Chinese diesel, deutz technology

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually if you are looking at the Weichai diesels they are excellent. Parts available in Europe and Chicago. Biggest problem you will have is prejudice in opinion against "Harbor Freight and Walmart" engines.

Dare to be different!

Probably the sign of things to come.
These aren't the HD motorcycles of the 60's.

Cummins engines and La France fire vehicles have manufacturing in china with good north American or European quality control oversight to name two. You can get either end of the quality scale from China just like anywhere else.

Thanks you for experience!! Gonna take a second look... Let me get more information and back to report... could be useful for somebody thinking about repowering in a cheap way...

Btw most are rated 12,000hrs TBO, the smaller ones 6,000hrs.

All the Deutz engines I worked on with problems were because of abuse. Farmers will take far better care of their livestock than their equipment.

I had one Deutz engine driving an irrigation pump for 30+ years that ran more than 50,000 hours. My ideal trawler would be 50' long with two six cylinder Deutz air cooled engines. I've never seen as solid an engine ever built that could compete with the 1970-1980 air cooled Deutz engines for reliability and fuel consumption.

Deutz ran into much financial trouble in the last 20 years and has taken far too many partners in, watering down the quality of their products and licensing their engines to lots of other.

The Italian Ruggerini tried it and had so much trouble keeping the oil and water separate that they simply gave up. Lots of construction equipment is supplied with a Deutz Ruggerini engine that is OIL cooled just because they gave up trying to keep the cooling water apart...

A side note: John Deere hired many engineers during a Deutz layoff in the mid 1980's and pretty much did a brain dump of what Deutz could do, and right after that, John Deere engine fuel consumption dropped by about half and reliability went up. Now they are far closer together in power output and fuel consumption.

So, my next favorite engine would be JD...

Lots of diesel parts for US, Europe and other engine makers come from China. That's how China learned. Usually the engine is assembled in its home country plant, but not the smaller models.

My ideal trawler would be 50' long with two six cylinder Deutz air cooled engines.

Ever work in an engine room with a radiator cooled generator?

Ever work in an engine room with a radiator cooled generator?

Sounds like a sweat shop job...

Deutz engines can have a manifold for hot side air which can be routed inboard for heating or overboard with the exhaust stack.

Check these babies
Marine

I have one and I am totally happy with it

Attachments

• DSC00342.jpg
    DSC00342.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 154
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 126
While we're talking about off-brand engines;

What about hatz from germany (as well as Deutz).

Maritime Applications, pump, generating set - Hatz Diesel

The biggest downside I see is they only do 50hz gensets...

One I specified for a portable system had a single bearing generator and an A/C compressor on the PTO. 18kw output and 2 liter per hour burn rate. That gives you power (three phase and 50hz power) and A/C cooling if needed.

Engines

At
My work we have lots of them look like a great engine all of the ones we use are oil cooled no water in them

They are solid diesel engines, but how they got to being oil-cooled is funny.

Lots of bobcats and other construction equipment have them and they work for years under horrid conditions. Oil isn't a good conductor of heat (about 1/4th of water) so it takes more oil to go through larger radiators to cool the oil back down for another trip around the engine.

Your oil costs go up but you don't need water and your cooling system won't corrode.

They are small 3 cylinder I work ar an airport most of the bag tugs are powered by they don't fail very often and the oil changes are fare apart

In the USA an International DT 360 or 466 would be first choice .

Almost new from skool bus crashes are available for $3,000 or so and a rebuilt TD is affordable.

All US means parts at the counter instead of at the end of a private pipeline.

Oil isn't a good conductor of heat (about 1/4th of water) so it takes more oil to go through larger radiators to cool the oil back down for another trip around the engine.

Your oil costs go up but you don't need water and your cooling system won't corrode.

Is the oil change interval comparable to water cooled diesels?

Sealing of injector pump

These units have "lead seals" in the injector pumps. Is this a common practice?

"These units have "lead seals" in the injector pumps. Is this a common practice?"

The lead seals may just be on the adjustments, a way of keeping track of weather someone tried to get more HP and RPM .

Looking at the pricing of these engines , even with the labor cost in China, makes me think we are getting screwed in the USA and Euroland.

Some of these are cheap enough to purchase a pair , for a ready supply of parts.

Yes but at the prices advertised they are either IMO2 compliant for the EU or are even tier 1. The Weichai diesels sold in America are all natural gas units not diesel (same engine of course) which allows them to meet EPA standards. They sell like crazy in Europe and have a solid reputation. Contact Abato for more info if you are serious.

Back
Top Bottom