Anchor Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT Nest

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
M/T Nest
Vessel Make
1984 Monk 36 #31
Does anyone have any ideas where to find an emergency lever for a Maxwell/ Nilsson HWC700 anchor windlass? I have contacted both Nilsson and Maxwell but they don't carry the unit or have parts for it. If I could get a good picture with deminsions I could make one. A little nervous about dropping anchor and not being able to recover.

Are you referring to the flat bar used to release the cone clutches, as well as raise the anchor if Hulk Hogan is on board? *Mine is basically 1/4" x 2" aluminum with a small cylinder attached that mates up with a slot on the windlass. *I can send you pictures if that would help.

I always cary an anchor ring and bouey just*in case.

Slip on the ring and bouy and drive away.

*The bouy and the boat pulls the anchor.

SD

skipperdude wrote:
Slip on the ring and bouy and drive away.

******* The first time I saw this done was when I was fishing out of Whalers Cove, Alaska. The skipper of our 30 ft. boat did this every time we moved from one spot to another. It made retrieving the anchor a snap.

How big/large need the bouy be?* Should have something to do with the rode and anchor?* Hard to see how this would work with an all-chain rode.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 5th of July 2011 04:49:10 PM

Is this your windlass? If so I can make a sketch of that bar for you, but I am on vaca next week so it might be a couple of weeks before you'll get it. Just let me know.

Attachments

• img_0745.jpg
    img_0745.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 176
  • img_0746.jpg
    img_0746.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 168
Sorry to be pedantic, but just for the record it's spelt buoy...

Attachments

• screen shot 2011-07-06 at 8.11.18 am.jpg
    screen shot 2011-07-06 at 8.11.18 am.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 128
original poster:

If you contact Will Vrooman at Vetus Maxwell:

phone: 443-459-4082
email: wvrooman@vetus.com

You will be speaking with an 'expert' on all things Maxwell. I ran into him at the Seattle boat show this January and he walked me through the entire rebuild process on my vintage 70's horizontal unit.
He also has dimensions, sketches for the emergency handles. He spent his early years in the shop doing repairs and such.

Super helpful, didnt earn a penny from me other than me relating the incredible customer service he gave - which is well deserved advertising.

pic is pre-rebuild.

Attachments

• nill windl.jpg
    nill windl.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 238
Ha!!!Ha!!!
biggrin.gif

"Spelt" would that be an all grain buoy Or an extract.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I spilled it or I spilt it. A waste of good grain

SD

Not so fast SD. Spelt has both meanings - the grain, and a form of the verb,'to spell'.

spelt1 Pronunciation:/splt/ past and past participle of spell....an alternative to spelled...

spelt2 Pronunciation:/splt/ noun [mass noun]
an old kind of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two narrow grains , not widely grown but favoured as a health food.

Sorry, not trying to play one up - just an interesting fact I guess...

"If you can't repair it, maybe it shouldn't be on the boat"

If you can't speel it, maybe it shouldn't bee on the boot.
confuse.gif

Peter B wrote:
Not so fast SD. Spelt has both meanings - the grain, and a form of the verb,'to spell'.

spelt1 Pronunciation:/splt/ past and past participle of spell....an alternative to spelled...

spelt2 Pronunciation:/splt/ noun [mass noun]
an old kind of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two narrow grains , not widely grown but favoured as a health food.

Sorry, not trying to play one up - just an interesting fact I guess...
*Yep, I get it.**I guess you are not a home brewer.

The same with to spill something.

*Spilled or spilt.

Spilled milk/ Spilt milk.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 7th of July 2011 09:52:24 AM

Thank you. The guy had exactly what I needed. Sent me drawings within the hour.

Hello MT,

Every once in a while you can find a true expert. Will is 'it' on Maxwell.

Plus he understands customer service - the old fashioned way.

I suspect he will continue to be generous with his help and information for a long time.

I know it convinces me to buy his brand in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom