View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Radar

Quote:
Keith wrote:
I've been aboard boats that use radar superimposed over the charplotter image. Personally, I don't like it, because it is like a man with two watches...which one is correct? While we know the radar always is, I don't like the two images on top of each other.
While I'm used to (and like) aviation radar overlays on map displays in my work at Boeing, I don't like it for marine use.* The screen becomes far too cluttered for my taste.*

But for people with integrated radar-plotter systems that do not offer an overlay function-- or like us you didn't spring for the black box that tells the radar where north is so it can be overlaid on the chart--* a "poor man's"overlay can be accomplished by splitting the screen between the radar and the plotter.* If the plotter is set to course up or heading up, the plotter display will be more or less oriented to the radar display which is "bow up."* Then if you set the scales of the two displays to be somewhat similar it becomes relatively easy to mentally overlay them.* So it becomes pretty easy to determine if such-and-such a return on the radar is this navigation buoy or reef marker*over here or is most likely a boat, and so on.

We run north up on the two plotters on the 8-knot Grand Banks (we use course up on the 30-mph Arima) but when we're actually in fog with the GB we usually*split the Furuno NavNet display to show both radar and plotter and then*set the plotter to course up to make it easier and faster to relate the returns on the radar to the navaids, rocks, reefs, and land masses out in front of us.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote