Sourcing A Dingy (RIB) - online, dealer, ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kev_rm

Vessel Name
Kismet
So the dingy that came with boat, which was end of life when I got it (and I knew that), is now *really* end of life as in dead.

Where did you buy your last inflatable was it a good deal and how did it work out?

I'm not picky or religious about the exact parameters - mainly looking for long term value - good quality/brand e.g. AB Achilles Zodiac, lower end of creature comforts.

Thanks in advance for input.

In 2013 our 13 year old Avon rib was retired after 13 years of nearly year round use. We shopped around and bought a Zodiac Hypalon 310 rib from Solutions One in Tampa. Their delivered price was better than Defender at the time. Defender would be my suggestion as to a place to start though. They are very knowledgeable and experienced and their prices are hard to beat..

If you want a quality skiff, the easiest online option would be defender.com

I did not buy my skiff there. I did buy replacewment tubes for my Zodiac YL340 there. And am very happy

I have a West Marine (BoatUS) 8' rollup bottom dinghy that has lasted over 20 years. It's beginning to look a little shabby and I've had to remake two of the floor slats but it still holds air.

I have a West Marine (BoatUS) 8' rollup bottom dinghy that has lasted over 20 years. It's beginning to look a little shabby and I've had to remake two of the floor slats but it still holds air.

that's what I am replacing... not sure how old, guessing 10yrs or so.. but it did not hold up all that well.... bow seams and trim glue toast and hypalon was cracking and leaking.

Edit: FWIW it also was not cared for well at all, left outdoors partially deflated for several years.

I got mine on the 4th of July sale 2 years ago.

Price was better than Defender, plus free shipping to local store. Plus got something like $150 in rewards coupons for West Marine stores.

I think the quality is good enough (hypalon)....

If a problem, I can always take it to a local store and work it out with them....Defender is great...but this deal had the edge for me.

I bought one of these last year. Used for 5 months last summer and happy with the purchase.

I like the idea that I can put it on shore and not worry about hearing that ominous "WHOOOSH".

Yacht Tender 11.5 - Bullfrog Boats

Try the BoatUS classifieds or if in California, Latitude38. Loved my Bullfrog when I had it.

We got our Achilles RIB at Defender, it was a floor model on sale at a good discount.

We also at a 17year old Avon we bought at Defender, loved it, good match for a 8HP 2 stroke Yamaha, but things change and we needed a replacement, looked long and hard at AP and Achilles, but prices were high, like $5k. We ended up buying a West Marine 310 Fiberglass RIB for $2800, used it one full season and its great, rides really well in the chop.

...........Where did you buy your last inflatable was it a good deal and how did it work out?

I'm not picky or religious about the exact parameters - mainly looking for long term value - good quality/brand e.g. AB Achilles Zodiac, lower end of creature comforts. .

Any time anyone mentions "Zodiac", I have to say that in my experience, Zodiac is a piece of crap! Yea, I know people buy them but my plywood (not even marine plywood) transom rotted through in under three years and Zodiac would not honor the warranty. I ended up buying an Achillies, from a local dealer because I was heading out on a cruise and needed a dinghy. As for the Achillies, it hasn't rotted yet and it seems better built but the valves are harder to deal with than the Zodiac.

If I were in the market again, I would seriously consider one of the Korean inflatables and expect just a few years from it.

Defender is probably the largest mail order dinghy sellers so check with them. West Marine often puts theirs on sale and you can touch and feel them and save on shipping costs.

Not sure about Rolls Royce....
I would consider this more in that category:

2013 Williams Jet Tenders 445 Dieseljet Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

That's the smallest of their diesel models. Speed is exaggerated. Only about 35 knots WOT. Now the same tender with gas, a Textron 120 hp will hit 46 knots.

In the FLL are, Nautical Ventures is a huge seller of new and used RIB's.

Oh and while we love our Williams RIB's, they're not the Rolls Royce. That would probably be Carbon Craft (with a nod to Castoldi).

1-carbon-slider2.jpg

As to quality in an outboard rib, you can't beat Novurania, but pricey. I've seen a lot of people going to AB. They are available locally in most areas.

Walker Bay has a 20% off sale right now, USA only. I really like my hypalon Supertender... no relation, connection or birddogs.

Defender often has Non current (last years) models at big discounts. Bought my Mercury (quicksilver) there and very pleased..

Here's yet another vote for Defender. My mother still lives in Connecticut so when I had the opportunity, I took a detour to their big showroom in Waterford, CT. Nothing beats actually seeing all those dinghies in person, all blown up and set up. We also got a great deal on a close out model (Zodiac Aero 260). I got to step on the inflated floor, got to feel the stiffness in person, compare sizes and features, and heft the weight for real (we store ours on the bow so we lift it over the bow rail for longer runs, so it can't be too heavy). Buying online or long distance just doesn't compare. Unless you live near CT or have the opportunity to get there, that may not be practical of course.

I bought one of these last year. Used for 5 months last summer and happy with the purchase.

I like the idea that I can put it on shore and not worry about hearing that ominous "WHOOOSH".

Yacht Tender 11.5 - Bullfrog Boats

Even I like the Frog. You can beach it yes. But only on a rising tide. It would take four big guys to pack that puppy above high tide and only if you removed the engine first.

Even I like the Frog. You can beach it yes. But only on a rising tide. It would take four big guys to pack that puppy above high tide and only if you removed the engine first.

How about the 10' with only a 9.9 or 15hp motor?

Look on Craigslist. I bought an AB in very good condition for less than half the new price.

We still have a 2003 Achilles hypalon we use with a 2 stroke Yamaha 15. Bought it from defender new. The whole package engine incl weighs around 200 pounds. We roll it up and keep it in a deck box when it's not being used.

Walker Bay has a 20% off sale right now, USA only. I really like my hypalon Supertender... no relation, connection or birddogs.

Could be useful for OP.

We have a WB Genesis 310FTD Hypalon model and we're reasonably satisfied. The floor arrangement is comfortable, and storage is useful. In fact, we bought an extra athwartships seat, since there are two installation positions, partly for additional off-the-tubes seating and partly for extra storage,

The folding transom feature is no longer useful for us, since we got a trailer (hence don't have to stuff the thing into the back of our Suburban for en route to winter storage).

The 340 has slightly higher load limits, but the only difference is in tube length at the stern; interior space remains the same. I wasn't sure I had enough leeway on our mothership to carry the 340 athwartships on the transom, though...

We bought ours from the local dealer; can't tell how that might have affected price, but it's a dealer we've known and have confidence in...

-Chris

Interesting thread!! I dread the day I need to look for a dinghy when my current one finally tells me "ENOUGH!"

For many years I listened to people telling me "they don't build them (whatever them happened to be) today like they used to!" I often challenged if they meant better construction, better safety considerations, better engineering? Most times I responded by saying "darned good thing they don't!"

Back to the dinghy. Mine is an old Avon 10RIB that I purchased so long ago, that many then young people have married, raised and educated children and those children now have children. Yeah....1987! And my old Avon continues to perform admirably. The fiberglass bottom features a double layer of fiberglass to provide a small bilge that helps keep our feet dry. As I type, it remains sitting in its chocks mounted onto our shrink wrapped Silverton's bow waiting to perform for another year.

Maybe there are replacement products sold that can emulate the fine performance we continue to enjoy with our Avon........but I doubt it. I just wish these old dinghies were still being manufactured.

Interesting thread!! I dread the day I need to look for a dinghy when my current one finally tells me "ENOUGH!"

For many years I listened to people telling me "they don't build them (whatever them happened to be) today like they used to!" I often challenged if they meant better construction, better safety considerations, better engineering? Most times I responded by saying "darned good thing they don't!"

Back to the dinghy. Mine is an old Avon 10RIB that I purchased so long ago, that many then young people have married, raised and educated children and those children now have children. Yeah....1987! And my old Avon continues to perform admirably. The fiberglass bottom features a double layer of fiberglass to provide a small bilge that helps keep our feet dry. As I type, it remains sitting in its chocks mounted onto our shrink wrapped Silverton's bow waiting to perform for another year.

Maybe there are replacement products sold that can emulate the fine performance we continue to enjoy with our Avon........but I doubt it. I just wish these old dinghies were still being manufactured.

Wow 1987 that is crazy. I'm sure in addition to an excellent product that is also the result of some TLC on your part!

I just threw away a 1988 Avon with plywood floors as the stitching was going bad.

Was a light to medium use boat, but still held air well and the hypalon looked great.

We've had the hypalon 10'4" Achilles for 10 years and it gets heavy use. It's our car/4 wheel drive. With 2 adults/the pooch and our 2 stroke 9.8 hp, it will fly. It's also pretty easy to get out of the water and into when snorkeling. The front locker is a plus. In the off season, it gets covered and we let the air out of the tubes. We'd buy another.

Achilles HB-315DX Rigid Hull (RIB) 10' 4", Gray Hypalon, 2016

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom