautiful place. I assume at some point you will pass Toronto - you are under strict orders to stop for drinks and dinner with Maria and me.

David, greatly appreciate your offer, but will have to get together in Cape Coral. This year's trip will only be the American side and not include Lake Ontario. There's too much to do in one year, so I'm focusing on the American side of the Lakes. My next trip will be to cruise up the Hudson, through Lake Champlain, to Montreal, and then spend the summer in the Canadian canals. Figure it's going to be a little busy up there this year with the 150th anniversary and all. Look forward to getting together with the two of you this winter.

Ted

I keep mine in a pen holder in the Pilothouse right under the front windows. It works well. I have found that the Inreach when paired with the iPad will interfere with the iPad gps and the navigation apps on the iPad. You might find that your boat seems to be located several hundred yards from the boats actual location.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom