Cruising The Exumas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool drone video, also your stills are great as well, thanks for sharing.

As for getting in the dink, very hard and I consider myself in shape (round is a shape right??), I've used the outboard cavitation plate as a step, also I saw a video once of a women getting in a raft with this unusual backwards flip thing, can't find the video, but maybe someone else has it, worth trying it.

Very cool. Can't wait to get back. Thanks for posting those. You're making us wish we were there.

Y'all are eating very well!

Thank you for sharing...I'm really enjoying reading all about your trips and viewing your lovely photos.
The trip you are doing is at the top of my bucket list. Hopefully and God willing, maybe one of these days in the future!

The drinking isn't bad either - me and the Captain are becoming best friends!

That's so cool. I hope to do a Bahamas trip soon. Maybe my wife will actually join me!

Have the winds died down any? It's been crazy windy lately for us down here on the south Texas gulf coast.

Re the winds. No they have not

Last Thursday we pounded through six footers for four hours to Georgetown. Pretty miserable.

I don't care much for Georgetown but really enjoy the out island regatta. A drunk fest like spring break.

I don't care much for Georgetown but really enjoy the out island regatta. A drunk fest like spring break.

Don't care for it much ourselves. Lesson learned if we ever come here again - have people fly into Staniel or Normans. Means you don't have to go to Georgetown OR go outside if the weather is bad.

Menzies

I know the strip at Staniel was damaged but planes were using it last summer, Watermaker flies in. Norman's I'm not sure of.

Years ago I was on the beach side or Normans and a trio of big dudes with MP5 and Dobermans plus German accepts advised me to leave the island. I didn't ague. LOL

Both airstrips are open and fully functional.

No, I used them on the four hour run to Georgetown with no issues. The fluid is near full. I do have a squeak at the starboard stabilizer head where I think the ram is rubbing. I lock it when at anchor and inside now.

Looking at the forecast for the next two weeks I will probably not need them at all, but may on the trip back through Providence, West End and the stream.

Will be keeping an eye on them.

No, I used them on the four hour run to Georgetown with no issues. The fluid is near full. I do have a squeak at the starboard stabilizer head where I think the ram is rubbing. I lock it when at anchor and inside now.

Looking at the forecast for the next two weeks I will probably not need them at all, but may on the trip back through Providence, West End and the stream.

Will be keeping an eye on them.

Yeah I was wondering if that was a normal thing. How do they stay cool?

I don't know anything about active stabilizers, and in my ignorance have always thought I would lean toward a "simple" paravane setup if I ever had the chance. Cables and poles and wire I understand. Electronics and hydraulics not as much.

The hydraulic fluid is kept in a large reservoir, which has level and temperature gauges. The fluid serves to lubricate and cool. At each helm station there are overheat and low oil warning lights.

Paravanes, once deployed can be simpler - the issue becomes deploying and recovering them as a cruising couple. Especially in significant seas.

Prior to buying this boat we had an offer in on a 52 footer which did not have stabilizers so I was researching gyro stabilizers. Many upsides, including stabilizing at anchor. A couple of downsides one of which s requiring a sine wave generator which has to be running for the stabilizers to work. Hence need to be on as you are underway and at anchor as well.

The stabilizer fluid is cooled by either an electric raw water pump or a raw water tap off one of your engines.

If they over heated they were not getting the proper amount of cooling water. Or the raw water going to them off an engine is to hot to cool them properly under higher loads/use.

They should not over heat no matter how hard they are working.

Of course it could be the heat exchanger for them needs to be cleaned out.

My opinion only-

I don't like holes in the bottom of my boat or things growing out the bottom so my next boat will have a gyro or two. No biggie to power them as the generator gets started when we leave the dick and only gets shut down when we dock again except for service checks. I've been on boats with stabilizers but never owned one so I have no idea how much they actually help and having never had I have no need for them up to now.

The stabilizer fluid is cooled by either an electric raw water pump or a raw water tap off one of your engines.

If they over heated they were not getting the proper amount of cooling water. Or the raw water going to them off an engine is to hot to cool them properly under higher loads/use.

They should not over heat no matter how hard they are working.

Of course it could be the heat exchanger for them needs to be cleaned out.

Thanks. My brother and SIL are arriving early this afternoon. We was the engineering CPO on nuclear sub's. I have already told him that he needs to look at my MSDs, so I will add the stabilizers cooling system!
Though he already told me he wasn't here to work, so maybe it will have to wait until I get back! :)

Thanks. My brother and SIL are arriving early this afternoon. We was the engineering CPO on nuclear sub's. I have already told him that he needs to look at my MSDs, so I will add the stabilizers cooling system!
Though he already told me he wasn't here to work, so maybe it will have to wait until I get back! :)

Tell him fixing things is SOP for cruisers. Crew or guests. Relatives included. ?

Yeah, that's going to work. :)

Good thinking. Many captains have lost their ship due to a mutiny of the crew. :)

Back
Top Bottom