Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Van Morrison with Moondance. Well, just because.

I don't think we have anything by the great Ray Charles. Here he is singing about a state that's pretty important to me.

And one more we will all remember.

Last edited:
Here's Janis Joplin singing a song that has become a road anthem. It was written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster. What a great talent to have it all end so young and tragically. I will always remember that raspy voice. RIP, Janis.

Last edited:
Speaking of raspy voices, here is Stevie Nicks with Fleetwood Mac and Gypsy. One of the greatest recording groups of all times.

Dreams

Last edited:
I agree, Fleetwood Mac are one of the best!

Here is a nice one by Brooks and Dunn

Thanks, Steve. We've not had much country music on the thread. Here's a kind of fun son from Brooks & Dunn.

I guess I'm in a country mood tonight. It's Steve's fault. Here is Garth Brooks and probably the best bar song ever. Sing along. Everyone knows the words.

Steve, you should not have put up that video of Dido. That little girl could make old man spend his money unwisely.:hide:

Another great road anthem. Who hasn't sung along with Willie on this one?

Last edited:
One of my favorite Santana jams...

'In the streets of Antibes' (Dans les rues d'Antibes) by Sidney Bechet.

At the time of the "Belle Epoque" in the 1930', the Antibes area, South of France, gained its popularity as wealthy people from around Europe and America discovered its natural beauty and built luxurious homes. They brought here a certain way of life made of fun, enjoying sandy beaches, sailing, and... Jazz. It was an immediate success. All Europe youth in search of fun and best know American stars used to go to Antibes.

In 1935 Antibes greeted Pablo Picasso, John Dos Passos, Dorothy Parker, Frank Jay Gould, Scott and Jelda Fitzgerald, Douglas Fairbanks, Rudolf Valentino, Mistinguett, Hemingway and ‘La Belle Otéro'.

After World War II, the exuberance atmosphere of Antibes started again, making it being the European New Orleans.
Sidney Bechet was impressed by the beauty of the place and married here in 1951, during a crazy day, made of orchestras in the streets, famous stars and journalists from all over the world, and dancers. Sidney Bechet even played for the fist time 'In the streets of Antibes', one of his greatest hits.

In 1960, the Jazz Festival of Antibes-Juan les Pins was launched. All the big ones came: Armstrong, Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan, Ray Charles, Hancock, Georges Benson, Keith Jarrett.

Nowadays, the Jazz festival is held every July.

Last edited:
Olivier,

If the streets of Antibes are a lovely as the street in the picture you certainly live in a beautiful area. I thought that the music had much New Orleans Dixieland influence. Our jazz musicians and singers have always done well in Europe. Our queen of the jazz singers, Ella Fitzgerald, loved Europe.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. WOW! Thanks for that. I've never seen that arrangement and it does bring back a LOT of memories.....I think...

OjWOrAzjR3GUM.gif

Well, Ian, that was certainly a wake up call. Are you certain you can slow down enough to drive a trawler?:D

:D. Glad to say it still gets the blood flowing, Don. I've been blessed with the ability to appreciate most things musical and I definitely like "trawler-speed" songs as well. This one--a rare live performance--makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. WOW! Thanks for that. I've never seen that arrangement and it does bring back a LOT of memories.....I think...

OjWOrAzjR3GUM.gif

Know whatcha mean, Mr. RT. My parents paid my brother and me $100 NOT to go to Woodstock. Like fools, we took it . . . and spent a lot of years trying to catch up. :eek:

OK, Ian. My youth goes back a little earlier than yours. You know about the Chattanooga Nightfall Series of concerts. Well, I got all excited when Jr. Walker was listed. I walked down to Miller Park with my lawn chair early to get a good position. Their plane was delayed by weather, so I missed seeing Jr. Walker and the All Stars perform. What a bummer!

How about a little of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose.

Here's a little bonus from the 1970s. You've got to Treat Her Like a Lady.

Last edited:
Here's one that goes back to my early high school days. The slow beat was perfect for doing "the stroll" at the sock hops held in the school gymnasium. You know, "be there or be square".

Great stuff, Don. All part of the soundtrack of my youth as well!

At one point in their careers, the Four Tops were notorious for keeping audiences waiting -- regardless of the weather. I sat waiting for them for an hour and a half with a full house in Reading PA during college years. Hardly anybody left and Mr. Stubbs & Co. still owned the place when they took the stage. Saw them again at Riverbend several years ago and they hadn't lost a thing. Here they are winning over a "new" generation in the mid-80s.

Not sure how this thread, started by a good Southerner, goes 289 posts without these guys.

Last edited:
I don't think we have had anything posted by one of the top selling groups of all times, The Four Seasons. I have seen them perform several times. It is always a big sing along.

Another big selling group, the Commodores. How about a little Brick House?

The anthem of the early rock and roll period sung by the Diamonds. The lead singer is the father of someone famous today, Tom Hanks. Here's Little Darling.

Per snopes, that is a false urban legend.
Great singing group, though.

Well, I didn't do a DNA test. Besides I've never guaranteed everything on this thread to be true. A good story is, well, a good story.:D

Welcome to the music thread. What music do you listen to out there on Nantucket?

My own tastes are eclectic. I enjoy boogie-woogie from the 1920s & 30s, especially the work of Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis, and Pete Johnson.
I enjoy swing and big band music, especially from the 'war years;' the 1940s.
I like southern gospel, especially as sung by male quartets (first tenor, tenor, baritone, bass).
If I had to choose one artist to listen to over and over for a long time, it would be Tennessee Ernie Ford, as exemplified here:
https://youtu.be/khxx3sCVhtE

What? No hornpipe?:D Actually my dad sang second tenor in Southern Gospel quartets. Mom didn't want him to turn pro, so he wound up in sales management. There are still certain songs that bring back memories of his wonderful singing voice. Tennessee Ernie Ford was a favorite of my Mom. I grew up around some of the music you like.

We have had nothing posted from the big band swing era. Perhaps you would like to post a couple of good ones you like.

Sorry about the corny comment. It was just too easy.

I've been sitting around with this group of pickers all morning now rolling our own music. Everything from Old Time and Bluegrass to Merle Haggard. Wish ya were here Don.

Believe it or not none of us have a YouTube account.

Suppose it would help if the picture attached :)

Attachments

• IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom