Foredeck/Anchor Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad_viking3

Vessel Make
Californian 34 LRC
First photo is what my foredeck looks like now.

Second photo are the parts that were in the cabin.

Can someone post photos on how all this goes together?

What was the original windlass on the Californian 1982 34 LRC?

:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_5030.jpg
    IMG_5030.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5032.jpg
    IMG_5032.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 119
There could be any number of configurations based upon whatever windlass was last installed. Most of them look something like these with an upper and lower platform and three legs.

Attachments

• 34pulpit.jpg
    34pulpit.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 91
  • BowPulpit34.jpg
    BowPulpit34.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 98
If that's all the parts you have, it looks like you might be missing some pieces and hardware like the lower platform and bow anchor roller.

On early Californians, the bow pulpit and windlass were an option. Some were installed by yacht dealers or owners, so may not all be the same. Although, I can't imagine manhandling a heavy anchor and chain without one. :angel:

From your pics, The parts you have don't look like they've ever been installed, no appearance of predrilled holes for support posts, pulpit railing and anchor roller. Maybe a replacement pulpit? Also it looks to be a little on the light side for a boat that weighs as much as a twin diesel 34' Californian. It should look like the pics TG posted.

the windlass would mount on the lower platform, which is missing. What's the thickness of the platform you have?

This is a view from the bow, just to give you another angle. Note the thickness of the platform. (The anchor cat is an owner option.)

Attachments

• Bently.jpg
    Bently.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
LarryB,
For 30 to 40' boats the "pulpit" is not necessary for most skippers.
One only needs to lift several feet of chain and the anchor once it breaks water. Step up to the rail and pull the anchor and 2 or 3' of chain up onto the foredeck. I use a boat hook. There it can be made secure w chocks typical of most Danforth deck mounts.

What do you gain?
You no longer pay moorage for the 2 or 3' of boat length known as a "bow pulpit".
Your boat is better looking w/o the "pulpit" appendage on the bow.
The boat itself is much stronger and able to take bumps (especially from the side) than a screwed or bolted on board.
Simplified maintenance not having to look after the pulpit.

What do you loose?
Need to physically lift the anchor aboard.
Deployment time is 1 or 2 minutes slower.
Anchor is "underfoot" on the foredeck.

Of course the option is only available to those like me that have an anchor light enough to easily lift over the rail. My anchors are usually 15 to 22lbs and I have no problem w them. Since I'm prone to getting hernias I can't lift more but most men can easily lift 35 to 55lbs so this option is available to most skippers of boats up to 40' long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom