Anchor alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I'm looking to purchase an anchor alarm. I would sleep better with it when anchored.

I know nothing about them. Advice?

Your GPS plotter may already have one.
"Drag Queen" works on your cell phone, is popular, and free.

I Second the suggestion for trying Drag Queen. It works pretty well for us.

Ken

2015-01-07-Drag_Queen__8.png

I'm looking to purchase an anchor alarm. I would sleep better with it when anchored.

I know nothing about them. Advice?

As was mentioned, check your plotter they are often built in. Then there are any number of apps for iPhone or Android that will work great. If you use a phone or tablet, you just need to double check that your phone will still receive the GPS satellites in the cabin or that's you can hear the alarm.

I used one last Sunday while we were anchored for a short stay while we ate our on board Easter Brunch. Worked great.

I prefer one in the chart plotter or other device connected to the boat's GPS rather than rely on a phone GPS with questionable accuracy and reception when below decks.

I prefer one in the chart plotter or other device connected to the boat's GPS rather than rely on a phone GPS with questionable accuracy and reception when below decks.
I know of someone who might disagree, but is not around at present.
And Gaston, there are probably times when searching Drag Queen could have predictable but disconcerting results.

I agree with BruceK 100%, I use both in conjunction. My chart plotter Garmin, has an extra buzzer near by bunk that real loud.

Drag Queen on an I-device paired with a Bad Elf GPS-Pro works well if you can leave both units plugged in.

Our chartplotter alarm isn't loud enough, especially when the generator is running. I've tried Drag Queen, but it's just not for me. We use Anchor Watch, and love it.

Upgrade your anchor to an oversized new Gen type.
Near a year anchored every night and haven't dragged yet evening 80+ knots
I sleep like dead in pretty much anything.

Simi 60: What brand and size anchor are you using?

Our chartplotter alarm isn't loud enough, especially when the generator is running. .....

With a Garmin, you can add an external alarm. I would be surprised if other brands didn't have this feature as well.

Have used an old copy of Nobeltec on an old netbook for years as my anchor alarm. Netbook is powered by a DC cord, and is set to turn off the screen after one minute. I have attached external USB powered speakers. Easily wakes me if it goes off. Low power drain.

I am planning on experimenting with either Drag Queen or Anchor watch as a secondary system as I would like an alarm that would text, or email me when I am off the boat.

I installed the 'Drag Queen' app on my phone. A short time later, my wife came up to me with a "WTF is This????!!!! Do we need to talk??" LOL.

Any Chart Plotter released in the last 10 years should have an anchor alarm setting on it as well. Note that Drag Queen on your phone starts going off as soon as you go on a dingy ride.

I think they covered it, but would add the cell phone apps use a good amount of power so connected to external power source is recommended.

For those that use the external alarm off Garmin, is that a powered output or just a relay/contact closure? Thanks!

13 posts before the anchor alarm thread gets hijacked to start talking about preferred anchors and sizing.

13 posts before the anchor alarm thread gets hijacked to start talking about preferred anchors and sizing.
Apologies for attempting to address the REAL problem instead of applying a band aid solution.:rolleyes:

If anchor dragging was a disease then an app is not the cure.;)

Lou

Don't start. PLEASE,

I got the app Drag Queen. Thank you all! I'll see how it works out.

Donna

You'll love it. Follow the instructions and remember to add about 30 feet for accuracy. Be sure to plug it in at night to keep the battery up.

Enjoy.

I mounted a Garmin GMI20 display in my stateroom. It's powered by the nmea2000 network and will display most of the information traveling across the network. So I leave the network on without the MFDs. The display has an anchor drag alarm, but also tells me water depth (think tide watch), wind speed and direction, and also shows boat heading. The displays scroll through and there is also a digital clock. It can be dimmed to almost dark. Like the idea of the accuracy of my network GPS, knowing how much water is under the boat, and if the wind has changed.

Ted

I got the app Drag Queen. Thank you all! I'll see how it works out.
Dont forget to set it where you drop anchor NOT after let out scope & set anchor (as many do).
You can be more precise w allowed error band if you consider wind shifts and / or tides.
Draw some diagrams w error circles if not convinced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom