Vent line cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackD

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Big Fish
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
On my '02 Pilot... the vent cap for the fuel line was sheared off. See attached photo plus what I bought from Attwood. There is NO way to access the back of it from the inside. What is on the inside? I can't imagine that I can unscrew the broken part from the outside and just screw in the new part without something on the inside falling or spinning.

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_134919715_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170405_134919715_HDR.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • attwood.jpg
    attwood.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 121
If the original vent still has a nut on the outside and cannot possibly fall inside the boat, you can just install a cover over the fitting and not bother with the part you bought.

I don't have a photo handy but on my boat, it's a stainless steel "V" shaped piece that's angled back to keep rain and sea spray out. Something like this

4594503.jpg

Turn it so the opening is at 45 degrees down and aft.

The clamshell cover that Wes showed above is exactly what installed over all four of my vents on my Pilot 34. I agree, it is impossible for normal humans to reach inside to get to the hose and replace that vent fitting.

Those fittings are plastic and the sunlight destroys them after a dozen years. So I just put angled clamshell covers over them and all is good.

This is what I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RDQV2W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to trim the locking ring of the crapped out vent fitting on the sides with a chisel to fit nicely under the small clamshell cover. On one of my vents, I had to trim back the length of the fitting. This was the holding tank vent and I suspect that it was bigger than the others.

But it now looks like Mainship built it this way.

David

Last edited:
So it's ok for mud dawbers to move in?
Find a way to make access to the back side. Cut an access port.

Fixed

I was concerned about the mud dauber with the clamshells too. Plus looking for a lazier way out. I cut the threads off the new fitting and epoxied to the old.

Back
Top Bottom