"Weeping" Stainless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
All,

Does anyone have a good suggestion for removing the "rust" stain that occurs when stainless weeps onto the gel coat?

I have used acetone and didn't touch it.*

The stain is coming from a rear window where the stainless port hole meets the gel coat on the transome.

I guess "stainless" is really "stainmore" here.

Thanks for any help:)

I used FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) when I had a boat that did that. FSR is a bluish gell that will take the rust stain away. Works good on the seawater "moustache" too.

The solution to the rust weeping is to pasivate the stainless. If the item has been cut or ground since manufacture then the cut area will rust. There are several ways to passivate, do a search and find one you like that will work on the area you're having the problem.

Ken

Wichinox paste will re-passivate the SS and hopefully stop it from weeping.

I use Oxalic Acid.* You can buy it at hardware or marine stores in the US.* It should cost*less than $8.00/lb.* It's a dry powder and you mix 1-2 tables spoons in 1 liter of water.* It wall also take off the mustache.* After your all done, rinse with water.

Starbrite makes a product called Instant Hull Cleaner that will also work at ~20.00/quart.

-- Edited by Larry M on Sunday 10th of July 2011 10:27:26 AM

This stuff works pretty well. Oxalic acid based.

2bucks wrote:
The solution to the rust weeping is to pasivate the stainless. If the item has been cut or ground since manufacture then the cut area will rust. There are several ways to passivate, do a search and find one you like that will work on the area you're having the problem.

Ken
*I just learned something new.* Thank you Ken.** I have never heard of re-passivating Stainless Steel.* Read all about it with a google search.* Looks like you have hit on something here.

Thank you,

Taras

Back
Top Bottom