MS 400 ER hatch hinges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I've been considering adding flush mount hinges and hatch lifters to the engine room hatch in our Mainship 400.

For those of you that don't know the boat, it is in the center of the main salon, it is about 4' x 5', pretty heavy and awkward to lift out, then once you get it out, where do you put it?

We have NuTeak synthetic teak floors in our main salon.

I'm thinking of adding 2 or maybe 3 hinges and a pair of gas hatch lifters so that I can just tilt it up. I'd probably hinge the forward edge.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Would the lifters be strong enough to hold the hatch up? Anybody done this project?

I am thinking of a hinge sort of like this: Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

Hatch lifter something like this:Attwood Marine - Gas Springs

I did something similar on the aft hatch in my saloon. I did not use flush mount hinges because of the location of the hatch. It is tucked up next to a drawer so the hinges being exposed are a problem. I also wanted the ability to take them off if I didn't like it and be able to simply fill a few holes. Flush mount would make a nicer install for a hatch in the middle of the floor.

I considered some type of hatch lifter, but felt that I wanted the hatch to be lifted up and out of the way as much as possible. I was able to use a simple hook and ring to hold the hatch upright.

It worked out great and was a really nice addition. I am looking for ways to do something similar on the other 3 hatches. For those a flush or hidden hinge will have to be used.
IMG_0107.JPG

I've not done this but I looked at it a long time ago.

There are instructions for figuring out which struts you need. Attwood should have some thing but additionally look up RV sources , gas struts, some one will have those instructions. They are actually used in a lot of applications besides boats and RVs.

You will need to weigh the hatch and then use the formula to figure out strut strength, positioning and bracketry.

I would still use a safety strap regardless as they are not foolproof and if the hatch falls on you it could seriously injure or kill you.

yes, a safety strap would be a great idea. One of the reasons I'm considering this is that I've had the hatch fall a few times while it has been off. About the only place to lean it is against the fridge and it's not very secure there.

My main worry honestly is installing the hinges. We just had the flooring done about a year ago and it was a big spendy project. I have a router and have used it a decent amount but I'm quite capable of messing something up with it. I don't want to foul up the entire floor.

Maybe if I mess up I could just replace a single strip of the NuTeak?

My main worry honestly is installing the hinges. We just had the flooring done about a year ago and it was a big spendy project. I have a router and have used it a decent amount but I'm quite capable of messing something up with it. I don't want to foul up the entire floor.

This was my concern as well. l made a type in my original post, the exposed hinges are NOT a problem in my location. However, if I was to do it on the other hatches I would need to use flush hinges. I too have a router and know how to use it, but that is a far cry from being actually good at it.

Yeah, I'm thinking of calling the guy who installed our floor to see what he thinks, he was very helpful. I think if I mess it up I may be able to just peel up that strip of material and replace it.

I have a 2007 400 and it has piano hinges, hidden. I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure if it came with them.

I have a 2007 400 and it has piano hinges, hidden. I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure if it came with them.

Cool. Which edge of the main hatch is hinged? Are there some sort of lifters or does the hatch just flip up? Any way you could shoot me a pic?

Thanks in advance.

The hinge is on the port side of the main hatch so it opens towards the couch.
The small hatch on the starboard side also is hinged. There aren't any lift assist but it does have a strap to limit how far it opens. I will take some photos this weekend when I'm back home.

Hatch hinge

I'm sorry I'm late with this.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 64
That strap is a good idea. Is is just a nylon strap screwed into the both the hatch and the frame?

Just nylon webbing screw and a washer.

Back
Top Bottom