SF Bay this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Was going to take out a friend this weekend who is prone to seasickness and is a bit anxious about it.

Options are to take him out at the following times:

Saturday, April 22 from 5m - 8pm
or
Sunday, April 23 from noon - 3pm

Looks like it could be gusty on Sunday if I look at the forecasts for Alameda and San Francisco. However, the marine forecasts for the Bay look pretty much the same as always at 5 to 15 knots.

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on which day might be better based on your experience.

Thanks!
Mike

Looks like Saturday might be the calmer day. The wind and associated waves shouldn't be a concern if you leave Alameda and head west out of the estuary. Hang a left at Yerba Buena Lighthouse and cruise the city waterfront, South Beach marina, the ball park and back to Alameda. That will fill your allotted three hours and the route will provide best wind protection.

Just got home from a quick bay cruise - I was a bit surprised at the conditions, considering the forecast. We left San Rafael around 10AM, went through Raccoon Straight & out under the GG Bridge. The swells started building under the bridge & by the time we got to Point Bonita we were seeing 6' waves at about 8 seconds. We went up Bonita Channel, thinking it was just an ebb effect, but it stayed pretty lumpy. We turned around & fought the ebb back through the gate. The Bay wasn't too bad, but west of Angel Island had the usual ebb vs. wind waves...

The inner bay was flat.

I'm anchored at Angel Island right now. It's pretty. Flat water and starting to see blue sky!

Back
Top Bottom