Stupid Website Tricks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denverd0n

Guru
I have to rant a little bit about a TOTALLY STUPID website for selling boats! Which one? Popyachts.com

Seriously. These people will not let you look at the boats for sale unless you register. WHAT!!??!! Could they BE any more stupid!?!

Let's do a quick mental exercise. How long would Walmart have stayed in business if, when he opened the first one, Sam Walton had stood at the door with a clip-board and told potential customers, "You can't come inside to look around until after you register"?

That's right. Not darned long at all! Probably wouldn't have finished that first day! I mean, for God's sake! Even "membership" stores like Sam's Club, Costco, and the like will let you come in and look around, check prices, see what they have, before they force you to sign up.

Okay, rant over. I feel better now. :)

Stupid Website

And yet, about half of the boats on Boattrader on So. Cal. are advertised by Pop Yachts, with no registration required?

Really, any valuable service on the Internet should be charging money.

The only alternative, and what became the dominant model is "you are the product".

But disposable email addresses are easy and free.

And it takes less time to just register than to get hot under the collar and post a complaint about having to do so.

Just use yachtworld. I think all brokers list there among other places.

I

Let's do a quick mental exercise. How long would Walmart have stayed in business if, when he opened the first one, Sam Walton had stood at the door with a clip-board and told potential customers, "You can't come inside to look around until after you register"?

Technically, that is how the Sam's Club model works. Named after the founder Sam Walton. In fact, under that model, you have to pay to join.

Just saying.

When I traveled as a kid and went shopping with Mum, I recall some shops had signs saying you could enter free of charge. I now can't even find discussion of the topic googling. Maybe in France? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

No, you need a service where you can pick up the emails to complete registration.

Greetings,
Mr. dd. I agree with you 100%. I never look at Popyachts. Once registered with similar sites, you're inundated with junk mail. Now I don't even bother...

Unless I have a solid reason to continue, as soon as I see that nonesense about registering I back out and do not visit again.
Lots of other sites allow you to look without that registration demand although they may ASK.

That is stupid, especially since I'd assume the people listing their boats are paying the bills.

I have to rant a little bit about a TOTALLY STUPID website for selling boats! Which one? Popyachts.com

Seriously. These people will not let you look at the boats for sale unless you register. WHAT!!??!! Could they BE any more stupid!?!

That's right. Not darned long at all! Probably wouldn't have finished that first day! I mean, for God's sake! Even "membership" stores like Sam's Club, Costco, and the like will let you come in and look around, check prices, see what they have, before they force you to sign up.

Okay, rant over. I feel better now. :)
I couldn't agree more. But the site that drives me crazy is the one that won't let you add a minimum price, forcing you to look at a gazillion junk boats selling for $6k. :facepalm:

Their site traffic data isn't as bad as you'd think. Roughly 10% the amount that yachtworld has and folks stay longer and view more pages per visit than YW too.

Did some of you guys really sign up for a Trawler Forum account with your real e-mail account?

"Just use yachtworld. I think all brokers list there among other places."

This may assure the purchaser of paying 10-20% more for the boat, as the seller has to add the broker expenses to the asking price.

Qualify, qualify, qualify.

That site is there to sell boats not provide entertainment. (that's what this site is for)
I bet they eliminate a lot of looky lous wasting bandwidth with that simple request.

Technically, that is how the Sam's Club model works.
No, actually, it is not. Sam's Club is happy to let you come in, look around, compare prices, even partake of any food giveaways that they are doing, all without giving them any information at all. It is only when you are ready to BUY from them, that they ask you to sign up. Popyachts insists that you sign up before you are even allowed to look. HUGE difference!

And, yeah, I know. I "get it." I could probably have gotten a disposable e-mail address and registered in less time than it took me to complain. So, seriously? No one out there has ever taken the time to rant about something just because they thought it was incredibly STUPID!?! Yeah. Sure. I believe that.

bugmenot.com -- a site I use regularly to get around annoying email-requiring logins. It only works for free sites, not paid ones.

popyachts.com passwords - BugMeNot to save you some time. :)

Edit: just tried it on the site -- be a tiny bit intelligent on the "last name" field, and it works just fine.

So, seriously? No one out there has ever taken the time to rant about something just because they thought it was incredibly STUPID!?! Yeah. Sure. I believe that.

I do it all the time. I firmly believe everyone has he right to express their opinions. The other side of that coin is everyone else is entitled as well. I wouldn't take it personally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom